Pilot bearing Removal 2019 Mt-82

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I agree the pic is misleading. That is the flywheel and the teeth are not visible. You can see the surface has some bluing from where the clutch has been riding on it.
Hello; Thanks. Learned something new today.
Sponsored

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Here’s pics of my stock removed pressure plate and dual clutch. It will be for sale. It only has 40k on it and is in great shape.

IMG_8026.jpeg

IMG_8022.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_8021.jpeg

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
If the pilot bearing is not a serviceable part, then you got a deal on the new flywheel but since it is pressed into the flywheel and the flywheel can be removed from the crank why did they not just press the complete pilot bearing assy out in a floor press from the back side of the flywheel. Is the hole on the back side (crank side) of flywheel not showing any of the outer portion of the part of the pilot bearing that the roller bearing cage was pressed into, a socket or round piece of steel in a floor press would have quickly removed that pilot bearing.

Just curious.

BD

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure if the bearing is able to be pressed out. Visually I cannot tell if the backside is part of the flywheel or the bearing. I’ll learn more later when I get my car. I’ll ask the main transmission tech who’s on vacation and/or the service manager.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure if the bearing is able to be pressed out. Visually I cannot tell if the backside is part of the flywheel or the bearing. I’ll learn more later when I get my car. I’ll ask the main transmission tech who’s on vacation and/or the service manager.
Can you get a pic of the crank side of flywheel where the pilot bearing is at if you can and post here so we can determine if it can be pressed out or not.

BD

Sponsored

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Got some pics today. Mechanic said his PFS computer system said that pilot bearing is not serviceable for the 5.0 and 5.2.
Here’s my old flywheel.

IMG_8060.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8058.jpeg

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The actual roller bearing should have a national standard SAE bearing number laser engraved on it that should be easy to source from any bearing supplier. It obliviously can be removed from the flywheel carrier bushing it was pressed into, it may not be available thru ford itself though. The tech did not appear to have used a press to remove it but rather a hammer and poor fitting socket or metal bar.

Also, in the pics above of the backside of the flywheel the carrier bushing appears to also be removable from the flywheel since looking closely at the pics you posted of the clutch disc side of the flywheel it appears that there is a snap ring holding the carrier bushing in the flywheel that if removed would allow that carrier bushing with roller bearing to be pressed out from the disc side out the crank side of the flywheel.

Ford may just choose not to make those parts available separately for whatever reason, likely wanting more money by selling the complete flywheel as a complete assy. You made out by them replacing the flywheel for free.

Without it right in front of me I cannot say if I would choose to just replace the roller bearing or not, but I would ask for the old flywheel and roller bearing to investigate if you can source a replacement bearing to have for possible replacement roller bearing to have as spare flywheel for future use.

It's your parts so you have every right to have them returned to you.

BD

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
The actual roller bearing should have a national standard SAE bearing number laser engraved on it that should be easy to source from any bearing supplier. It obliviously can be removed from the flywheel carrier bushing it was pressed into, it may not be available thru ford itself though. The tech did not appear to have used a press to remove it but rather a hammer and poor fitting socket or metal bar.

Also, in the pics above of the backside of the flywheel the carrier bushing appears to also be removable from the flywheel since looking closely at the pics you posted of the clutch disc side of the flywheel it appears that there is a snap ring holding the carrier bushing in the flywheel that if removed would allow that carrier bushing with roller bearing to be pressed out from the disc side out the crank side of the flywheel.

Ford may just choose not to make those parts available separately for whatever reason, likely wanting more money by selling the complete flywheel as a complete assy. You made out by them replacing the flywheel for free.

Without it right in front of me I cannot say if I would choose to just replace the roller bearing or not, but I would ask for the old flywheel and roller bearing to investigate if you can source a replacement bearing to have for possible replacement roller bearing to have as spare flywheel for future use.

It's your parts so you have every right to have them returned to you.

BD
Hello; I like your take on these things. As with the bearing in a Ford F-150 rotor/hub assembly which is labeled as non-serviceable. I can see why the bearing should not be reused but the rotor/hub assembly might be fine to reuse. My brother was sure the rotors were warped and as i do not have an F-150 currently, I discarded the rotors. (gave them to an F-150 owner) I did not check to see if the bearings can be had separately but if they could a new bearing could be pressed in by the outer race.
Sponsored