Pilot bearing Removal 2019 Mt-82

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I just had my MT-82 replaced and ordered OEM clutch parts to be replaced while Ford dealership was in there. I didn’t order a flywheel but ordered a pilot bearing. Ford couldn’t get it out and tore up the bearing. They replaced the flywheel on their dime. They said their PDS or PFS computer system said it’s not a serviceable part. They just didn’t read that before they started.
Is this true? Has anyone replaced the pilot bearing on the stock flywheel?
It’s a dual disc clutch setup if that makes a difference. Probably does.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sounds like this worked out in your favor. I would never replace the clutch only. I would recommend changing the flywheel and slave cylinder as well, or at least have the flywheel machined.

When I replaced my clutch, the bearing was already installed. I’m not 100% certain of this, but I believe the bearing replacement pertains to single disc clutch cars.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm more interested in how you got 2 more gears. I bet you kill in Fast and Furious scene.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Don’t quite understand about the 2 more gears.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
People call the manual transmission with 6 gears an MT-6. In your title you have it as MT-8, instead of MT-82, the model of the transmission.

Sponsored

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I see. My bad. Thought I had written MT-82.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I see. My bad. Thought I had written MT-82.
Yeah, now worries. I just saw what he wrote and was curious and saw that you had asked. We ALL make mistakes.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; pardon my confusion. I have not pulled a transmission on the newer Mustangs so likely am not up to the way the clutch system works. The pilot bearing use to be set in the back of the crankshaft last few times I replaced a clutch.
One way i have removed them is to pack some grease into the hole where the transmission snout slides in. Then use a round bar that just fits and drive it into the grease. That pushes the bearing out or has for me.
A puller is made to do that job but i have not used one.

Could it be you are talking about the throw-out bearing?

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Yes, the pilot bearing is replaceable. M-7600-C is the part you want, or the OEM equivalent you already have. It's very easy to remove using a bearing puller on a slide hammer.

Make sure the new bearing doesn't have any burrs on the OD. Make sure the crank is clean and has no burrs on the ID. Freeze the bearing over night. Be ready to tap it into place with an appropriately sized socket and hammer.

You can rent these at various auto parts stores:
https://www.autozone.com/transmissi...ment/230517_0_0?searchText=pilot+bearing+tool

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...slide-hammer/2047_0_0?searchText=slide+hammer

You should definitely replace the slave cylinder while you've got it apart. This is also easy, it's held on with two bolts. Bench bleed the new one before installing by submerging the clutch line into a cup of fluid and compressing the bearing slowly a few times.

Last edited:

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
For anyone who needs to replace a pilot bearing. Packing grease or bread in the hole, then forcing it out by tapping in a shaft only works on solid pilot bearings. Newer ones are usually roller bearings. For those you need a j-hook and slide hammer. Trying the other method with a roller will only result in spraying crap all over your face.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Grease can work for pilot bearing removal, but if the bearing is really stubborn, you can use bar soap instead. Just cut off small chunks with a knife and stuff it in the opening prior to using the tool and hammer. The soap is more viscous than grease, which can help. It can be hard to get a really tight fit between the inside diameter of the pilot bearing and the outside diameter of the tool you are using to remove it.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the input. The bearing is in the flywheel. The ford dealership could not get it out. They used a puller and slide hammer. The shop mechanics told the transmission guy that it is not a replaceable part. Buy a new fly wheel. I bought correct part number from LMR. All parts are being replaced. Slave, pilot, clutch, pressure plate and now flywheel. I’ll try to get the mechanic to show me their internal parts and tech order system that says replace flywheel because pilot bearing is not serviceable. I don’t understand it but that’s what Ford says. Their service supervisor said put in a new flywheel on their dime. I would hope all of these levels of people wouldn’t give away a $700 part if the bearing would come out. I could be wrong.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That small piece with a finger pointing to it is what came out from the middle of the pilot bearing. The other pic is the flywheel with the remaining pilot bearing pressed into it

IMG_8038.jpeg

IMG_8037.jpeg

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
That small piece with a finger pointing to it is what came out from the middle of the pilot bearing. The other pic is the flywheel with the remaining pilot bearing pressed into it
Hello; That is a damaged roller bearing and can be seen it is located in the structure in the top picture. Again, my knowledge is dated as that does not look like a flywheel to me. I do not see the ring of teeth usually found on a flywheel for the starter to engage. Without being told i would have thought it was a picture of a pressure plate.

It’s a dual disc clutch setup if that makes a difference. Probably does.
Hello; I am going to make a guess or few at this point. I suspect the item pictured is part of the dual clutch assembly. A pressure plate. Two clutch disks ought to require two pressure plates with one of the pressure plates needing that sort of bearing to ride upon.
If so i can see why jerking that roller bearing was not to be done. Ford and perhaps others have gone to such compound parts. I helped my brother replace the front rotors on his F-150. After breaking some tools getting one of the spindle nuts off, I noted the bearings were part of the rotor assembly.
A few days later I decided to press the bearings out of the old rotors. Tore up the first I tried while tinkering with how to remove the bearing. There is a lip blocking the backside of the bearing so a normal way was not possible.
On the second rotor I pressed on the inner race and the whole bearing came out. I either looked this up or saw a note the bearing is not serviceable on the part. I guess this way of doing things makes a sort of expensive sense.

Anyway, I wound up with some different diameter circular parts that may some day be used with my shop press.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I agree the pic is misleading. That is the flywheel and the teeth are not visible. You can see the surface has some bluing from where the clutch has been riding on it.
Sponsored