Optimal Performance Gains for $

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
E85 tune would be the best hp/$ since it’s essentially just $500 if you do a straight E85 tune without anything fancy and you pick up 60hp or so.

following that would be the ESS mentioned above.
There is generally an inverse law of diminishing returns between how much you are willing to spend and hp/$
Basically this.

To OP:

I found very little value in N/A mods besides the Flex/E85 tune. But since that's not an option for you. A 93 tune does add some pluck for sure and I would recommend it.

Since your on a 22gt you can pull the carbon filter and air diffuser tube out of your Air box. Ford added some HP robbing things to appease the EPA overlords.

Or just get a 93 tune, with CAI. The CAI still isn't gonna add much. If you go that route, avoid the "no tune required" intakes. Tuners have screen results with Tune+JLT intakes.

Long tubes: if you like the sound do it. But don't expect much in the way of HP

Manifolds: I personally have not looked hard at this. But this too seems costly without much gain. It also seems to create a series of problems for some owners and tuners.

Rear end gears: ehhhh, I wouldn't bother with this (Personally)Gears are a bit like robbing Petter to pay Paul.

Cars today are far more advanced than years before. N/A modifications just don't have the impact they once did.

It was difficult to discipline myself, but I avoid most N/A mods and bought the ESS supercharger.

I get it, we all wanna tinker, and saying N/A mods are not really worth it to some degree is not what tinkerers wanna hear.

But reality is unless your modding for sound or handling. You very well could end spending cash decent cash and being disappointed in the end.

That being said some people place a high value on squeezing out every HP without going with a power adder and are happy to spend more in some cases to get less. And if that floats your boat go for it💪

I rambled. I'm sorry. I'm on a 24 shift at work, and my Ambulance television is broken 😭
Sponsored

88workcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT wt Performance pkg
On YouTube you will find many parts that are dyno tested and results shown, good and bad. Look up National Speed "Mustang" but they are plentiful and informative. And most will contradict what I am reading on this post. But IMO suspension should always be 1st.

For me, suspension and axles are 1st, then power. I will do the NA stuff then a ESS.

moby4dick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
With less than $3K to spend, I’d focus on suspension first. When you tune the car, I’d also tune for E85, even if you have to go and fill two 5 gallon containers from a station that may be a ways away from you, in order to facilitate tuning. At least youl’ll have that tune for future use and only have to pay once for it, along with the 93 tune, vs not doing it and deciding later that you want an E85 tune and having to pay again.
Great advice right there. E85 and a tune will get you real power gains if NA is the end all. Suspension if you want confidence in turning. I know wheel hop is a thing, but I’m not a drag racer….
Sponsored