Oil change/ticking

S550Echo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0
Hello! So I just did my oil change on my preowned 2017 Mustang GT, I put on a new filter, tightened to spec, drain plug to spec, everything. Filled it up with 8 quarts of oil, started the motor for 10 seconds then shut it off and checked my oil level. Seemed good! After a little bit of driving, I got back home and could have sworn I heard ticking coming from my motor. And I know this sound is new so Iā€™m worried, I checked everything for leaks when I did the oil change and an hour later after driving to the store and back, and nothing. Itā€™s the lightest little tick but itā€™s noticable since Iā€™ve never heard it before, what could it be?
(To answer prior questions, total miles rn is 34000, auto, Iā€™ve done a few mods and gotten a lund tune)
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Coyotes seem to tick more after oil changes. I cant tell you why but no one develops the BBQ tick before their first oil change. My BBQ tick is very minor compared to some gts but it only happens right after oil changes.

OP
OP

S550Echo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0
Coyotes seem to tick more after oil changes. I cant tell you why but no one develops the BBQ tick before their first oil change. My BBQ tick is very minor compared to some gts but it only happens right after oil changes.
See, I agree but there wasnā€™t any tick prior and this car has had prior oil changes done at shops, I think Iā€™m just over thinking it but im going to double check everything when I get home from work, this isnā€™t the cars first oil change, just MY first time doing THIS cars oil change thus far

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Dark Matter Gray
Iā€™ve had 7 of these cars, Gen 1,2, and 3 and they all have had the tick to some degree. Sometimes it started after the first oil change, sometimes a later one. But I ran my cars hard from day one and never had an issue.

Most people will add a bottle of ceratec and that seems to quiet it down.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
LOL Another one of this!!!! OP search "tick" or "BBQ Tick" and find millions of threads on this common subject. Its normal most do that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

S550Echo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0
LOL Another one of this!!!! OP search "tick" or "BBQ Tick" and find millions of threads on this common subject. Its normal most do that.
God send, thank you. This car has been a dream come true so my worry about it has been through the roof. Good gods appreciate it

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
God send, thank you. This car has been a dream come true so my worry about it has been through the roof. Good gods appreciate it
I remember when it first happened I was concerned too lol. Enjoy the beast, this is my 3rd Mustang love them specially the S550.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
See, I agree but there wasnā€™t any tick prior and this car has had prior oil changes done at shops, I think Iā€™m just over thinking it but im going to double check everything when I get home from work, this isnā€™t the cars first oil change, just MY first time doing THIS cars oil change thus far
My 19 didn't have the BBQ tick for over 20k miles either. And even then it's only happened on 6 occasions in total up to this point. (96k miles) But each of those 6 times were with in a week of oil changes. Chasing ticking on the coyote will make you go insane. It's a loud engine so try to ignore the noises and enjoy it!

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
My 19 didn't have the BBQ tick for over 20k miles either. And even then it's only happened on 6 occasions in total up to this point. (96k miles) But each of those 6 times were with in a week of oil changes. Chasing ticking on the coyote will make you go insane. It's a loud engine so try to ignore the noises and enjoy it!
This is right on. I got a minor tick on my ā€˜19 after my second oil change and it kind of faded away and I have not got it back since and Iā€™m at 70K.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Holyshit another "my 5.0 is ticking" thread.

Let's ask to post a video next. Maybe talk about oil weight... Eventually someone will recommend ceratec... we'll debate some more... it'll be just like the 1st time it's been posted... we'll all just laugh and laugh...

Sponsored

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Handling Package
Hello! So I just did my oil change on my preowned 2017 Mustang GT, I put on a new filter, tightened to spec, drain plug to spec, everything. Filled it up with 8 quarts of oil, started the motor for 10 seconds then shut it off and checked my oil level. Seemed good! After a little bit of driving, I got back home and could have sworn I heard ticking coming from my motor. And I know this sound is new so Iā€™m worried, I checked everything for leaks when I did the oil change and an hour later after driving to the store and back, and nothing. Itā€™s the lightest little tick but itā€™s noticable since Iā€™ve never heard it before, what could it be?
(To answer prior questions, total miles rn is 34000, auto, Iā€™ve done a few mods and gotten a lund tune)
I read on here somewhere that there is a bulletin form Ford that states that a tick is a normal operating characteristic. If you search around you will probably find it. Thats not to say that your tick is the same as what others, including Ford, are describing as "the BBQ/typewriter tick."

OP
OP

S550Echo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0
So update, I was leaking both out of my oil filter and drain plug when I got home, but such a minuscule amount so I tightened, cleaned, ran the car, waited, and it was nothing. So I appreciate everyone here!!

Mgt2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Does yours tick like this on the video? If it does, I got it fixed by using this filter at each oil change. No more problem.

IMG_1706.jpeg

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
GT takes 10 quarts of oil and you put in 8.
Sponsored