Sponsored

New 10R80: Random Engagement

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
Had a new 10R80 installed under warranty a couple weeks back.

Today, on first drive of the day 85F outside, parked nose first on a slope, I reversed from parking, then put it into D. Trans seemed to engage some and upon acceleration and initial 100RPM gain, the ECU pulled back throttle 100%. Shifting into R same thing happened. Cycled it a few times no go in D or R though seemed to initially engage all the time.

Shut the car off, opened then closed the door, restarted, everything was fine.

Even with new trans there is still excessive delay shifting into R and D after driving a bit.

They replaced the trans cooler twice. Once when they did the CDF partial rebuild and then when they did new trans. I had it on the lift for new LCA kit and confirmed they did do new trans.

Torque converter issue? On a mountain road trip now will take to dealer next week....
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hopefully they made sure the new 10R80 was filled properly…. and fluid level was checked when hot as well….

All you can do is take it back and demo the issues to the Service Writer or Tech. Take them on a drive and demo the issue in person, don’t just drop and leave the car.

OP
OP

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
I did record it immediately while I cycled the shifts so they can hear and see rpm, gear selection and time stamp.

Not sure if it will reproduce. Fluid level seems the fist cause, since it was parked on a slope.

The day after had the CDF rebuild I put it in D and a very loud clank occured sounded like to metal plates smashing against each other.

Thanks for your input(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I did record it immediately while I cycled the shifts so they can hear and see rpm, gear selection and time stamp.

Not sure if it will reproduce. Fluid level seems the fist cause, since it was parked on a slope.

The day after had the CDF rebuild I put it in D and a very loud clank occured sounded like to metal plates smashing against each other.

Thanks for your input(s)
Definitely should not be hearing any such noises like that from the 10R80.

If you having issues, def bring it back to the shop and tell them you need to take them for a ride to demo the issues.

Parked on a slope should not matter at all with regards to trans fluid level. The trans is either properly filled (or not) and leaving it on a slope if properly filled won’t cause the issues you’re referencing.

You say the trans is a replacement and was new. It shouldn’t have any issues - and the only other thing I can think of is either that trans also has a bad CDF issue per the TSB or it has a bad valve body in it that can’t regulate line pressures. Since the trans was replaced and should be covered under a warranty repair, I wouldn’t mess with it and try to get an appt. ASAP to see what they can find out.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR Supra Matte Storm Gray Metallic
I was going to say pretty much exactly what @Cobra Jet said. When I still had my Mach 1 I had lots of transmission issues. First time I brought it in I requested to have them verify the fluid level as I had read a ton of vehicles were coming underfilled. It was 1 qt low and after having it filled it seemed to run perfect again for awhile. I did have other issues with mine however even after doing so but it does sound like a low fluid issue to me although it's anyone's guess without it being looked at.

OP
OP

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
Took it to the shop today with trans a full op temp. They got it in immediately, fluid level ok they showed me the stick, no codes, no updates. Said they did everything.

I will ask for a valve body diagnosis.

Hasn't happened again.

Can I just buy my own valve body and get some benefit? Maybe a trans tune?
Sponsored