Sponsored

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer Review

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Meguiar’s were, and still are, slow to the “ceramic” market. In fact, the brand took until 2018/2019 to introduce Si02 infused “ceramic” products to the range in the form of Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray and liquid forms) and Hybrid Ceramic Detailer. More recently, Ultra Ceramic Coating joined the range, basically a Carpro Reload competitor. Earlier this year, Meguiar’s launched a true ceramic coating, however M888 is a pro coating that is virtually unknown.

But it’s the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer that I want to highlight. From the outset, despite what the name would imply, this is NOT a ceramic coating, it’s a quick detailer with Si02 added to deliver additional gloss, slickness and water beading properties.

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, 26 oz. (meguiarsdirect.com)
Hybrid Ceramic Detailer — Meguiar's Australia (meguiars.com.au)

IMG-2549.jpg

Meguiar’s market this product as having cleaning ability, saying that it can “remove light contaminants and dust to maintain that and just washed and appearance”. To me, that sounds like a recipe for micro marring. No, Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is best used as a drying aid or topper to maintain existing protection, be that a wax, sealant or ceramic coating. Having said that, HCD on its own can provide some decent short-term protection and water beading.

IMG-4395.jpg

There is no shortage of “ceramic” quick detailers on the market, but the user experience can vary widely between the brands and the individual product itself. For example, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer can be hit and miss for me, sometimes it goes on clean, other times it turns streaky and is a bugger to work with. Carpro EliXir is brilliant on Carpro ceramic coatings but can be a diva on other LSP’s.

What sets Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer apart from the competition is the extreme ease of use. Wet surface, dry surface, hot, humid, cold, apply it heavily, apply it sparingly …………………it doesn’t seem to matter with HCD, the end result is the same.

I typically use Hybrid Ceramic Detailer as a drying aid to top existing Gyeon coatings. To apply, I add a few sprays per panel and work it in with a medium TRC Gauntlet and a small TRC Platinum Pluffle. The initial wipes spread the product, the secondary towel clears up any that hasn’t flashed away. The finished result is a glossy and slick finish that is so stupidly easy to achieve.

IMG-2587.jpg

IMG-2588.jpg

IMG-2585.jpg

There are only two things I would mark HCD down for. While this subjective, I just wish it didn’t smell like a quick detailer from 1998. The second being the price. At full retail, a 769ml bottle of Hybrid Ceramic Detailer sells for between $46.99 to $51.99. A 1000ml bottle of Carpro EliXir is $39.95, 1000ml of Gyeon Quick Detailer (which has wax in it) costs $32.99. At $46.99, HCD is not excessively expensive, but the fact Meguiar’s is almost always on sale at least one of the big box retailers, I would say shop around. At the time of writing, Supercheap have it on sale for $38.99. I would dare say that if Meguiar's set the price at lower permanent price, they would probably sell a lot more of it.

(NOTE: The above prices are in AUD, the price comments don't apply to those in the USA as it's far cheaper and much more competitive than in Australia.)

IMG-0433.jpg

While it won’t outshine or out-gloss something like Bead Maker, nor will it deliver outstanding longevity like a spray sealant, but it’s far easier to work with and doesn’t need excessive towel work to deliver a clear finish. Overall, Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is a product that doesn’t seem to get much love, which is a same as it’s truly an excellent product.
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Meguiar’s were, and still are, slow to the “ceramic” market. In fact, the brand took until 2018/2019 to introduce Si02 infused “ceramic” products to the range in the form of Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray and liquid forms) and Hybrid Ceramic Detailer. More recently, Ultra Ceramic Coating joined the range, basically a Carpro Reload competitor. Earlier this year, Meguiar’s launched a true ceramic coating, however M888 is a pro coating that is virtually unknown.

But it’s the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer that I want to highlight. From the outset, despite what the name would imply, this is NOT a ceramic coating, it’s a quick detailer with Si02 added to deliver additional gloss, slickness and water beading properties.

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, 26 oz. (meguiarsdirect.com)
Hybrid Ceramic Detailer — Meguiar's Australia (meguiars.com.au)

IMG-2549.jpg

Meguiar’s market this product as having cleaning ability, saying that it can “remove light contaminants and dust to maintain that and just washed and appearance”. To me, that sounds like a recipe for micro marring. No, Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is best used as a drying aid or topper to maintain existing protection, be that a wax, sealant or ceramic coating. Having said that, HCD on its own can provide some decent short-term protection and water beading.

IMG-4395.jpg

There is no shortage of “ceramic” quick detailers on the market, but the user experience can vary widely between the brands and the individual product itself. For example, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer can be hit and miss for me, sometimes it goes on clean, other times it turns streaky and is a bugger to work with. Carpro EliXir is brilliant on Carpro ceramic coatings but can be a diva on other LSP’s.

What sets Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer apart from the competition is the extreme ease of use. Wet surface, dry surface, hot, humid, cold, apply it heavily, apply it sparingly …………………it doesn’t seem to matter with HCD, the end result is the same.

I typically use Hybrid Ceramic Detailer as a drying aid to top existing Gyeon coatings. To apply, I add a few sprays per panel and work it in with a medium TRC Gauntlet and a small TRC Platinum Pluffle. The initial wipes spread the product, the secondary towel clears up any that hasn’t flashed away. The finished result is a glossy and slick finish that is so stupidly easy to achieve.

IMG-2587.jpg

IMG-2588.jpg

IMG-2585.jpg

There are only two things I would mark HCD down for. While this subjective, I just wish it didn’t smell like a quick detailer from 1998. The second being the price. At full retail, a 769ml bottle of Hybrid Ceramic Detailer sells for between $46.99 to $51.99. A 1000ml bottle of Carpro EliXir is $39.95, 1000ml of Gyeon Quick Detailer (which has wax in it) costs $32.99. At $46.99, HCD is not excessively expensive, but the fact Meguiar’s is almost always on sale at least one of the big box retailers, I would say shop around. At the time of writing, Supercheap have it on sale for $38.99. I would dare say that if Meguiar's set the price at lower permanent price, they would probably sell a lot more of it.

(NOTE: The above prices are in AUD, the price comments don't apply to those in the USA as it's far cheaper and much more competitive than in Australia.)

IMG-0433.jpg

While it won’t outshine or out-gloss something like Bead Maker, nor will it deliver outstanding longevity like a spray sealant, but it’s far easier to work with and doesn’t need excessive towel work to deliver a clear finish. Overall, Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is a product that doesn’t seem to get much love, which is a same as it’s truly an excellent product.
I would say, its dirt cheap and at every big box retailer here :) . Although I have never tried it, I have a few friends that swear by it. Will have to grab me a bottle one day...

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I would say, its dirt cheap and at every big box retailer here :) . Although I have never tried it, I have a few friends that swear by it. Will have to grab me a bottle one day...
For me, it was an impulse buy while I was shopping for something else. So, I had no expectations other than curiosity. The very first moment I tried HCD, I knew it was a winner. If it smelt like Bead Maker or Paint Gloss, it would be perfect!

(NOTE - HCD is not unpleasant smelling, just dated and not a stellar scent like some competitors.)

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
For me, it was an impulse buy while I was shopping for something else.
Lol impulse buy, like you dont already have enough stuff in your cabinet? 🤣

thanks for the writeup, this product was suggested to me to use this as a drying agent in another thread…

i had used bead maker which i really like, i purchased dream maker but have not had a chance to try it yet…

Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like with this sitting next to the turtle wax hybrid on the shelf it's a tough buy.

I've almost entirely dropped Megs at this point and I used to use many of their products.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..basically a Carpro Reload competitor.
Roger that, D, I thought it was an Elixir competitor.

Carpro EliXir is brilliant on Carpro ceramic coatings but can be a diva on other LSP’s.
That is what I was hoping you would say and next to the quality of CP products in general, sticking with the same brand is nearly equally important to me. Thanks for that little diddy, amigo.

What sets Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer apart from the competition is the extreme ease of use.
The very first moment I tried HCD, I knew it was a winner. If it smelt like Bead Maker or Paint Gloss, it would be perfect!
The finished result is a glossy and slick finish that is so stupidly easy to achieve.
While it won’t outshine or out-gloss something like Bead Maker
Being the nutcase I am, maximum gloss is my motto (as you well know, <grin>) so I probably won't be giving it a looksee. I have been very happy with CQuartz, Reload, and Elixir.

Then I read these two quotes..

No, Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is best used as a drying aid or topper to maintain existing protection
I typically use Hybrid Ceramic Detailer as a drying aid to top existing Gyeon coatings.
Am I missing something, D? Those two quotes seem to be mutually exclusive.

The second being the price. At full retail, a 769ml bottle of Hybrid Ceramic Detailer sells for between $46.99 to $51.99.
Once again, the Down Under crowd gets the raw end of the stick and I am most sorry about that my friend as it sure makes detailing a lot more costly.

I would say, its dirt cheap and at every big box retailer here :)
Found the same thing when I searched for it, Alex, twenty bones at Kamazonski and O'Reilly's as well as other outfits.

Yet another excellent post D, thank you.

Turtle wax hybrid line usually beats everything else in tests online and is so easy to use, why even try anything else???
Not THAT is ALSO interesting, John and we sure don't read much about Turtle Wax products. I have never bothered to even peruse them thinking they were no longer in the game but, I am going to pick up a bottle to see what you meant by the glowing compliment.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I use a fair amount of this stuff because it is cheap, readily available, easy, and good enough.

Another commenter mentioned Turtle Wax, Turtle Wax products fall into the same category with same or better results.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I used the Megs for a short time, definitely not a bad product, especially for the price (at least here in the US). Agree with others that the Turtle Wax Hybrid (and Hybrid Solutions Pro) lines are better than the Megs. I used the TW Hybrid Solutions Pro graphene wax and Flex Wax on my 2016 Mustang. Glossy, slick and held up very well for being and liquid and spray wax. Also not expensive.

https://www.turtlewax.com/collections/hybrid-solutions-pro

Sponsored

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
IMO you cannot go wrong with Meguiar products. I use this on my daily driver SUV and am very happy with the results: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5QH6H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use their car was as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HR14SJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
While I'm sure they are ok products, just look on YouTube at the professional detailers test and turtle wax wipes the floor with that on longevity and chemical resistance, and also gloss depth and slickness.
Sponsored