Sponsored

Is this paint damage something I can fix myself?

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
That's a decent price. I paid $1400 when I did the same thing.
Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
My first post here and unfortunately not under the best of circumstances. I was being a goof and scratched the hell out of it backing into a single car garage at night with no proper lighting. I was quoted $850 to repair, which seems excessive so I'm wondering if I can just get the tools and touch up paint to fix this myself? If so what exactly will I need? Thanks.

$850 seems almost to cheap. I would maybe talk to a couple of other places and see what they quote you.
Depending on the damage, at the minimum you’re looking at a few hours of bodywork and paint material and paint labor, so this is why I think $850 might be to cheap and perhaps a red flag of the quality of work.
If that came from the Ford Dealer’s bodyshop, I would feel comfortable, but not anyone else. The dealerships Bodyshop should give you a warranty with the repair and many other good shops will do the same.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Unlucky this happened to you, but lucky your quote was only $850. I'd jump on that, and lesson learned.

Note that the "lesson" is actually not to get cute and back into your garage, or any other tight space for that matter. Go front in to the tight space, and then you will back out into the open space. Just not worth it to try and reverse (pun) that.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
NO. pay a pro to do it. Being a silver , metallic (magnetic ) paint very hard to get blended perfect With out it looking like shit.
You could always use the money toward investing in yourself. Do some studying, grab some gear, and mess it up a few times until you learn how to do it like a pro.
The silver metallic is tough to match yourself as @Timbuck said.
But you could always try it yourself first as @Paddles suggested.

I helped a friend fix his silver metallic mustang:

Here is the before and after:

001.jpg

BEFORE

002.jpg

AFTER

We used this to fill the imperfections:

003.jpg

Then we spent time mixing the paint to get an exact match using this:

004.jpg

We needed to spend extra time to get the right amount of metal flake, so we added some of this until we were satisfied:

005.jpg

REPAIR DISCLAIMER
Do not take the vehicle through a car wash after your repair is complete... we found that out the hard way.

OP
OP
Shad5oh

Shad5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
So the $850 quote I got was from a mobile repair shop. They said the job takes around 6 hours to complete and I'd be able to drive the car that day. They also said that they warranty their work against any defects in workmanship for as long as I own the vehicle.

I also reached out to a traditional collision repair shop and they quoted me $1000 for the repair with a 2 year warranty. This shop says it will take around 4 days to complete the repair.

Would I be better off avoiding the mobile guys and going to the collision repair shop? I'm not concerned about the savings between these 2 shops however 6 hours plus essentially a lifetime warranty sounds more appealing than 4 days without my car and a 2 year warranty.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
They both can do a good job , and I believe any warranty is next to pointless as both will make life difficult if you go back in 2 years time with a problem.

personally I’d lean towards the shop. Cleaner more controlled environment. Also the 4 days just gives them time To do a proper job. sanding time , filler time , high build primer time.
6hours…l.probably be done in 3hrs , on the side of the road is not the way to get a decent job.
yeah sure on a $5000 camery that you borrow of ya mum and hit the front bar on a post , The mobile guy will fix it before she gets home.

not the mustang You want to keep for a while.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
So the $850 quote I got was from a mobile repair shop. They said the job takes around 6 hours to complete and I'd be able to drive the car that day. They also said that they warranty their work against any defects in workmanship for as long as I own the vehicle.

I also reached out to a traditional collision repair shop and they quoted me $1000 for the repair with a 2 year warranty. This shop says it will take around 4 days to complete the repair.

Would I be better off avoiding the mobile guys and going to the collision repair shop? I'm not concerned about the savings between these 2 shops however 6 hours plus essentially a lifetime warranty sounds more appealing than 4 days without my car and a 2 year warranty.
Lifetime with warranty from mobile only means fro as long as hes in business. Can you borrow a car from family member. If not that'll be at least 200 bucks for a rental
If you have comprehensive insurance.you
should be able to rent a car For alot less

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

I think, were it me, I'd do some research on both companies and make my decision from there. I've never used a mobile body guy but my understanding is that they can be very good. The local, family owned body shop that I've used for the last 20+ years would probably have the car for several days to a week and likely charge $1000 to $1200. But I know the job would be exactly like it was before.
Still, to save time, money and rental hassle I'd be very, very tempted to give the mobile guy a try.

Sponsored

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
How did you not damage the wheel? Perhaps it’s an illusion but the wheel appears to be in a position to also have made contact with the door structure

OP
OP
Shad5oh

Shad5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
How did you not damage the wheel? Perhaps it’s an illusion but the wheel appears to be in a position to also have made contact with the door structure
This happened when I was on the stock 18" wheel set up. I literally just upgraded to this new wheel/tire setup...priorities I know lol

Now that I see how much better the car looks, that paint damage really sticks out and bothers me(that and the lack of lowering springs).

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
but, hey, could have been worse, you could have swapped wheels pre-scrape. thanks for your response.

Cornflake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I run a Collision Repair facility so I thought I might be able to throw my two cents in for ya. I agree having in professionally done is the way being that its not just paint damage but body work required.
The proper repair in this case:
Bumper- Off the car and fully disassembled, Plastic repair paint blended and full clear coat of the bumper (Clear coat never really should be blended or "burned" so a good shop would re clear the whole bumper.
The Quarter panel- Correct repair would be removing the quarter glass, rear tail lamp and at least dropping the rocker cover. The body work completed/metal work. Should be able to blend paint and not have to blend in the door with that much room but again clear from edge to edge which means the roof rail to the A-pillar/windshield pillar would be clear coated.

I would tell you that 850 is a gangster deal if they are doing it correctly however I have a strong feeling for 850 they are not repairing it the proper way.
Sponsored