Sponsored

Is Boostane really that bad for our cars?

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I have been using 1 bottle of boostane shot every fill up since last summer with 93 octane to make 96. I have not had any issues. Boostane markets their boostane shot product as something that is meant for the daily driver who doesn't have access to high octane fuel. The boostane shots are convenient because they come in prefilled bottles that fit nicely in the glove box. I usually wait until they have a sale for 20% off and grab a 10 pack for $80. It basically comes out to 50 cents per gallon to make 93 octane 96 octane. Car using 96 octane and Rob Shoemaker PBD tune made 819 whp on gen 2 whipple with 3.5 pulley and 22 degrees of timing. Been 9.99 and 138 mph at 4100 lbs.
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I have been using 1 bottle of boostane shot every fill up since last summer with 93 octane to make 96. I have not had any issues. Boostane markets their boostane shot product as something that is meant for the daily driver who doesn't have access to high octane fuel. The boostane shots are convenient because they come in prefilled bottles that fit nicely in the glove box. I usually wait until they have a sale for 20% off and grab a 10 pack for $80. It basically comes out to 50 cents per gallon to make 93 octane 96 octane. Car using 96 octane and Rob Shoemaker PBD tune made 819 whp on gen 2 whipple with 3.5 pulley and 22 degrees of timing. Been 9.99 and 138 mph at 4100 lbs.
You really need to buy cans in the 8 pk. Your cost for the shots is $2.00 per oz, my cost for the 8pk at Amazon is $1.05 per oz. You're paying almost double.

Currently,I have a 50 caliber ammo can, in the trunk, that I use to store a graduated beaker, funnel, rags and a few cans of Boostane Premium. I used to use a 1 cup, measuring cup, but switched to a beaker, because it pours easier. I put 2 inch wide hook side velcro on the bottom of the can, to keep it in place in the trunk, with great results.

Your money, your choice.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
You really need to buy cans in the 8 pk. Your cost for the shots is $2.00 per oz, my cost for the 8pk at Amazon is $1.05 per oz. You're paying almost double.

Currently,I have a 50 caliber ammo can, in the trunk, that I use to store a graduated beaker, funnel, rags and a few cans of Boostane Premium. I used to use a 1 cup, measuring cup, but switched to a beaker, because it pours easier. I put 2 inch wide hook side velcro on the bottom of the can, to keep it in place in the trunk, with great results.

Your money, your choice.
The cans would be more economical, but the shots are convenient for me. I went from paying $3.25 /gallon at Sunoco to @2.60 a gallon now that we have a Sam's club membership, so I've actually been saving some money from what I was in the past.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Livernois is a trash company that shouldn't be trusted with anything.
From everything I read, I came to this conclusion in the past. I wouldn't trust them with anything of mine.

Sponsored

Rooster66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
MMTs will definitely harm the emissions system if you even have one. 2016 GT with 93 oct. LIvernois Tune, high flow cats. MMTs are not good for your Uncle Sam twisted refined exhaust and and will have you tossing evap purge valve codes and misfire codes in the long run. It will eventually destroy the purge valve sooner them you think....if used regularly about every 3000 miles. If you want a good high octane rated fuel call VP Racing Fuels and talk to a tech, tell them exactly what you have and they will honestly set you up with a perfect octane. Most likely if you have an emissions system they will steer you away all together. My uncle works for VP in the research and development dept......That being said I only use race fuel in my 2 stroke motocross bikes at his direction. I even stopped using Klotz bean oil because that will carbon up even the highest revving engines. A good pump gas is all you need with the correct rated octane. Remember this is 2023 not 1966.....I can say this is from personal experience of 50 years

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
For what it's worth, the 96 octane combo of pump 93 and boostane ended up in failure. At almost 2 years of running that combo, car dropped about 60 rwhp on same dyno, tune, and pulley combo. Ended up having ringland failure on multiple pistons from undetected detonation ( tuner had knock sensors desensitized to the point where they couldn't save motor). I had Holbrook Racing Engines rebuild/upgrade my aluminator and cut ties with tuner.

Fortunately, several new sheetz locations opened up near me with e85 that has been testing around 70 in winter and 83 in spring/summer.

I now run a conservative Lund based tune (soon to be canbus flex through PCMTec) that makes 630 whp on 93 octane and 3.75 pulley with max 17.5-18 timing with 7500rpm rev limit and e85 3.3 pulley 22 timing that makes 750 whp with 8,000 rpm rev limit (starts pulling spark at 7,800).

I'd caution against anyone relying on octane booster to achieve timing/power goals as you never truly know what thr base fuel coming out of thr pump is. For example, what may be labeled 93 may have been mistakenly filled with 87.

Either go with ethanol or a dedicated race fuel such as MS109 or Sunoco 260 GT Plus.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium 10 speed, rapid red, pp1,
For what it's worth, the 96 octane combo of pump 93 and boostane ended up in failure. At almost 2 years of running that combo, car dropped about 60 rwhp on same dyno, tune, and pulley combo. Ended up having ringland failure on multiple pistons from undetected detonation ( tuner had knock sensors desensitized to the point where they couldn't save motor). I had Holbrook Racing Engines rebuild/upgrade my aluminator and cut ties with tuner.

Fortunately, several new sheetz locations opened up near me with e85 that has been testing around 70 in winter and 83 in spring/summer.

I now run a conservative Lund based tune (soon to be canbus flex through PCMTec) that makes 630 whp on 93 octane and 3.75 pulley with max 17.5-18 timing with 7500rpm rev limit and e85 3.3 pulley 22 timing that makes 750 whp with 8,000 rpm rev limit (starts pulling spark at 7,800).

I'd caution against anyone relying on octane booster to achieve timing/power goals as you never truly know what thr base fuel coming out of thr pump is. For example, what may be labeled 93 may have been mistakenly filled with 87.

Either go with ethanol or a dedicated race fuel such as MS109 or Sunoco 260 GT Plus.
Stuck with Wyoming 91 and no realistic access to E85 or race gas. either boostane or nothing for me haha :(

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
If stuck with 91, just run a conservative daily tune and have a separate tune for track days where you can order 5 gallon pales of race gas such as Sunoco 260 GT or VP MS109. Those fuels have a similar stoich as pump gas and don't require as much fueling upgrades as does ethanol since you don't need to push 30% more fuel.

FWIW, I have more fun on the street with 600 hp than 800 hp as I can actually put the power down without traction control engaing.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
If stuck with 91, just run a conservative daily tune and have a separate tune for track days where you can order 5 gallon pales of race gas such as Sunoco 260 GT or VP MS109. Those fuels have a similar stoich as pump gas and don't require as much fueling upgrades as does ethanol since you don't need to push 30% more fuel.

FWIW, I have more fun on the street with 600 hp than 800 hp as I can actually put the power down without traction control engaing.
I do not really have a track close to me. i have mountains, canyons, and back roads a plenty, though!

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I think people over exaggerate the negative effects of mmt. Yes it turns everything orange but the only thing it aged prematurely on my set up were the spark plugs.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
I think people over exaggerate the negative effects of mmt. Yes it turns everything orange but the only thing it aged prematurely on my set up were the spark plugs.
And I'd change plugs every year anyway. Not driving the car while it's 20 below lmao

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
I know my owners manual clearly states not to use any fuel additives that contain MMT, I have used some Techron a few times in mine with no issues but do not use it regularly for what that's worth. MMT will degrade the cats over time just not sure how much time exactly.

BD

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
I know my owners manual clearly states not to use any fuel additives that contain MMT, I have used some Techron a few times in mine with no issues but do not use it regularly for what that's worth. MMT will degrade the cats over time just not sure how much time exactly.

BD
some have cats, some do not.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just don't like the idea of manganese deposits ending up everywhere. It's probably abrasive to things like valve seats and the high pressure fuel system. I wonder how it affects the oil longevity as well.

With that said I generally agree, it works well.
Sponsored