Sponsored

Home invasion?

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Sup guys,

Maybe it is a Canadian thing, but I have had 2 home invasions happen while I was home. Both times I had no cars in the driveway, I am assuming that is why I was targeted. Thought no one was home.

Anyway, once I was sleeping and came downstairs. He starred at me, I starred at him. He bolted.

The second time I was listening to a Pearl Jam record (literally a record) in my basement, someone kicked in the back door. I just yelled up the stairs and they took off.

I don't own any guns, I am not affraid of people with them either. I would never shoot someone for stealing from me. I couldn't live with myself if I took a life, even if it meant giving up my own. My first thought isn't "That so and so need to die" my initial one was always "What happened to that poor person to feel the need to do this". I hope this makes sense.

Skape
You have been both very lucky and very unfortunate. Unfortunate that your home has been broken into twice and lucky that you were unharmed in both events.
I can understand your feelings of not harming anyone and I'd like to think that during a home invasion no one is thinking "that so and so needs to die". What you experienced was terrifying I'm sure but what if when you and the invader were staring at each other instead of bolting he came at you. This is where it matters. I've always been telling everyone that it's called self defense, not stuff defense. If someone is breaking into my car I feel I do not have enough reason to justify harming them. I'm calling the cops, giving good descriptions and letting them do their job. If someone breaks into my home I have no idea what their intentions are and I need to be prepared to defend myself and my family if the circumstances escalate to that.
Some might argue that I might get myself killed for resisting but I argue that self defense is a human right and I do not have to live as a sheep in constant fear of wolves. My life and my family are worth my protection.
Sponsored

wjlowe111

Knowledge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white
Alot of new cars flow through my driveway, from mine to my girlfriend.
I don't live in a rough part of So Cal, but lately i've really had worries about home invasion. Maybe just paranoia because my new cars, but I think not.

Just two days ago, a man in a camry stopped in front of my house and snapped a couple pics. I tried confronting but he quickly fled. Also if it was just checking out the cars, wouldn't you think he would of just stopped and asked if he liked it that much?

I debated on calling the local PD but whats the most they can do? nothing really.

Any advice?
If he fled; hes up to something. Unlikely he just liked a picture of your car..

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
...I've always been telling everyone that it's called self defense, not stuff defense. If someone is breaking into my car I feel I do not have enough reason to justify harming them. I'm calling the cops, giving good descriptions and letting them do their job. If someone breaks into my home I have no idea what their intentions are and I need to be prepared to defend myself and my family if the circumstances escalate to that.
Some might argue that I might get myself killed for resisting but I argue that self defense is a human right and I do not have to live as a sheep in constant fear of wolves. My life and my family are worth my protection.
Very few home invaders go into a home planning on killing someone. The plan is to take things that can be sold/traded for something else. It's basically a means to an end. Best case scenario for the thief is a home w/ no one inside. Most thieves, not all, will bolt if they discover someone is home. They don't want to take the chance of getting hurt/caught. Thieves with weapons are more likely to stay. But again, their intent is to steal not kill, the weapon is simply self defense. They'll use it as a threat to keep the occupants at bay until they are able to retreat, with or without the home owner’s valuables. If the home owner introduces a weapon, now the thief is in fear for his life and the situation has escalated beyond getting away with stuff. Simply by introducing a gun, which seems like a common sense way of protecting loved ones, the home owner has turned a situation about potentially losing/taking stuff into a situation about potentially losing/taking lives. When both parties have weapons, rational thinking is replaced by instinct and reaction. Will the thief fight or flee? If his instinct is to flee, everyone is lucky and the home owner believes his action saved the day. If the thief’s instinct is to fight, who knows what will happen. Perhaps the occupant(s) get shot, perhaps the thief gets shot, perhaps no one gets shot. But what was once simply about stuff, quickly becomes about self. And no one wants to go through the psychology that is attached to an unfortunate/unnecessary loss of life. Borrowing from sports: the best offense is a good defense. Defend your home so that home invaders are prevented from ever entering.

SkapeGote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1997 f150
Sup,
For me it would only come to blows if my family was home. If not, personally, I would rather lose my own life than take another. I just couldn't do it to save my own skin. I deal with people that have PTSD, I would rather die then suffer that.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Very few home invaders go into a home planning on killing someone. The plan is to take things that can be sold/traded for something else. It's basically a means to an end. Best case scenario for the thief is a home w/ no one inside. Most thieves, not all, will bolt if they discover someone is home. They don't want to take the chance of getting hurt/caught. Thieves with weapons are more likely to stay. But again, their intent is to steal not kill, the weapon is simply self defense. They'll use it as a threat to keep the occupants at bay until they are able to retreat, with or without the home owner’s valuables. If the home owner introduces a weapon, now the thief is in fear for his life and the situation has escalated beyond getting away with stuff. Simply by introducing a gun, which seems like a common sense way of protecting loved ones, the home owner has turned a situation about potentially losing/taking stuff into a situation about potentially losing/taking lives. When both parties have weapons, rational thinking is replaced by instinct and reaction. Will the thief fight or flee? If his instinct is to flee, everyone is lucky and the home owner believes his action saved the day. If the thief’s instinct is to fight, who knows what will happen. Perhaps the occupant(s) get shot, perhaps the thief gets shot, perhaps no one gets shot. But what was once simply about stuff, quickly becomes about self. And no one wants to go through the psychology that is attached to an unfortunate/unnecessary loss of life. Borrowing from sports: the best offense is a good defense. Defend your home so that home invaders are prevented from ever entering.
Sorry but your entire statement is nothing more than supposition. You truly have know idea what an intruder's intentions are. Thinking otherwise is nothing more than projection and wishful thinking. But the great thing about freedom is that you can defend your home your way and I'll defend my home and family the way I see best.

Sponsored

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Sup guys,

Maybe it is a Canadian thing, but I have had 2 home invasions happen while I was home. Both times I had no cars in the driveway, I am assuming that is why I was targeted. Thought no one was home.

Anyway, once I was sleeping and came downstairs. He starred at me, I starred at him. He bolted.

The second time I was listening to a Pearl Jam record (literally a record) in my basement, someone kicked in the back door. I just yelled up the stairs and they took off.

I don't own any guns, I am not affraid of people with them either. I would never shoot someone for stealing from me. I couldn't live with myself if I took a life, even if it meant giving up my own. My first thought isn't "That so and so need to die" my initial one was always "What happened to that poor person to feel the need to do this". I hope this makes sense.

Skape

You'd rather die than defend yourself? Your first thought when someone enters your home to cause you harm is what happened to this poor person to be in this situation?"

Wow.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Sorry but your entire statement is nothing more than supposition. You truly have know idea what an intruder's intentions are. Thinking otherwise is nothing more than projection and wishful thinking. But the great thing about freedom is that you can defend your home your way and I'll defend my home and family the way I see best.
Indeed, that's why we have the 2nd Amendment. As for knowing what's going on in an intruder's mind, hell, I don't even know what's going on in my wife's mind. But if I choose to escalate the situation, chances are someone's getting hurt. So what I'm saying (my opinion) is that's it's best not to be in that situation to begin with. Thus the advice to prevent entry in the first place.

As for supposition, which are ideas or theories that we believe to be true even though we can't prove them as fact, the same goes for your stance. Believing the best way to protect your family is by brandishing a gun on an intruder, is simply wishful thinking. Not that there's anything wrong with thinking that way, many people do, just as many think this would intensify the possibility for harm.

Don't get me wrong, my intention here is not to convince you that the only way to defend your family is w/o a weapon. I'm simply saying that good intentions don't always produce good results. Also, there are consequences to the actions we take, regardless of our intentions. And if someone is fearful that they will be invaded, a good course of action would be to try and prevent it from happening.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
If you can, install a day/night video cam with motion activation in an inconspicuous place. Also, if you have a garage or gate to store your cars do that. File a complaint with your local PD office and see if they will increase patrols in your neighborhood...make sure you have descriptions and plate numbers of cars you see often that don't belong.

Lastly, exercise your 2nd amendment rights and purchase a short barreled shotgun and load it with saltpeter or small diameter buckshot. Won't kill but it will sting like a sonufabitch (unless you aim for the head)
Very good advice all around... I recommend foscam for cameras!
Sponsored