Sponsored

help w/trailering options

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If you buy a car away, just fly in and drive it back. U-haul trailers work but need some care while loading / unloading and tie down situation is less than ideal. They also have surge brake.

As towing goes, tow rating for half ton trucks is almost entirely irrelevant as they run out of payload before they even get close to towing limit.

And lastly - OP - if you never towed any trailer (and backed it up), driving the car back is much safer and less frustrating option.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I say Road Atlanta is a great track. It doesn't matter how you got there. You must know the race line. It forgives most mistakes except T-12. You miss it and your car will hit the tire wall and bounce out into race traffic. Not good.

1995CobraZip13.png

1995CobraZIPP.jpg

65redAug09.jpg
Do you still have the R?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
The M1 HP fits the Uhaul trailer. Will need some race ramps or a 2x12, but it will go on. And then park the front wheels on top of the 2x12's as well to clear the front lip of the trailer.
Curious as to the ideal length for those boards. Longer gives a better angle, but wouldn't you need 4 to park the front wheels onto a shorter pair?

In summary seems like OP needs to compare cost of DIY trailer, trailer for hire, and plane ticket. Plus add a hassle fudge factor to each option.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Curious as to the ideal length for those boards. Longer gives a better angle, but wouldn't you need 4 to park the front wheels onto a shorter pair?

In summary seems like OP needs to compare cost of DIY trailer, trailer for hire, and plane ticket. Plus add a hassle fudge factor to each option.
It's a combination. I set a 5' board half way up the ramp down to the ground. Then another 2' in front of that board on the ground. Then put a 2x4 under the mid point of the 5' board to keep it from sagging too much. And that was before my splitter. With my splitter now I don't think I could get onto a uhaul.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
It's a combination. I set a 5' board half way up the ramp down to the ground. Then another 2' in front of that board on the ground. Then put a 2x4 under the mid point of the 5' board to keep it from sagging too much. And that was before my splitter. With my splitter now I don't think I could get onto a uhaul.
need 15' ramps lol. Have you seen AJs trailer loading video? Granted, his trailer sits lower

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I think issue with U-haul trailers and low cars is that there is an edge that acts as a forward restraint for front wheels (which they need to be fairly foolproof for general population who is not great at thinking (in general but also about tying the car down properly). It's a great solution for someone moving Corolla across the country but creates a challenge when you need to transport anything race car-ish.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
need 15' ramps lol. Have you seen AJs trailer loading video? Granted, his trailer sits lower
I haven't. I have a trailer that tilts down to about 8" off the ground, and effectively is a 8' ramp. And I still have to add about 4'. 15' isn't too far off LOL

I do have the same spring spacers AJ made, and while they get the front up about a inch, it's such a pain to throw in that I just throw painters tape on the bottom of the splitter and winch up.
Sponsored