Get Rid of That HP Robbing Oil Boys!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; decided to watch another episode of ENGINE MASTERS season 8 episode 13 The weight Of Oil. Wish I could summarize the episode the episode in a useful way, but fear the results are too complicated and no clear answers.
Best result was that the 20W-50 made more HP that the 5W-20 as tested. This was attributed to a guess of better ring seal in a somewhat tired big block engine. So not exactly a conclusion to hang a hat on.

The 50 weight did hold more oil pressure at around 212 to 225 degrees F which is sort of an expected thing. Comment was the 50 weight remained at 50 weight when hot. My take is a 20W-50 is not necessarily a good choice for a Coyote. I would not run such. Not sure about the advantage of 0W-20 in terms of low friction and cam phasers, but 5W-30 sounds better to me.

For a daily driver or even a garage queen only driven on nice days I would be some concerned about the 20W part of the 20W-50 oil at startup on cool or cold days for most any engine.

Was some talk about NMRA racing which is described as having a Coyote stock engine drag races. That some were running 0 weight (zero weight) oil and losing ring seal. That they put in additives but could have just run thicker oil. Some discussion about ring seal technology that likely will not apply to a common street engine.

A question came to mind for which I make a wild guess of an answer. Several mentions of ford going to 5W-30 from a thinner oil range. I do recall some oil usage issues in the F-150's and maybe also Mustangs. Maybe they found better ring seal????
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
My take is a 20W-50 is not necessarily a good choice for a Coyote.
No but Ford recommends 5w-50 for track use.