Formula 1 talk.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Classy guys, sportsmanship and things such as clean racing do not much apply to F1 racing anymore. Guess there is too much money on the line. Then there is the desire to win built into the drivers.
The talking heads made much of blocking tactics during the race when the racing got close. Guess i watched too much NASCAR over the decades where "rubbing is racing" was the mantra. My bet is the "stewards" will puke all over the most enjoyable racing we have seen in a long time. Cars actually fighting for first place. That they took each other out seems to me part of good racing. My guess is a microscope will be taken to the last incident and the future such racing will be further regulated. Already the "stewards" have too much to do with race outcomes.

But even if the stewards cast a shadow over close racing the fact remains, we have two teams which can compete for the first place. While the RB pitstop cut into Max's lead he still had a lead on the track. The McLaren ran him down on the track. Good stuff.

False hope to expect Max will not turn into a Lewis type clone when he has to actually race for a place.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
sportsmanship and things such as clean racing do not much apply to F1 racing anymore.

False hope to expect Max will not turn into a Lewis type clone when he has to actually race for a place.
You can say that for even grassroots motorsports where theres nothing on the line.

I feel like Max reverted to his earlier form in Austria this weekend.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My bet is the "stewards" will puke all over the most enjoyable racing we have seen in a long time. Cars actually fighting for first place. That they took each other out seems to me part of good racing.

I think a huge part of it is the budget. Not saying NASCAR is "cheap" but compared to F1 it's a drop in the bucket. at 15 million or so on average for 34 teams that's 510 million dollars. Thats the yearly budget each of the big 3 a few years ago when dropping 450-550 million a year was normal. Perez one accident alone is a 5th of a NASCAR teams whole yearly budget. And now that there is a cost cap its even worse when they have big accidents. you can't really "rub" in open wheel. Perez "rubbed" Piastri and cost him a hole in his side pod this past weekend. Remember wings cost 150k+ side pods 50-60k+ they can be repaired cheaper but when something stupid happens it can easily cost as much as a new NASCAR Cup chassis in one incident at 110k average cost.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I think a huge part of it is the budget. Not saying NASCAR is "cheap" but compared to F1 it's a drop in the bucket. at 15 million or so on average for 34 teams that's 510 million dollars. Thats the yearly budget each of the big 3 a few years ago when dropping 450-550 million a year was normal. Perez one accident alone is a 5th of a NASCAR teams whole yearly budget. And now that there is a cost cap its even worse when they have big accidents. you can't really "rub" in open wheel. Perez "rubbed" Piastri and cost him a hole in his side pod this past weekend. Remember wings cost 150k+ side pods 50-60k+ they can be repaired cheaper but when something stupid happens it can easily cost as much as a new NASCAR Cup chassis in one incident at 110k average cost.
Hello; Fair enough point regarding the cost. if what you say is the basis of F1 stewards' decisions then so be it. My contention is, in part, that too many rules spoil the racing. I get there have to be rules. Even in NASCAR there are limits to the rubbing.
Let me try again. I enjoyed watching the RB & McLaren racing hard corner after corner. If one of the drivers tried to wreck the other, it was a dumb thing to do as was seen by the results. Both cars damaged. They were going for the lead of a race and one or both screwed up. That such was likely to happen was part of what was so much fun to watch. Equally, if they had challenged each corner over and over until one got ahead without wrecking such would have a great thing to see. Actually, the greater thing to see.

I fear too many times drivers will be called into the principal's office for a figurative hiding. I sometimes watch vintage racing where they play race old cars. Nobody tries risky maneuvers. Well, most don't. There have been irreplaceable old cars wrecked a time or few. But while I get your point, I do sort of hope it is not the real answer. My take is in every form of racing from the cheapest to F1 you only race what you can afford to lose. I see threads & posts about folks taking their Mustangs to a track day. I hope they take into account what such might cost.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hello; Fair enough point regarding the cost. if what you say is the basis of F1 stewards' decisions then so be it. My contention is, in part, that too many rules spoil the racing. I get there have to be rules. Even in NASCAR there are limits to the rubbing.
Let me try again. I enjoyed watching the RB & McLaren racing hard corner after corner. If one of the drivers tried to wreck the other, it was a dumb thing to do as was seen by the results. Both cars damaged. They were going for the lead of a race and one or both screwed up. That such was likely to happen was part of what was so much fun to watch. Equally, if they had challenged each corner over and over until one got ahead without wrecking such would have a great thing to see. Actually, the greater thing to see.

I fear too many times drivers will be called into the principal's office for a figurative hiding. I sometimes watch vintage racing where they play race old cars. Nobody tries risky maneuvers. Well, most don't. There have been irreplaceable old cars wrecked a time or few. But while I get your point, I do sort of hope it is not the real answer. My take is in every form of racing from the cheapest to F1 you only race what you can afford to lose. I see threads & posts about folks taking their Mustangs to a track day. I hope they take into account what such might cost.
I never took the Mustang to a track day. Just never got around to it. But my Supra and FRs and Focus ST I did and learned a lesson a very very long time ago when I went to Ty Howard CRMA race school for motorcycles. Never go out on a track with something you can’t accept that it may be destroyed in the 1st corner. Of course sport bikes it’s much easier to happen then a car. But the point is if you can’t accept losing everything then it may not be something you should attempt to do since it could happen.

I never really could do outstanding wheelies, because I’d hate myself for looping one of my bikes trying it. Where as on a track I could accept binning it turn 1 lap 1.

I get what you are saying, I agree (crazy huh lol) i just think that’s why they have the rules they do. True or not I don’t know, it’s what I was told a long long time ago when watching my first seasons of F1 wondering why they have the rules they do after watching NASCAR in the late 80’s and 90’s

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
after watching NASCAR in the late 80’s and 90’s
Hello; Went to my first NASCAR race somewhere around 1959-1960 at Bristol. A friend's grandfather took us as we were too young to drive. Best I can recall the tickets were $6. The races on TV were not a regular thing for years to come and I did not get to Bristol often. Other than being in the same place the track is completely different now.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Aston Martin hiring Cowell.

Hope AM has a spare $100,000,000.

Edit: was thinking it was Cowell who earned McLaren the 100 million dollar fine in 2007 or 8. But was Coughlan, not Cowell

Last edited:

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Aston Martin hiring Cowell.

Hope AM has a spare $100,000,000.
They do.

They have a CRAZY marketing campaign rolling all around london this week. Super sized helmets on busses, AM SUV's hauling AM F1 cars to events, etc. Lawrence is sending a clear message for this race.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Very cool. But the few items I’d be interested in are way out of my price range.
I know right?

I haven't studied it for memorabilia items, but I've researched the car auctions before, the ones at the upper end $$$ of the spectrum. A day or two before, the cars can be seen or reviewed by anyone buying a ticket. It's generally an open house. Anyone interested and coordinating their travels might enjoy doing that.

Being at Silverstone, the motorway will be a parking lot. Time to call in the chopper 🚁. :giggle:
Sponsored