CyberTruck

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
And "the money they want" continues to drop. You can get a brand new Model 3 for $35k.
That figures come from the fact that are heavily subsidized and the cost difference come from all of our tax dollars.
So no, these things are not cheap, and this illusion that money is for free must find an end (for a whole lot of reasons behind this that I don't want to go into).
Sponsored

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have 0 interest in ANY ev! The main thing that really stands out about Tesla's is the fit and finish is one of the worst on the market at any price. But, for the money they want they are atrocious!
You nailed it. The fit and finish on Teslaā€™s is absolutely horrendous. My neighbor down the street has 2 and heā€™s always trying to show them off to me (almost like heā€™s trying to compare them to my Mustang). So, like the friendly neighbor I am, I took the time to look at his Model S. For a car that price, I was expecting something closer to BMW or Mercedes quality. Anything but that, gaps are horrible, paint drips on the edge of the wheel wells, etc. Didnā€™t have the heart to tell him that the fit and finish on my Ford is way better (and thatā€™s a low bar LOL).

I donā€™t have any interest in owning an EV at this time, however, I will say that the legacy companies are coming up with much better designs than the boring Teslaā€™s that all look the same (save for the CyberDumpster). There are a few from the legacy manufacturers I would consider if I was forced to buy one. Would never buy a Tesla though

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
Some pretty big opinions in here - and honestly the looks are more than just subjective, I can't argue that

The only thing I would add is - everyone needs to drive one. Think you don't? You do!
It is super smooth, quiet and has power everywhere. The Cyberbeast is just that, an absolute beast - but even a dual motor is more than quick enough. You can't even hear the 35's at highway speeds and the turning radius is tighter than you would ever imagine with the rear wheel steering.
Steer by wire is amazing
48V architecture is going to be the industry standard
Air suspension can add 6" of lift in extraction mode

It's an oddly styled trojan horse of tech that will change the standard

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Stuck throttles is the worst thing ever though. What if that guy had been driving in traffic on the interstate at 70-80 MPH when the throttle became stuck? Thatā€˜s what you would call a Sticky Icky situation. To make matters worse, the owner of the CT said Tesla told him to contact his insurance company for assistance (insert the biggest pair of eyeballs you can find right here)!

Look at this scenario.

Of course when Kia was contacted their spokesperson had this to say: ā€œOur technicians have been unable to duplicate the issue and this appears to be an isolated incident.ā€

Standard verbiage one uses to sidestep any culpability.

Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My buddies Model 3 (three years old) has started to fall apart pretty good
My buddies 2023 Mustang has been in the dealer service dept more than on the road.

See how easy that is?

Again... Im far from an EV fan boy.. I drive a 1000hp Mustang. But they do have their place IMO.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My buddies 2023 Mustang has been in the dealer service dept more than on the road.

See how easy that is?

Again... Im far from an EV fan boy.. I drive a 1000hp Mustang. But they do have their place IMO.
Their quality just isn't very good. I'd take a Plaid in 2 seconds, that performance is unmatchable. But Tesla isn't that great at making a solid vehicle.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Some pretty big opinions in here - and honestly the looks are more than just subjective, I can't argue that

The only thing I would add is - everyone needs to drive one. Think you don't? You do!
It is super smooth, quiet and has power everywhere. The Cyberbeast is just that, an absolute beast - but even a dual motor is more than quick enough. You can't even hear the 35's at highway speeds and the turning radius is tighter than you would ever imagine with the rear wheel steering.
Steer by wire is amazing

Teslas in general are fine cars as commuters. The Cybertruck just looks like complete ass on the outside.

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
Ill have to disagree on the fit/finish vs other automakers. For what is effectively a brand new car company, im surprised at how well they put a car together.

And "the money they want" continues to drop. You can get a brand new Model 3 for $35k.

For a pure work commuter (if your employer has free charging) they are pretty damn hard to beat.

Cyber truck? different story. Total trash lol. Hard pass for me.
There are Tesla's everywhere around here. The panel gaps and alignment are horrible(even compared to mustangs low standard). I have yet to see a Tesla with all of the body panels even close to right. The model X seems to be the worst as I have yet to see one where the rear roof panels are aligned.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I still can't believe Tesla produced a truck that 10 year old kids would draw.

I think the CT is a game changer and tech wonder, but so much seems wasted on the gimmicks with the all raw stainless body/bullet proof/giant windshield and wiper, etc. etc.. I do look forward to the tech and innovations making into future models.

As my stainless grill and kitchen appliances drive me nuts with smudges, etc., I could never own one of those. I'd be cleaning it every day. I have seen several that were wrapped and looked fantastic. My buddy has one and says it drives fantastic. It is a suburban mall crawler and replaced his Tahoe SUV. He loves it, and has a home charger, but has taken a couple trips and said the charging habits takes some getting used to, but not a game changer.

I also for the life of me can't understand why they didn't develop the Model 3 platform and do a Maverick competitor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Steer by wire is amazing

I can appreciate the perspective but if I canā€™t stand to look at it, no way in hell am I going to drive it. If someone is buying it for all the advanced tech, good for them. I just canā€™t see spending 6 figures on a vehicle that looks like a drawing my 3 year old niece made. To each their own I suppose.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Definitely it was gutsy to produce something so unusual and polarizing. I would never buy an electric because they don't put a manual transmission in them, but Tesla is doing pretty well.

Something like 50% of EVs sold are Teslas. Pretty impressive that a tiny and new company was able to do that. I love that the entrenched good old boys club gets some competition.
Elon is definitely an oddball, but most geniuses are a bit off.

I'll likely never own a pure BEV, maybe a Hydrogen Fuel Cell one day as a daily errand runner. I completely agree with the Toyota 1:6:90 formula, so we are looking for a Hybrid for my wife when she decides to go for a new car.

That said, back when Tesla announced the Model 3, I watched the establishment, be it the auto industry, finance, banking, SEC, all go after the company and try to "Tucker" Tesla. It was ridculous to see major auto makers OVER order brake suspension steering components to try to ice (no pun intended) Tesla out of the parts it needed to mass produce the Model 3. As a result, I started buying Tesla Stock WAY early on. In 2020, after the first (or second) split, I sold 25% of my Tesla stock and bought the Bullitt pretty much straight up.

I LOVE the swagger and innovation of this young US based global trend setting company. I will likely never own one, but I think it is great over all.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
While a lot of people are on the EV bandwagon, I have to wonder where the motors are coming from. I've heard that they're all made in China, regardless who the EV maker is (Tesla, GM, Ford, Audi, VW, etc.) I can't imagine each automaker is building their own motors from scratch; I'm thinking they just get the one big major motor manufacturer and they build it to the physical and electrical specs that the automaker wants. I suspect it's not unlike how Japanese instrument clusters are made by Kanto Seiki or other company which Toyota, Nissan, Honda buys from. They don't build it themselves. It's a matter of cost because R&D takes money and time but if someone makes nothing but a certain component, it tends to be better and cheaper overall. Same goes with relays, switches, etc. Somehow I just don't feel like supporting the CCP's economy.

CVN 80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Finally saw one on the road last night. Tried to snap a pic but he got his turn arrow before I could grab my phone. Had rust drips down the side of the truck. And my goodness is it UGLY. I donā€™t understand the fascination with it other than the Tesla fanboys/girls will worship anything produced by Musk or someone has to have the newest thing. If anyone here has one Iā€™m sorry but itā€™s the ugliest vehicle Iā€™ve ever seen.
Usually, things look BETTER in real life than in photos.

Not this time.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
Same goes with relays, switches, etc. Somehow I just don't feel like supporting the CCP's economy.
You are forgetting the cobalt in the batteries, and all rare earth metals that are in permanent magnet motors, 70% exist only in mainland China.

Already Deng Xiaoping, said "The Middle East has oil. China has rare earth metals". I guess it says it all.
Sponsored