Sponsored

Clutch went to floor with no resistance (Intermittent)

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I have a '19 GT PP1 and last friday on 2 separate occasions the clutch went all the way to the floor with no resistance and wouldn't come up all the way without being lifted by my foot. In a few minutes the problem went away and it behaved normal.

The following day I noticed a small puddle of oil on my garage floor (not much, more than a few spoons, didn't take more than 1 paper towel to wipe it). After that there doesn't seem to be any oil on the floor.

I went to a local Ford dealer and the earliest repair appointment they have is 3 weeks away.

My question is - what do I look out for. As it is behaving normal now I guess there is no leaking hose/connector. Is it safe to keep driving it till my repair appointment?

Thanks
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
See the link below, this might be your issue since its leaking outside. If it was inside I would say the Clutch master cylinder. Or you have leak somewhere in the system to the slave. I wouldnt drive it until you get it fixed, you are leaking brake fluid since the clutch and brake system are together. Thats assuming what you saw was actually brake fluid, most likely it is since it happen shortly after your issue.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/urgent-check-clutch-line-at-brake-master-cylinder.84132/

I suggest you pull a diagram of your clutch system and inspect the system starting from inside where the clutch master cylinder is all the way to the slave. There should never be any leak from the brake/clutch system you must find the source before you keep driving it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
The oil on the floor might have been brake fluid. Its position on the floor was somewhere a bit ahead of where the drivers foot would be. I'll check the hose connections that where described in the link you posted.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a slave cylinder going out to me, but mine was a little different to what you're describing. I'd have to lift my pedal from time to time to get the clutch to work. If I did that I could drive the car fine. I got into the habit of checking that pedal with my foot at every stop light and stop sign. Took quite a while to completely fail.

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
I called around to other ford dealers and now have a service appointment for Friday. I am wary about DIY fixes to critical parts like these - I'll let the mechanics handle it as they deal with such things all day long.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Lets us know once you get it diagnosed. I bet its that clutch hose at the Brake Master Cylinder.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; The must be a reservoir holding extra brake fluid. Since the brakes and clutch use the same fluid might be a good idea to check that reservoir and top it off if low.

Bear with me for a moment. I am often accused of overdoing preventive Maintenace. So be it. I flush the brake fluid of my vehicles every few years. Same for my hydraulic clutch on the manual. I cannot prove or confirm this makes a big difference. I think it does. Lots of folks never do such a thing and seem to get by.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Just to update what happened. My service appointment was this morning and coming home from work last evening, about a mile from home, the clutch again went totally limp to the floor and would not come up at all. Thankfully I was already in my neighborhood in second gear and managed to come home without stalling for a pedestrian/traffic.

Got the car towed (tow truck guy wanted $50 extra coz it was a low car that would not go onto the flatbed incline and he had to use ramps - well with no options, I agreed) to the dealer.

The dealer said that they needed only two parts KR3Z-7A512-A and FR3Z-7A512-A both of which were hydraulic hoses that were out of stock and back ordered. The intriguing part was that the KR3Z-7A512-A hose was not available anywhere (online + dealers) in the country and only 1 piece was available with a dealer in Apex NC. I called them up and they wouldn't sell it over the phone using a credit card - it had to be done online via Ford's website.

Ford's website is designed in such a way that you can only search 4-5 dealers in a specific zip code and not state/nation-wide. I put in the Apex NC zip code and they showed that no one had it in stock. So Ford thinks no one has it in stock and the Apex dealer that has 1 piece won't sell it over the phone.

That's where it stands. I am trying to get my service center call the Apex service center and have them send it from NC to MD.

Makes me think my Mustang GT must be an exotic car like a Ferrari that no dealer has the parts in stock. Is this the penalty that stick-shift enthusiasts have to pay. A $40 part can't be located anywhere and it is a 3-6 week wait to get the backordered part from Ford.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Last edited:

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; A just if nothing else works idea. Much depends on how the hydraulic hoses are failing. If the ends are good and it is the hose itself which failed perhaps have a new hose attached to the ends.
If the ends are bad then no luck unless the ends are of common design.

Last idea. Are there aftermarket hydraulic clutch sets which may include the master +slave cylinders and also hydraulic hoses?

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
A final update - I got my car a week ago on 6/7. According to the dealer they just replaced 2 hydraulic hoses KR3Z-7A512-A and FR3Z-7A512-A and topped up the brake/clutch fluid. I did not get the old parts to see what was the actual damage.

Ford support was nice to be in touch with me via phone to follow up on the parts and even gave me a complementary service coupon (dont have the details yet - but the lady on the phone said it was worth 300).

Feel fortunate that the line failure showed signs of going bad before just quitting. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had that type of failure on a busy road/highway.

Last edited:

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
I had a similar issue happen to me this morning. Clutch pedal was short in travel and clutch engagement was low compared to the normal high engagement point. I checked and didn't see any puddles on the driveway. My master cylinder to firewall hose has been replaced with the Steeda unit. Things went back to normal in the afternoon but just to be safe I'll get it checked out. For my application only one of the hoses is backordered.
Sponsored