JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up the car today. Sitting in the sun baking so it will help cure faster.

Hot day today which is perfect for letting it bake.
IMG_1955.jpeg
IMG_1979.jpeg
IMG_1987.jpeg
IMG_1991.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2002.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_2009.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
There was very small high spots, but the guy said he will come and buff those out at my home next week. He is really nice guy and his dad also belongs to a local car club (Carolina exotic car club).

Thinking of joining it. A lot of people with very exotic cars there. So good to network and find out all of the best places to get things done etc. They also have VIR day where you get to go out on the track for a full day.

The shine is incredible. I could not just go home, so I drove around with it for 30 minutes. The amount of brake dust this thing puts out is amazing.

The detailer told me that won't do anything. The wheels had plenty time to cure as it was the first thing they did and he just told me to keep baking it as much as I can and let it fully cure. 2 weeks is what he told me.

Also, never go through any car wash. I am probably going to get a power sprayer so I can soak it and power wash it off. It is pretty much all that needs to be done. Then take it back to him to get it detailed once every 2 months. He will do a full refresh on the car with SiO2 car spray to revitalize the hydrophobic coating.

I am so glad I got it done early in the car ownership. He did say he still spent over 6 hours doing all prep work even as a new car. I believe him as I watched a lot of the process.

He went through it such detail, I could never imagine doing this. I was going to get my entire exhaust sanded and coated, but he said that would be a waste for these pipes. If I ever change these pipes out, to do it then.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the pictures and the process.

Warning I would say is, after watching these guys who are certified and trained professionally do this over 7 full days, I would not even try to do this at home by myself. Even if I had the time. It took 3 guys first 3 days and he did the rest of the final coating himself, because he told me, he doesn't like to have someone else doing other side while he is doing it. Which is why it took a little longer.

I saw him heat lamping each panel as he was doing it as he told me multiple coats require you to do small sections so it does not dry out too fast.

I learned a lot.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I did the same plus some film in areas where I suspect there may be some issues. I spent 4700 and I will say, the car looks amazing just like yours. The products used are 10 year and since the car is covered a lot, It should make it just fine. Mine included 2 paint correction cycles. My installer has a Masters degree in detailing and is a feature at SEMA.

Sponsored

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
There was very small high spots, but the guy said he will come and buff those out at my home next week. He is really nice guy and his dad also belongs to a local car club (Carolina exotic car club).

Thinking of joining it. A lot of people with very exotic cars there. So good to network and find out all of the best places to get things done etc. They also have VIR day where you get to go out on the track for a full day.

The shine is incredible. I could not just go home, so I drove around with it for 30 minutes. The amount of brake dust this thing puts out is amazing.

The detailer told me that won't do anything. The wheels had plenty time to cure as it was the first thing they did and he just told me to keep baking it as much as I can and let it fully cure. 2 weeks is what he told me.

Also, never go through any car wash. I am probably going to get a power sprayer so I can soak it and power wash it off. It is pretty much all that needs to be done. Then take it back to him to get it detailed once every 2 months. He will do a full refresh on the car with SiO2 car spray to revitalize the hydrophobic coating.

I am so glad I got it done early in the car ownership. He did say he still spent over 6 hours doing all prep work even as a new car. I believe him as I watched a lot of the process.

He went through it such detail, I could never imagine doing this. I was going to get my entire exhaust sanded and coated, but he said that would be a waste for these pipes. If I ever change these pipes out, to do it then.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the pictures and the process.

Warning I would say is, after watching these guys who are certified and trained professionally do this over 7 full days, I would not even try to do this at home by myself. Even if I had the time. It took 3 guys first 3 days and he did the rest of the final coating himself, because he told me, he doesn't like to have someone else doing other side while he is doing it. Which is why it took a little longer.

I saw him heat lamping each panel as he was doing it as he told me multiple coats require you to do small sections so it does not dry out too fast.

I learned a lot.
The car looks great man. I have the same color scheme, so I hope mine comes out at least nearly as nice as yours. Sounds like you got the full monte. I plan to get 1 stage paint correction (they said I dont need a lot bc the car is new), a decent amout of PPF, and ceramic coat on the big bits (I'd say "on everything", but you took that to an entirely new level!) for about $2K. Thats midwest pricing. Sounds like I need to get it done soon so I can take advantage of the summer bake-in days!!

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Beautiful car! I'm dropping mine off Thursday to be coated. $2k for a lifetime warranty, annual inspection/touch up.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta say I am speechless .. you can do the same with a 150 bucks cquartz kit. Dyi of course.
Looks good thoigh.. but each to its own

OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta say I am speechless .. you can do the same with a 150 bucks cquartz kit. Dyi of course.
Looks good thoigh.. but each to its own
I am sure most of this is labor and time = money. Also I lack the expertise to do this, it would not have turned out very good and taken a lot longer. If you screw up, the only way to fix it is to wet sand the clear coat off after it dries. It is like glass hard as I saw the coating on a table as a sample.

Sponsored

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
I agree, the car looks great and will make cleaning the car so easy. If you do not have good experience with detailing cars I would have avoided the process as well. I have ceramic coated my cars and it takes time, including cure time. The process takes a full day for me to complete the car (painted surfaces only) and then leave it in the garage for a few days to cure. If I have paint correction, it'll take longer for paint to cure. The DIY kits will not last as long, but 10 years is a stretch since it seems more marketing oriented on the hopes no one claims or cars transferred between owners and it is forgotten about.

You don't have to wet sand to remove most ceramic coatings, but do have to use different methods which adds risk to the clear-coat. I would question the 2 month detail requirement (if there is cost associated to it) because it is probably jut putting the hydrophobic "booster" on it and you could do that yourself in reality,.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure most of this is labor and time = money. Also I lack the expertise to do this, it would not have turned out very good and taken a lot longer. If you screw up, the only way to fix it is to wet sand the clear coat off after it dries. It is like glass hard as I saw the coating on a table as a sample.
Very wrong... the most it can happen is for the coating to flash quicker than you wipe if off, and you have some marks on the paint... for a while. It is not permanent. It will come off in a year or so with environment, washing it, etc. Very hard to stuff up light colors, it is almost invisible. Dark ones, are mostly where you can leave visible marks... I made such a mark on my BMW's bonnet, I was greedy and did too big of a surface, and it flashed before I managed to wipe it.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Got mine back today. Very happy with the results. 5 layer ceramic coating on all the paint, plastic, glass, and wheel faces, PPF on the front bumper area. I don't think the camera picked up my reflection as well as I would have liked, but you get the idea.

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
My 2 cents :) Just wondering why you guys are spending thousands of hard earned dollars on some ceramic coatings with life time warranty?
They are brand new cars, with meeeh paint quality but with decent clear coat. 90 procent of us will change the car before factory warranty expires so max 5-6 years because its not the last mustang ever made and we, always want new toy some day.

Protect the paint? From what? Are you planning to keep in the the salty water? Keep it year around outside baking on Arizona heat? Drive it through harsh chicago salty winter? Daily it 30 k miles a year? I doubt it. It will be in garage, under cover , in a shade , taken out on the weekend or some track days.
Similar shine will give you regular 10 dollar wax than you can apply yourself twice a year. If you track it alot, i would inatall protection film on front bumper. If you daily it, just drive it, enjoy it. That 3 k, i would spent on track tires or vacation just my 2 cents and what i think about it . But yes the shine looks good !
Sponsored