Sponsored

Can we please talk drive modes for a moment?

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
For the past few months, I have spent a lot of time experimenting with the Mach 1 drive modes. My 2016 GTPP only had steering mode so I was new to this. Here's what I've learned.

Changing the drive modes stiffens and softens the magnetic suspension and also completely changes throttle mapping. But, why can't we independently change them?

Sport Mode has best throttle response but track mode has best suspension feel. I understand that on a track you're at much higher rpm so low end, that throttle is very much numb compared to S+. Snow/wet mode is omg, nothing there but it does feel very soft.

Is there no tune or loophole where we can choose our own settings like McLaren and others allow?

Track suspension
Sport throttle
Track exhaust
Comfort steering
TC off but advance trac on
Sponsored

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Can't directly speak for Mach 1's but on mine, whenever I configure it how I want you can "Set MyMode" and then a MyMode option will appear when you flip through drive modes, and it'll set everything to the levels you had it at at time of setting. For example I put the car in S+ mode, then opened my exhaust valves to Track, and set MyMode so whenever I select MyMode it will go to that configuration. I know steering is included in that configuration but I'm not positive about TC, I think it is

OP
OP
Nickel

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Can't directly speak for Mach 1's but on mine, whenever I configure it how I want you can "Set MyMode" and then a MyMode option will appear when you flip through drive modes, and it'll set everything to the levels you had it at at time of setting. For example I put the car in S+ mode, then opened my exhaust valves to Track, and set MyMode so whenever I select MyMode it will go to that configuration. I know steering is included in that configuration but I'm not positive about TC, I think it is
I need to try and fiddle with My Mode. But I know when it's certain modes, I can't adjust steering stuff

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Interesting you find Sport+ mode throttle mapping the best as I find it the worst but apart from that I also believe that Ford could give us a bit more of independent settings.
You can set the exhaust individually but that's it.

Last edited:

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
Interesting you find Sport+ mode throttle mapping the best as I find the worst but apart from that I also believe that Ford could give us a bit more of independent settings.
I just want more my modes so I can have each drive mode with each exhaust setting depending on road conditions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nickel

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Interesting you find Sport+ mode throttle mapping the best as I find the worst but apart from that I also believe that Ford could give us a bit more of independent settings.
My FZ09 has 3 modes like that also and they're very noticeable. I believe with the right tune, someone could smooth those modes out and make them much more useable and responsive.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I need to try and fiddle with My Mode. But I know when it's certain modes, I can't adjust steering stuff
Try starting off in Normal mode before fiddling around. If you are in track mode already, certain parameters are locked in.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
The only thing you can customize in MyMode is steering feel and exhaust sound. Not throttle or Magnaride. It's dumb and I hate it. But installing the Steeda sway bars solved that problem. 😁

OP
OP
Nickel

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
The only thing you can customize in MyMode is steering feel and exhaust sound. Not throttle or Magnaride. It's dumb and I hate it. But installing the Steeda sway bars solved that problem. 😁
Do you know how much larger the Steeda sway bars are over the M1 HP?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Right, I forgot about the steering wheel being the second setting. Though I mostly drive in Comfort or Sport+ and cannot really say I noticed much of a difference.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You can add a throttle controller to change throttle sensitivity from mild to wild. It works independently of your drive modes. They’re also reasonably priced.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But, why can't we independently change them?
because the GT350 crowd would have a snit-fit if the lowly Mach1 was allowed to have their unique, blend of software features.

There is absolutely NO reason for the arbitrary tie-in except Ford Marketing hasn't been murdered in their sleep yet (I hope anew each day) and their damned "differentiation" and because some nit-wit decided to deny users the feature.

Is there no tune or loophole where we can choose our own settings like McLaren and others allow?
Absolutely. About another $150,000 should do it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
port Mode has best throttle response but track mode has best suspension feel. I understand that on a track you're at much higher rpm so low end, that throttle is very much numb compared to S+. Snow/wet mode is omg, nothing there but it does feel very soft.
Sport mode throttle is annoying as FK on a manual.

If you search you'll find the graphic someone posted that shows the approximate throttle response curves that Ford used for the modes. Track and Normal are the same - linear. Personally I think Track should probably be linear to about 60% and then comes at an increased rate.

There are in-line devices you can buy that will let you tailor throttle behavior any which way you like.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My FZ09 has 3 modes like that also and they're very noticeable. I believe with the right tune, someone could smooth those modes out and make them much more useable and responsive.
What year FZ09?

Unfortunately just like Yamaha (well, all the Jap4 really) SUCKs at suspension (well, their instructions to Kayaba blow), Ford suspension damping algorithms stink as well. Unfortunately none of the ECU tune guys cover the MR controller. Mercifully the M1 got the 350R/GT500 dampers so their innate rates are higher than the earlier stuff the poor EB/GT/350 got stuck with.

If you want to fix the MR you can either buy a Camaro :), or throw money at Steeda for their hard-coded controller, or go the full-tune-yourself route thru a couple different parties, but they all use the same controller hardware.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know how much larger the Steeda sway bars are over the M1 HP?
it's been posted before.

sway bars don't control damping rates when straight and level.
IMO if you're just gotta do a bar, do the standard Steeda front (not the giant 38mm or whatever the hell it is) and put it on 2nd hole (of 5) from free end.
Sponsored