BBQ tick?

Chris1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Changed the oil today for the 3rd time. Alway M1 5w30. Today it to the carwash after and started to notice this irregular tick from the top of the engine on the way home.

I know these have the BBQ tick and injector tick as well. This one seems very irregular. It will even stop for a few seconds. Happens at idle with the engine at full temp.

let me know what you think. Should I take it to the dealer??

Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
My hearing is really bad but the sound reminds me of my old Smith-Corona.

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Try a bottle of this.

1719204943940-do.png

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
So Ironic, I just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago, M1 5W30 and got out to take some pictures yesterday and left mine running and noticed the EXACT same noise. It is 90 degrees plus here in the afternoon so don't know if that plays into it any. And I do run a bottle of Ceratec every oil change, I was trying to avoid it from the start since my F150 was worse. It ran to 100K miles before I traded it in so I'm not too concerned, it just sounds annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
So Ironic, I just changed my oil a couple of weeks ago, M1 5W30 and got out to take some pictures yesterday and left mine running and noticed the EXACT same noise. It is 90 degrees plus here in the afternoon so don't know if that plays into it any. And I do run a bottle of Ceratec every oil change, I was trying to avoid it from the start since my F150 was worse. It ran to 100K miles before I traded it in so I'm not too concerned, it just sounds annoying.
It’s very annoying. Sounds like it’s coming g from the top of the engine though. The thought the bbq tick was from the bottom mostly.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
It’s very annoying. Sounds like it’s coming g from the top of the engine though. The thought the bbq tick was from the bottom mostly.
Don't know. But mine sounds exactly like that. And just noticed it this weekend. Did the 20k oil change a couple of weeks ago. Drove it hard right after though on a rally.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have tried 3 different oils in my 18 GT, all 5w-30wt, Mobile 1 made the tick worse, Castrol Edge was slightly better and Penzoil Ultra Platinum was the best at minimizing the tick. A bottle of Ceratec solves the problem regardless, but you may not need it using Penzoil PUP.

OP
OP

Chris1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Don't know. But mine sounds exactly like that. And just noticed it this weekend. Did the 20k oil change a couple of weeks ago. Drove it hard right after though on a rally.
Same here. 20,000 km on the car, changed the oil and drove it hard. Tick started.

OP
OP

Chris1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
I have tried 3 different oils in my 18 GT, all 5w-30wt, Mobile 1 made the tick worse, Castrol Edge was slightly better and Penzoil Ultra Platinum was the best at minimizing the tick. A bottle of Ceratec solves the problem regardless, but you may not need it using Penzoil PUP.
I’ve only ever used M1 in the car. Is the Penzoil Ford rated for the car??
I’ll pick up a bottle of Ceratec at lunch and see what happens.

Sponsored

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I was running 5w20 from Valvoline, I had a thin/soft sounding tick. I asked them to put in 5w30, and my ticking got thicker/louder. I believe it you’re going heavier oil, you should use ceratec

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I’ve only ever used M1 in the car. Is the Penzoil Ford rated for the car??
I’ll pick up a bottle of Ceratec at lunch and see what happens.
I have not specifically looked to see if the PUP is "rated" for the car but I am sure it is. It is Penzoil's premium synthetic. The "Ultra Platinum" is different than the regular platinum btw. My local Wal-Mart does not stock the Ultra version but I can order it from their website.

OP
OP

Chris1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
I have not specifically looked to see if the PUP is "rated" for the car but I am sure it is. It is Penzoil's premium synthetic. The "Ultra Platinum" is different than the regular platinum btw. My local Wal-Mart does not stock the Ultra version but I can order it from their website.
Thank you. I’ll look at it for my next change. I want to stick with Ford rates oil just for warranty purposes though.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I ran PUP in my F150 for quite a while and had no issues. Availability is the hard part for me. M1 is easy to find and cheap at Wally locally.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Ceratec will almost eliminate the sound. Mine did it after the first oil change at the dealer.
Sponsored