Sponsored

Bad ball joints on front lower rearward control arms?

6Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6 Black
There's excessive play at 3 and 9. Popping and creaking sounds on left side while driving straight at low speeds, especially on an incline. Occasional creaking when reversing from the driveway. I also had to replace the front tires last week due to uneven tire wear with the inside tread being worn out prematurely.

To me it looks like a bad lower ball joint on the front lower rearward control arm. The shop also came to the same conclusion while having it on a lift.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Good video. Based on the slight 3/9 movement and the noises it is making it is probably starting to wear. You could replace it and then get an alignment but I personally don't think this is all that urgent. You could probably go another few months through the summer before it is fixed but if you have the time to fix it now jump on it.

Schuvwj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Roush Supercharged
How many miles do you have on these ball joints?

OP
OP

6Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
Good video. Based on the slight 3/9 movement and the noises it is making it is probably starting to wear. You could replace it and then get an alignment but I personally don't think this is all that urgent. You could probably go another few months through the summer before it is fixed but if you have the time to fix it now jump on it.
Thanks. I think I need an alignment because my previous front tires had uneven wear. I think it would be best to solve the suspension noise before getting the alignment.

I was told by the tire shop and auto shop that an alignment wasn't necessary when I switched over to the PP1 19s with new tires from the stock 17s in 2020. I think that was bad advice as the inside tread on the front tires had worn out prematurely.

How many miles do you have on these ball joints?
A lot lol. Got the car back in mid 2020 at 50k miles. I'm at 90k miles now. So I don't think the suspension parts were ever replaced.

OP
OP

6Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
Noise when moving steering wheel

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Yup! Those ball joints are smoked. It would make no sense at all to have an alignment done without replacing them first. Also, if left as they are they are just going to cause more wear every where else in the front suspension.

Unless you do your own work, take it to a reliable shop , have the entire front end inspected and replace all worn parts, align, and then drive it like you stole it.

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
Best to get the Ford Performance M3075 kit for the value alone. Just swapped 4 of mine on 40K mile car this aft took 2 hrs. Feels like new.

OP
OP

6Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
Best to get the Ford Performance M3075 kit for the value alone. Just swapped 4 of mine on 40K mile car this aft took 2 hrs. Feels like new.
Thanks, but I don't think this will fit the V6.

OP
OP

6Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
I've confirmed the front lower rearward control arms are bad. Everything else is tight with no play. Got a quote at a local shop:

2017 Ford Mustang Non-performance pack

$130 usd for aftermarket control arms
$190 usd for the labor
$70 usd for an alignment

The car was purchaed in mid 2020 with 50k miles and as of today is at 90k miles. So it's safe to assume these have never been changed.

The car is being daily driven 75 miles per day at highway speeds for the past 6 months.

Last edited:

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
If one is out the others are on that way out.

I paid shop to diagnose clunking they said it was one arm only.

I did the Ford Performance kit and sure enough all the joints were sloppy would start clunking any time.

LMR has the kit for $285 incl shipping. I think it's the best value.

My alignment was not altered at all after swapping all 4 arms.
Sponsored