Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
From what I read before I got my Mach 1, dealerships and people I talked to expected the Gen 3 coyote in this configuration to use a bit of oil, but not on the scale of the voodoo. I did a full weekend (maybe 800 miles) of dragon driving and then a track day at AMP and Road Atlanta and my car hasn't used a drop. I was actually surprised. I was checking it a lot and no usage. Has anybody else had different results?
Sponsored

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
Nope. But If I am its miniscule and I can't tell.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Have not lost a drop, in leaks or burning. Two oil analysis have come back nominal.

No modifications to the engine.

Performed what I considered a progressive break-in, especially in the first 100 miles / 160 kms.

First oil change at 1,250 miles / 2,000 km. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 5W30.

For fuel, Shell Premium, highest octane in my area.

Everything has weathered in well. Have not had any issues or tells that concern me.

Last edited:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
Mine does not consume any oil. Did a careful and progressive break in.
I do that on any car and none of them consume any oil.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Mine does just a bit but not enough to worry about. I check every 1000 miles or so and it has maybe moved a hair. I did the same a couple weeks ago, did a Mustang Rally all over the TOD area and Western NC, 1000 miles total and no usage noticed. I think I put about 4 oz in at the 4000 mile mark last oil change just because I am OCD. But with 10 quart capacity nothing to worry about. That said, my Gen 3 Coyote F150 I had to put a quart in every 2500 or so. Ran it to 100k miles without any issue though, ran perfect...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the Voodoo is a special case because it's more likely that people won't use them as cars. I think when a car is babied too much, the rings don't seat very well. Too much idling and/or very little full throttle usage is not good for an engine.

Also, the original Voodoo design rings seemed to be slightly fragile (or possibly there was an issue with the factory installation methods). Ford did a redesign on the rings fairly quickly during Voodoo production.

A third factor in this oil-using reputation - I owned a 2016 GT350 and mine didn't burn any oil - unless I overfilled it. The oil level wanted to be halfway in between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick. If I tried to keep it at the top mark, I could continue adding oil and the level would continue to fall. If I just left it alone at that halfway mark, it would stay there for the full oil change interval. Some people whose engines "use oil" are just really overfilling their engines rather than following Ford's instructions.

I broke in my Voodoo engine with a lot of full throttle and no throttle engine braking at mid RPMs. So I think that kind of initial usage prevented any issues with the rings seating.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
None. Most cars do not burn oil from new.

The only time they do are sometimes the hand built engines OR most likely... the factory built the engine incorrectly to begin with.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't notice any oil use in my yearly 3000 miles between changes either. Minimal amount of oil that I pour out of the catch can.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
From what I read before I got my Mach 1, dealerships and people I talked to expected the Gen 3 coyote in this configuration to use a bit of oil, but not on the scale of the voodoo. I did a full weekend (maybe 800 miles) of dragon driving and then a track day at AMP and Road Atlanta and my car hasn't used a drop. I was actually surprised. I was checking it a lot and no usage. Has anybody else had different results?
I see a slight amount like an oz or less in my catch can about every 5k miles.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
just a table spoon or so in the catch can, nothing measurable in the first 6K.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
I have a 2017 GT convertible with 29k miles. It doesn't use any oil between oil changes
Sponsored