Are long tube headers worth it ?

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
So I’m deciding if long tube headers are worth the price N/A ? For the price of headers and having a shop install I can get my car wrapped a different color… I do like how they make the car louder and a little HP. Do you guys think it’s worth the price ? Or spend it elsewhere ?
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
In hindsight, no. I did a set and it makes your car a LOT louder. Unless you are going boost, skip them. They are expensive, plus paying a shop to install is not cheap. The juice isn't worth the squeeze IMHO. Now an intake and a tune, yes. That is definitely worth it...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
So I’m deciding if long tube headers are worth the price N/A ? For the price of headers and having a shop install I can get my car wrapped a different color… I do like how they make the car louder and a little HP. Do you guys think it’s worth the price ? Or spend it elsewhere ?
If one is debating on headers or a wrap, I think you are a wrap type of person.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
better to go cat delete with the stock headers.

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium
Any one component without a "systems" approach is difficult to justify for the limited gains with only a component, not to mention if one has to depend on a shop to do the work. Basically, as has been stated many times in threads like these, it depends on what you want to do with your car. I did headers on my F-350 Tremor and grew to dislike them rather quickly, because I daily'd the Tremor.

I don't daily my GT and will be doing LTHs, but not without everything else that should go with what it means to do LTHs. I'll be staying NA, so everything upstream and downstream of the LTHs will change as well. The other part is, I do all my own work, so can disassemble the car and don't have to be in a hurry to have it back together. But, if "loud" isn't your (not you, but in general) thing, neither are headers.

Hope this helps....

MB

Sponsored

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
I did long tubes and katless and the car ran better as far as cruising and getting up to speed, I did mine prior to the super charger, I’m sure elevations may have something to do with noticing any difference, I’m on the gulf coast and about 12ft above sea level and around 1100da in summer

Fusion Training Systems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
I added kooks LTH had it dynoed and picked up 17hp. Was it worth the 17hp? Probably not but I like the sound and going FI. I also 20in resonators to my car back to reduce the drone and I’m happy I went that route.
If you don’t want loud, stay stock headers plus like others have said, it also depends on your future goals with the car.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I had long tubes on my 17 and I have them now on my 23 and I installed them both myself. It's a lot of work but it can be rewarding. As for cost, the stainless power brand are fairly cheap https://www.americanmuscle.com/stainless-power-catted-lt-headers-oe-1516gt.html
and fit is excellent and they are complete with cats. If you decide to tackle the install yourself, do yourself a favor and go to harbor freight and buy the engine lifting bar, it will save you a lot of headaches and you won't have to have a jack under the car to hold up the engine while you install the headers.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-...-bar-96524.html?_br_psugg_q=engine+lift+plate

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really worth it $/hp

Headers aren't cheap and the X pipe is expensive as shit too

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Better to get a proper cat back exhaust system (active exhaust if possible) to get the tone you want. Then get E85 and tune. Then later boost!

edit: My stock M1 exhaust sound perfect to me pretty loud now with the H pipe I added. I wouldnt want it any louder.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Not really worth it $/hp

Headers aren't cheap and the X pipe is expensive as shit too
The x pipe is a non issue if you leave the factory resonator and the factory active exhaust in place like I did. The car is almost as quiet as stock until you put the active in track mode and get on it, then you know it has headers.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
No way. As I said on here the other day it must be the most expensive way to gain 15hp on these cars. All other things equal a car with lighter aftermarket wheels will eat a car with headers alive.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
No way. As I said on here the other day it must be the most expensive way to gain 15hp on these cars. All other things equal a car with lighter aftermarket wheels will eat a car with headers alive.
If you want to make an omelet, you have to crack some eggs.

Fusion Training Systems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1