2019 GT Taillamp Panel Crack

Jonessport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1, 2019 Edge SEL 2.0L EcoBoost
My 2019 GT has developed a vertical crack right down the center of the taillamp panel--between the camera and the 'GT' emblem. It's got 33,000 miles on it and never been hit or abused. Anyone else have this issue, and was Ford willing to step up and replace it?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The rear valance panel.

You can always try, but I'd think you're outside the warranty window.

The Bumper-to-Bumper is 3 years / 36, 000 mi (58,000 km). If it had happened in this timeframe, maybe.

There are Technical Service Bulletins for corrosion and paint defects. I've also noticed one for panel gaps. But I've not seen one for the valance panel or cracking plastic body items as you describe.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There are Ford Performance replacement panels that arenā€™t very expensive assuming youā€™re out of warranty. They donā€™t come with an emblem or the holes for an emblem. A lot of people like the emblem delete and there are also various aftermarket badges out there that some folks like to use as well.

OP
OP

Jonessport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tips on the warranty and FP replacement panel. Will take a run at the dealer anyway--Class A body parts should not split like this after just four years/33k miles with no abuse. If they won't goodwill it, and a direct replacement part is too expensive, I'll look at the FP part. (I DO like having the GT badge, though...)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A good dealer will just swap it for you under warranty, but a bad one (or one that has too much warranty work already) will just tell you that you must have gotten hit or damaged it physically.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It *might be covered* as a manufacturing defect, but donā€™t count on it.

Ford bumper to bumper is 3/36, whichever comes first; however youā€™re outside of the warranty by the accrued years.

The Ford Paint/Corrosion warranty is 5/60, whichever comes first. That usually applies to painted body panels and/or metal corrosion/perforation/aluminum issues. That panel is plastic, and itā€™s not a major body panel, so it does not fall into the Paint/Corrosion section.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP, if you like the GT badge, there are badges available that donā€™t have the pins (OEM panel and badge have locator holes & pins). The FP panel does not have the locator holes, so an OEM badge wonā€™t work unless you Dremel the pins off and add tape. But like I said, there are aftermarket GT badge options (UPR makes them, good quality).

OP
OP

Jonessport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, all, for the replies. I found a pristine OE panel on EBay and took delivery of it. I'll hang onto the current one till I can't stand it anymore and then replace it.
I suspect the constant daytime sun/heat exposure and cool nights here in SoCal thermally cycle and fatigue the plastic. It's kind of like the old Explorer/Aviator liftgate panel situation--an underdesigned part.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks, all, for the replies. I found a pristine OE panel on EBay and took delivery of it. I'll hang onto the current one till I can't stand it anymore and then replace it.
I suspect the constant daytime sun/heat exposure and cool nights here in SoCal thermally cycle and fatigue the plastic. It's kind of like the old Explorer/Aviator liftgate panel situation--an underdesigned part.
From what I understood about the Ford Explorer panel was that they cracked due to the panel also being glued to the rear hatch, which didnā€™t allow for excessive expansion/contraction over time.

BTW, how much did you have to outlay for a pristine S550 panel? They really started jumping in price over the last 2-3 years. When they were first listed on eBay, you could get them for like $80-$100 shipped. Recently, Iā€™ve been seeing them in the $150+ range, excluding shipping, and most arenā€™t even nice looking.

OP
OP

Jonessport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Vehicle(s)
I think it ran me ~$180, and it was boxed, bubble wrapped and looked factory-fresh. You're right, many are pretty scruffy and not worth buying. The dealer parts counter was quoting over $700 which I questioned--twice--but was told that's what it showed. (Still don't/can't believe it...)
Sponsored