Sponsored

2017 GT with a new rattle ticking sound at around 2K. Can anyone help identify?

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’m getting a new sound I can’t quite place. Is this rod knock, piston slap, lifters? It seems like a vibration? It started a few days after I replace the brake/clutch pedal assembly. I assume it is the most expensive option. :)
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
This is what Microsoft CoPilot says about the 2K rattle

"Ah, the infamous “2K rattle”! It’s a topic that has puzzled many Mustang enthusiasts. Let’s dive into it:
  1. What Causes It? The 2K rattle in the Gen 3 Coyote engine is typically associated with the high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP) coming online. The HPFP relies on fuel supplied from the passenger-side fuel rail, and there may be a moment of fuel starvation to the pump when the PCM instructs it to start sending fuel to the direct injection (DI) injectors1.
  2. When Does It Happen?
    • The sound usually occurs around 2,000 to 2,500 rpm, hence the name “2K rattle.”
    • It can happen both when the engine is cold and when it’s warm.
    • If you’re cruising on the freeway or highway in that rpm range, it’s hard to avoid without downshifting. However, if it only occurs when the engine is cold, it’s easier to manage2.
  3. Long-Term Impact?
    • Most owners experience this rattle, and it doesn’t seem to cause any significant harm to the engine.
    • While it might not be detrimental, it can be embarrassing. Fortunately, it’s not associated with engine vibration or other issues2.
In summary, turn up the radio, enjoy your Mustang, and don’t let the 2K rattle bother you too much! 🚗🎶321"

Microsoft CoPilot

OP
OP

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is 2017 GT without DI. I thought the 2k rattle was a gen 3 Coyote issue?

OP
OP

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Couple of additional details.
1. Sound doesnt get better after it’s warmed up. Maybe worse.
2. I changed the oil a week before.
3. Engine was rebuilt about 600 miles ago.

Sponsored

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
my last car had it. fomoco 4 banger. rattle it was infoumos on the platform. the motor was di /pi except it was di all the time with pi at wot. Now my gt 4k miles has it since day 1 so meh. now I will say my rattle was bad in the 4cyl so I went hunting and found a bad cam journal. I swapped the head and threw cams in it over a weekend. once that was done it was wayyy better but I still had it. some say it was vvt so I put a new one in. some say oil so I threw a pump at it... some say piston slap from the 2076 metal .basicly I went chasing something that was just my vvt pumping up. the 2-2.5 k rattle is embarrassing but normal. now with the build motor I'd be wary as I was with mine. I didn't think much of it till I found my bad cam journal. I would talk to the engine builder and then just monitor it.

try certec with thick oil if it is temp dependent. I believe the timing system advancement is pressure based and we'll ford is ford so duratech, mzr, coyote ... rattles like a snake.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
My 2K rattle does not sound like that and I cannot produce it when the car is sitting still. It only occurs under light throttle for me while I am moving or at least I can hear it then.

OP
OP

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A few more notes:
1. I already tried a bottle of ceratec but it made no difference.
2. I went from 5w-20 conventional oil for the first 500 miles and switched to 5w-20 semi synthetic currently. Oil looked clean.
3. No error codes and the car seems to drive fine other than it’s rattling loudly.
4. It’s loud in the car.

The engine at idle sounds different. I’ve attached a video of the engine from before the oil change and after.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
My 2017 has the 2k rattle. You have something different. 2k rattle is not that deep and at light part throttle driving around as Pittpa mentioned.

Sounds like rod knock. Pull the engine filter and cut it open.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
guys that is NOT the 2k rattle lmao, did anyone actually watch the video?
that's something physically knocking around under there.

Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
guys that is NOT the 2k rattle lmao, did anyone actually watch the video?
that's something physically knocking around under there.

Agreed. Mine is an annoying 2K-Rattle-Trap, but it doesn't sound like that.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
3. Engine was rebuilt about 600 miles ago.
Did you just re-build it? If not, I would've stopped driving the car and had it towed to whoever did it.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
I’m getting a new sound I can’t quite place. Is this rod knock, piston slap, lifters? It seems like a vibration? It started a few days after I replace the brake/clutch pedal assembly. I assume it is the most expensive option. :)
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my 2K rattle. It’s easier to ascertain in the second half of that video.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
That sounds like a subaru after doing too many donuts with the steering wheel cranked to the right...
Sponsored