2015 Mustang EPA DATA!!!! for most models.... UPDATE 2 ALL MODELS

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
You know, I find myself agreeing with those who suspect that Ford has sabotaged the V6 (i.e., with limited options and intentionally reduced fuel economy). And, if true, this is lame. If the Ecoboost is so great, let it sell itself on its own merits.

Frankly, I seriously question the wisdom of this approach. Let's not forget that the Camaro is selling well with its v6... and rumor has it that GM will be beefing up that mill for the 2016. The scuttlebutt is that the next Camaro also have a turbo 4, but as the BASE engine... not an upgrade. To me, that makes more sense. A good (I4)- better (V6)- best (V8) approach is intuitive and consumer-friendly. Ford has ditched conventional wisdom here, though, and is pushing the turbo 4 as the 'better' option. And what's better about it? It has more power and better fuel economy! Except that it really doesn't, so let's pretend that it does?!
If Camaro comes in with a ~280 hp turbo 4 as its base and a ~330 hp V6 as the upgrade, Ford will have little choice but to go back to the drawing board... possibly making the Ecoboost 4 the base engine, and introducing an Ecoboost 6 as the midrange option.
If I were king, the engine lineup this year would have been a less-aggressive 2.3 EB base, the 2.7L EB V6 as the stepup, and the Coyote on the top of the pile.

The 310 HP EB 2.3 at 32 MPG sounds suspiciously like what could have been done with the NA 3.7 V6, given another year of development aimed at real improvement. I really believe Ford set out to eliminate the NA V6, and they have really done a job with that by dropping the power, the fuel economy ratings, and the available content of the car.

All of that puts huge pressure on the 2.3 EB to do and be all for everyone who won't spend the money to buy a GT. That's a lot of expectation for a little engine. Now that it's apparent they are not going to get a CAFE bump from the EB, their motivation is harder for me to see. Maybe they thing the EB is more competitive outside the US. I don't know. It's a mystery.
Sponsored

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang kona blue v6
im pretty sure ford will laugh at them for doing it ass backwards cuz the turbo 4 with the stong low end torque would be the better motor, problem is GMs turbo 4 isnt on the same level as the ecoboost
Id trust a 3.7 over a 2.3l ecoboost in reliability

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Also, don't forget EPA testing includes popular options included on 33% or more vehicles. The V8 will likely be rated at PP if it accounts for 33% of expected sales. what was the percentage of track pack owners in 13-14?
I cannot possibly imagine the Performance Pack take rate will be 33%, since it's not available with an automatic, and I'd have to imagine the automatic take rate will be above 70%.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were king, the engine lineup this year would have been a less-aggressive 2.3 EB base, the 2.7L EB V6 as the stepup, and the Coyote on the top of the pile.

The 310 HP EB 2.3 at 32 MPG sounds suspiciously like what could have been done with the NA 3.7 V6, given another year of development aimed at real improvement. I really believe Ford set out to eliminate the NA V6, and they have really done a job with that by dropping the power, the fuel economy ratings, and the available content of the car.

All of that puts huge pressure on the 2.3 EB to do and be all for everyone who won't spend the money to buy a GT. That's a lot of expectation for a little engine. Now that it's apparent they are not going to get a CAFE bump from the EB, their motivation is harder for me to see. Maybe they thing the EB is more competitive outside the US. I don't know. It's a mystery.

fender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini JCW/50th LE
I have a 50th LE on order, Kona Blue-manual. I will drive this car on road trips and outings and on Track Days: however, my next car will be a Tesla. 90% of my driving is in the city and in traffic and even when I do go slightly further it is well under the range of an electric vehicle right now. BTW I fit right into the vast majority of drivers in terms of habits.
In 2017, I believe, EVs will take off. Of course for enthusiast like me the Mustang hits the spot, just not at the pump.
The guzzling V8 is a keeper and I am looking forward to taking delivery, but lets face it if MPG ( KM/L) is your main thing than the Mustang is not even a consideration regardless of the engine. The EB I think are decent numbers for the category of the car but when the Tesla comes out with their model under 35k and a 300km range ( 200+miles) sure looks good to me.

Sponsored

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
Id trust a 3.7 over a 2.3l ecoboost in reliability
Eh maybe a slight edge due to the 2.3 being an all new design, but its not enough in my mind to outweigh the significant advantage of having a superior motor

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang kona blue v6
Eh maybe a slight edge due to the 2.3 being an all new design, but its not enough in my mind to outweigh the significant advantage of having a superior motor
the 3.7l is the better motor, the 2.3 just has a turbo on it. I would assume a 3.7l can reliably hold more power than the 2.3l

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some EU countries have taxes based on engine size? Perhaps Ford knows the Eco is more desirable there but needs an extra push here in the States, hence the potential manipulation of the V6 numbers. It is a global car and I'm sure they'd rather have only the Eco and GT and not have to make an extra model just for the US. In fact didn't they say as much already? That the original plan was to scrap the V6 entirely?

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
the 3.7l is the better motor, the 2.3 just has a turbo on it. I would assume a 3.7l can reliably hold more power than the 2.3l
The 2.3L ecoboost is the better motor, built specifically for the mustang. Granted it is shared with the new Lincoln MKC. The 3.7L was originally a truck motor brought over to the mustang. It has now been dropped from the F-150 and is also being weened out of the other models as well.

This is also the reason why more money wasnt dropped into the 5.0. Its budget was based off the 5.0 for the F-150. I suspect before long the 5.0 will be the only N/A engine offered by ford, strictly for the mustang. Every other engine will be turbo'd.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some EU countries have taxes based on engine size? Perhaps Ford knows the Eco is more desirable there but needs an extra push here in the States, hence the potential manipulation of the V6 numbers. It is a global car and I'm sure they'd rather have only the Eco and GT and not have to make an extra model just for the US. In fact didn't they say as much already? That the original plan was to scrap the V6 entirely?
You are correct.

Sponsored

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Lets not forget that the mid model refresh for the 6th gen will most likely feature the new 10-speed. MPG's should go up a couple then.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I don't want to live in the future w/o V8s.
What is this world coming to?

Andy

Threads
Reaction score
I used to live in Europe and yes usually taxes there are based on engine displacement. That's why Ford needed the EB. A four cylinder engine will never be as smooth or refinded as a V6. When I talk to my friends in Europe and tell them that I am contemplating between a 2.3L turbo and a NA 3.7L V6, they all ask me and how much more expensive is the V6.

The EB was overpromised and underdelivered. It was supposed to be lighter, which is not, it's only 5 HP more than the old V6, which I am sure they could have tuned for additional 5, it's only around 2 mpg better on permium fuel and with a more slippery car. I am sure if they wanted they could have improved the V6 a little bit on the fuel economy front as well.

I know we are all fans of the Mustang and Ford and we all want them to be great, but the truth is the EB is not any kind of a superb racing engine. It's a Camry 4 cylinder with a turbo. In fact if I am not mistaken it is very similar to the Fusion 2L Ecoboost with additional displacement and tuning.

I think the reason why Ford introduced the EB is not because it is better than the V6, but for marketing purposes. Apperantly they are succeding, considering how many people are convinced that it is going to "blow the doors off" even the V8, just because it has great turbo "low end torque" and at the same time it is going to have the millage of a Fiesta.