Sponsored

2015 Mustang Dash litup like a Christmas tree, car runs fine, signals stopped working, AdvanceTrac, ABS, and hill start assist turned off

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
Red crimp connectors? If they aren't marine grade heat shrink connectors with adhesive inside then you will be looking at another failure in the future.
The old style with colored plastic insulators are open on both ends to the elements and will develop corrosion quicker than the connector you replaced.
Exactly that. Ford does sell the correct pigtail replacement kit that comes with crimp butt splices and heath shrink with adhesive.
There is also a TSB about that, I'm sure you want to do it properly.

Search here for the appropriate WPT: Pigtail Final.pdf (ford.com)
Sponsored

OP
OP

stephensatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Ok, here is the final writeup.

Wife was driving the car in the rain, about 2 weeks ago, Houston, very hot outside. Dash started to slowly light up like a Christmas tree. This is a 2015 V6 Mustang 3.7 liter, non-Mach package, basic. Automatic 80k miles.

Traction Control lights come on, 2 little cars skidding icons come on next to gear selections on dash. Advancetrac Service, Hill Start Assist Unavailable, Steering Assist Fault Service Required, See Manual with little wrench Icon. All kinds of lights light up, and the car becomes harder to steer, signals stopped working, all the buttons on the steering wheel stop working except the horn.

Codes:
Code: P062C - Internal Control Module Vehicle Speed Performance
Code: U0151 - Lost Communication with Restraint Control Module
Code: U0212 - Lost Communication with Steering Column Control Module
Code: U0121 - Lost Communication with Anti-Lock Brake System
Code: U0131 - Lost Communications with Power Steering Control Module
Code: U0415 - Invalid Data Recevied from Anti-Lock Brak Sytem Control Module A
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A

Ok, what is really going on here is the 3 wire . PSCM connector next to the larger 2 wire power connector on the rack n pinion, the 3 wire connector has become corroded from the oil dripping on it from the oil filter because its routed right under the oil filter. Because the CAN BUS is a "BUS" network, it will loose communications "downstream" to all items after the failure within the network, which is why we stopped using BUS networks in the 1980's for computers. I am an IT guy, this is "failed" tech from the past.

The fix is to order this part, and crimp on the new connector and thoroughly clean the connection point at the rack n pinion at the PSCM controller. I used a diamond bit "by hand" and scrapped the pins really well and some vinegar then sprayed it out with spray cleaner.

https://a.co/d/7hhf3E9

The part is called :

Wiring Terminal connector S-2280 and that refers to all Fords with that same part.

Another thing I did, and I highlighted that in red, is spin around the wire loom to body tie in reverse and this will cause the wire to "bow down" and create a drip loop on the wire harness similar to the wiring coming into your home at the wall, this way, in the future when oil drips, it won't run down the wire harness onto the connectors, but drip at the loop.

I then put dielectric grease around the connectors, not in them, and as you can see, I used split loom and also had a new CV boot from an ATV that I split and retrofitted over the entire harness just to keep oil off it from the engine. Be sure an locate all the grooves in these connectors downward so if water gets in them it drains out.

So far been driving it around off and on for an hour now, none of the lights on the dash have come back. Also I used Forscan to clear the DTCs, just FYI.

I circled in RED the little wire harness connector you need to rotate by hand, don't remove it, and put it into the bottom of the rack, whereas before it was on the top, this will cause a "drip loop" to form and that will help. Also notice I kept the "twist" in the two CAN wires, so before you crimp it, twist those together in the same manner as the factory. This is for the communications.

Also don't forget to put your marine heat shrink tubing with the gel on FIRST before you crimp on the connectors like I did, or you will have to go back and do it again.

dashlights.jpg

newpigtail.jpg

bootstrapflip.jpg

bootstrapflip2.jpg

boots.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP

stephensatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Thank you for the resources. Been since Monday now, been driving the car everyday, no lights have come back on the dash, car runs great. Drove it this morning, no issues. Happy wife, happy life. Its her car.
Sponsored