2015 EcoBoost fuel

TylerBoy54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
What type of gas is recommended for my 2015 eco-boost mustang? Sometimes the car feels like it is not idling as smoothly as it should be. Thanks

IMG_8151.jpeg
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
93 octane is the factory recommended fuel. It will run ok on 87 but there is a noticeable difference.
If you're getting an uneven idle, especially after a fillup, it could be a failing evaporative emissions purge valve, especially if it’s your habit to "top off" the fuel tank.
Hard to say though with such a vague description.

OP
OP
TylerBoy54

TylerBoy54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Yeah, I’ve just been running 87 octane only. I just bought the car a couple of months ago. At the next fill up, I’m going to try the 93 octane and see how it feels. Thanks

SnowTyres

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP+
Concur with ORRadtech. Put in 91 or 93 - whatever is premium where you live. Here in CA it is 91.

When I first bought my 2016 EB, I was curious if the fuel grade would really make a difference "in a Ford," as much as it did in my 350Z and RX-8, and tried the same thing as you. I put in a tank or two of 89 (mid-grade) and noticed the same kinds of symptoms you're generally suggesting. It didn't idle nicely. Throttle response was sluggish. Fuel economy suffered.

While modern engines can "deal with" non-ideal fuel conditions electronically, the Mustang Ecoboost is a performance engine and it is tuned for higher compression. Put in the top-grade and never look back. Your car will love you for it.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Just run it as low on the 87 as you can before you fill it up with 91/93 so you don't dilute the high test any more than necessary.

BD

Sponsored

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
I always use the highest octane can find. I see milage decrease with low octane so opcost is the same.

Use sport mode a few times a week or avoid lugging in MT car so don't get carbon buildups.

So much room under hood I would swap sparkplugs with OE, and the emissions purge valve, along with the low pressure fuel sensor ( fuel line top rear on the head)...it's all takes 20 min. Make sure you vacuum or blow the junk off the top of the head first.

OP
OP
TylerBoy54

TylerBoy54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
I always use the highest octane can find. I see milage decrease with low octane so opcost is the same.

Use sport mode a few times a week or avoid lugging in MT car so don't get carbon buildups.

So much room under hood I would swap sparkplugs with OE, and the emissions purge valve, along with the low pressure fuel sensor ( fuel line top rear on the head)...it's all takes 20 min. Make sure you vacuum or blow the junk off the top of the head first.
Which spark plugs do you recommend?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Unless you're changing components and using a tune that requires something different new OEM/ stock plugs are probably best.

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
I use Ford OE they are prepped. I only have Garrett IC, no tune.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
I 2nd Ford OE plugs gapped to 0.028"

BD
Sponsored