Sponsored

Top Tier gas - has this been done before?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
It is correct that a richer mixture helps prevent detonation and is why in my 76 HD shovel that from the factory was 8.0-1 compression that when I rebuilt it is now 9.5-1 compression and I have the carb jetted to about 12-1 AFR to keep it from detonating at WOT or going up hills under part throttle. It likes a rich mixture with the dual plug heads and high lift cams in it.

BD
Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic EB 6MT 101A (RIP 2016 V6)
Yes, NV is pretty much 87-89-91. Rebel has 100 (I think) racing fuel and Mavrik has an ethanol-free in some spots. There is one more parameter that can affect gas- the condition of the tanks and especially filters. Yes, each brand does their own additives, and some have better filters. A friend installs and maintains the monitoring systems as well as the systems on the pumps and registers. He knows how well the filters are cleaned or changed, and how much water is in tanks. He also suggests not getting gas if the tanker is unloading. And a busy, well-kept station is good. He uses mostly premium brands in their S550 Shelby, and S650 GTCS, but knows where the new stations with less expensive brands are as well.
I use Chevron almost exclusively here. The 2016 Mustang (V6, 6R80) ran well on it. For some reason it did not seem "like" Shell as much and the fuel milage suffered. That car was sadly totaled a couple of months ago, and its successor (a low mileage 2019 EB 6M) seems to "like" Chevron 91. I felt it ran a bit smoother after a couple of tanks. However, the high temps in June were all over 100 except for two (!)days, some over 110, and July is looking as bad. So I'll save any more totally seat-of-the-pants tests until Sept-Oct. In this heat, I'm driving gently and am grateful that the EB starts, a/c cools, and it drives without too many complaints, lol.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I worked at a Sunoco station for over 10 years up until 2018 and every year when the state came in to test our pumps for volume and octane. the 93 always tested over 94 usually 94.1 to 94.3. I used to have the paperwork to prove it . But I was always told that it was cheaper for Sunoco when they sold 94 to change the signs the then change the refinery’s equipment. I’ve always used Sunoco since and never had a problem
There is no equipment to change on the gasoline blender, just operators that run the blend heavy so they don't have to watch it. On 93 or 94 blends they want to stay as close as possible to that octane as those components create more dollar giveaway over the spec.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
CA is 91 I believe. A few other states as well.

It’s been 87/89/93 here in IL as long as I can remember
Here in a higher altitude area, the highest octane is 91. Wish it was 93, but it never has been, or I haven't seen it anywhere in this area.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have literally never put anything but Shell 93 in since she was delivered. And I never will. I go out of my way on road trips to stop at Shell. I am probably going a bit overboard. I have been only using shell for the last 15 years.

Got some bad gas at a Marathon once, did some homework, never looked back from what was then and still is the best tier/grade gas you can get.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Yes, NV is pretty much 87-89-91. Rebel has 100 (I think) racing fuel and Mavrik has an ethanol-free in some spots. There is one more parameter that can affect gas- the condition of the tanks and especially filters. Yes, each brand does their own additives, and some have better filters. A friend installs and maintains the monitoring systems as well as the systems on the pumps and registers. He knows how well the filters are cleaned or changed, and how much water is in tanks. He also suggests not getting gas if the tanker is unloading. And a busy, well-kept station is good. He uses mostly premium brands in their S550 Shelby, and S650 GTCS, but knows where the new stations with less expensive brands are as well.
I use Chevron almost exclusively here. The 2016 Mustang (V6, 6R80) ran well on it. For some reason it did not seem "like" Shell as much and the fuel milage suffered. That car was sadly totaled a couple of months ago, and its successor (a low mileage 2019 EB 6M) seems to "like" Chevron 91. I felt it ran a bit smoother after a couple of tanks. However, the high temps in June were all over 100 except for two (!)days, some over 110, and July is looking as bad. So I'll save any more totally seat-of-the-pants tests until Sept-Oct. In this heat, I'm driving gently and am grateful that the EB starts, a/c cools, and it drives without too many complaints, lol.
I never buy gas at stations that don't get a lot of traffic IE: sales.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know, but not all e85 tests true. Meijer is consistently good where I’m at. Just can’t decide if I want to go that route or not.
For sure. Meijer is one of the only stations around here that carry E85, and it supposedly tests well.

We have 2 Meijer stores, 1 Speedway (which supposedly tests like shit), and a Shell gas station for E85 here. Which kind of sucks, part of the reason I haven't switched over yet.

Smq1207

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1
There is no equipment to change on the gasoline blender, just operators that run the blend heavy so they don't have to watch it. On 93 or 94 blends they want to stay as close as possible to that octane as those components create more dollar giveaway over the spec.
Thanks for the info I don’t know how the whole production works. I was just going off of the paperwork the state gave me that said our 93 tested at a little over 94 every year. Then that’s what corporate told me when I was curious and asked about it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
On 93 or 94 blends they want to stay as close as possible to that octane as those components create more dollar giveaway over the spec.
I wonder what the cost delta would be to eliminate 89 altogether, harmonize 91/93 into just one or the other across the country (so what if high altitude NA cant maximize 93. Bite me. Nobody lives up there anyway) and offer something in the 95+ range for true high test instead of pussy footing around pretending to accomplish fk all.

I don't know where the knee points are on the distillates and the ratios available to pick economically viable blends.

But I stayed at a motel6 last night

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
89 is mixed at the pump. It is a blend of 93 and 87 in my neck of the woods.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Only one reason why there's lower octane at higher altitudes.

At higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower compared to sea level, which means there's less oxygen available for combustion. As a result, engines produce less power and run leaner (with a higher air-to-fuel ratio).

Engines lose about 3% of their power for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, just a blend of 87 and 91 since 91 is the highest we can get.
One station in my neck of the woods sold 94. Then they were bought out, and boom.. 91 only. I don't get how the Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, McLarens, Porsche's , etc around here get by on 91 ha-ha.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT
I wonder what the cost delta would be to eliminate 89 altogether, harmonize 91/93 into just one or the other across the country (so what if high altitude NA cant maximize 93. Bite me. Nobody lives up there anyway) and offer something in the 95+ range for true high test instead of pussy footing around pretending to accomplish fk all.

I don't know where the knee points are on the distillates and the ratios available to pick economically viable blends.

But I stayed at a motel6 last night
Sponsored