Sponsored

Top Tier gas - has this been done before?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can barely tell the difference between different fuel from different stations. The only thing I've seen that drastically impacts detonation is humidity.

Onn a dry day they all seem to perform the same. The difference is not noticeable in my experience.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
I personally prefer Shell for my Mustang.

Funny thing is, if I'm driving my Fusion, that bitch is getting whatever is most convenient.

Guess I'm a hypocrite.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I personally prefer Shell for my Mustang.
I don't see any change in my logs with Shell or Costco. No way I'm paying the shell tax for no benefit.

Last I checked Shell it was 5.05 for 93 and costco was 3.85 for the same. If I got MBT timing I might be willing to pay the difference.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
Yeah, gotta pull logs to truly know what is going on.

I've had bad results with a local Shell station's 93. Pulling timing. Not great.

Sunoco though, always great for me.

My E85 is WaWa brand, go figure, and has tested pretty much E84 forever, thankfully.

Sponsored

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
I don't see any change in my logs with Shell or Costco. No way I'm paying the shell tax for no benefit.

Last I checked Shell it was 5.05 for 93 and costco was 3.85 for the same. If I got MBT timing I might be willing to pay the difference.
At least where I am, 93, regardless of station, is within $0.10 per gallon. So, I just stick with Shell even if it's only in my head.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
We do so many things to help performance and keep our Mustangs running great so who pays attention to the quality of gas other than Octane?
Shell 91 V-power my car HATES. But I loves DOMO 91+

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Pretty sure gas is all the same within regions.
I think a distributor sells the gas to suppliers like Shell, Costco, Kum&Go :giggle: and 'supposedly' they add their own additives/detergents based on whatever they want. They never state what those are though so kind of hard to know what is really being done before the gas is sold.

While I like to tell myself I always buy top tier gas, it is the same shit everyone else pretty much gets in the area. Lets hope everyone gets top tier.

The big difference I think that truly matters are stores that maintain their holding tanks vs those that don't - causing an actual difference in quality of gas.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see any change in my logs with Shell or Costco.
I do.. Shell pulls timing (tried at 3 different shells) , DOMO does not.
These are the local gas stations in my area.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
"Top tier fuel" is more than just a sticker. Additives matter because the fuel burns cleaner and keeps carbon deposits low. I avoid places like QT and circle K for that reason.

Also, peaple conflate additives and Octane. They are two seperate things.

In Arizona we have 87, 89, and 91 octane. 93 is hard to come by. We also have summer and winter blends which change the ethanol content. All things need to be considered when talking "good and bad" fuel.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Top tier fuel" is more than just a sticker
It's literally a sticker that just says the gas station is using an additive package they approved

Did you not see the website

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
When I had my new eco for about a week, bought some gas from circle k since it was the cheapest premium in town. Never occurred to me at the time to wonder why the station was so empty with such cheap gas. Needless to say, about ten miles down the road I get a wrench and limp mode merging on to the highway. I was livid. I bought the car a week ago and already throwing codes!?!
I took the car back to Ford and asked what was up. “The manual says premium so I put in premium and now my cars throwing lights!” I exclaimed angrily.
The salesman who sold me the car noticed me waiting in the service center. He came over and jokingly asked if I was getting mods done already. No, I told him, this stupid car is throwing lights at me for having the audacity to floor it.

He was now very mad and told me he’d talk to the service center manager so I could be on my way. Turns out, I bought the worst gas in town. Ford drained my gas tank and checked it: wasn’t 91 octane at all and about 20% water. The circle k had horrible gas which the car just absolutely rejected. They filled me up with proper gas and didn’t charge me.

Ever since then, I only buy chevron or mobile and only from busy places. Not worth that terror again to save two cents.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Stations like CostCo have been known for a long time to have 93 that shows knock. I'm not singling them out, but their gas is 'TOP TIER'.
Top tier has nothing to do with performance, or knock prevention etc. It's purely a standard for certain detergents in the gasoline, that's it. It's not better, it's not worse.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
I do TT often. Partly because that station is nearest. I don't doubt they help in some capacity. I just never keep a car long enough for things like that to make an impact. I think their aim is to extend engne life no?

i will say prior to recent years I just filled up with whatever. And ive never had a fuel realted problem. infact ive had little to no problems with cars unless i created them myself. crap i shouldnt have said that.....now im gonna get some.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
It's literally a sticker that just says the gas station is using an additive package they approved

Did you not see the website
That's an over simplification.
Sponsored