Sponsored

Top Tier gas - has this been done before?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
We do so many things to help performance and keep our Mustangs running great so who pays attention to the quality of gas other than Octane? It's interesting to find out many of these ubiquitous brands are not rated Top Tier (google it). Yet there are many brands in your area probably. For a V-8 engine I surely want the best quality fuel with cleansing additives in my 'Stang. Others?
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I try to get TT usually, but do use E15 once in a while

Sponsored

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR Supra Matte Storm Gray Metallic
and Costco is rated Top Tier from the Top Tier website. I guess no surprise. Sam's/Walmart is rated poor.
And the best thing about it is it is typically cheaper than most other stations for getting fuel as well. It was my biggest selling point before I got a sams/costco card. I went with costco because of the fuel rating

edit: Coincidentally, I work at a dealership in the service dept. It seems like every year we get a few cars in here that aren't running right and find out they have water in the fuel system and they got their fuel from Sam's. Another reason why I stay away from there too

Last edited:

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's talk about 'TOP TIER' for a second.

It's simply a company that sells you a sticker to put on your gas pumps because you are using an approved additive package. That's it.

https://www.centerforqa.com/top-tier/

You can look at the specs here. Remember it doesn't mean anything about octane, or the actual performance of the fuel.

https://www.toptiergas.com/wp-conte...asoline_Performance_Standard_revF_2019-12.pdf

It's like a Better Business Bureau sticker on your company truck. It doesn't mean you do good business, you just paid the BBB a yearly fee for a sticker. The automakers joined together to create a spec 20 years ago. This is like having 'Dexos approved' oil.

When it comes to actual octane and gas performance, you need to test this on your own, on your own car.

Stations like CostCo have been known for a long time to have 93 that shows knock. I'm not singling them out, but their gas is 'TOP TIER'. Guys have been posting about it for years on all the car forums. They switch the gas to Shell, Sunoco, whatever, and the knock goes away.

So datalog your car, if you are getting knock from whatever gas station you get gas at, try another station and see if it goes away. You could even try the same brand but a different location. Just don't get fooled into thinking because you're getting gas from Station X, Brand X, or the pump has a TOP TIER sticker on it, that you're getting the best gas that you can get. Costco gas may be just fine in your car, but just test/check whatever you are running.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Just don't get fooled into thinking because you're getting gas from Station X, Brand X, or the pump has a TOP TIER sticker on it, that you're getting the best gas that you can get.
The dirty secrete is all the gas for an EPA formula approved area comes from the same master tank. Somewhere in your area is a gas distribution center. All the gas for, let's use Northern Ky, comes from the tanks on the KY side of the Ohio river in Covington. Some of this goes to other distribution tanks but most goes to every gas station in the area the EPA designated this blend for.

The truck driver pulls up and needs 87 and 93 for Shell, heads to the shell additive tank and loads 200 or so gallons of additive in each tank. He then goes to the main 87 tank and loads 5000 gallons of 87. He then switches to 93 and loads another 5000 gallons.

Now it is off to the Shell station driver unloads and heads back to the distribution center. He loads the Speedway add package, then to the 87 and 93 tanks then to the Speedway station............ Rinse and repeat for every gas station in the area. Brand doesn't matter.

The add packs MIGHT have an impact on detonation, but the EPA is pretty strict on what can be added to the already formulated fuel.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)

It's simply a company that sells you a sticker to put on your gas pumps because you are using an approved additive package. That's it.

You can look at the specs here. Remember it doesn't mean anything about octane, or the actual performance of the fuel.

https://www.toptiergas.com/wp-conte...asoline_Performance_Standard_revF_2019-12.pdf

It's like a Better Business Bureau sticker on your company truck. It doesn't mean you do good business, you just paid the BBB a yearly fee for a sticker. The automakers joined together to create a spec 20 years ago. This is like having 'Dexos approved' oil.

When it comes to actual octane and gas performance, you need to test this on your own, on your own car.

Stations like CostCo have been known for a long time to have 93 that shows knock. I'm not singling them out, but their gas is 'TOP TIER'. Guys have been posting about it for years on all the car forums. They switch the gas to Shell, Sunoco, whatever, and the knock goes away.

So datalog your car, if you are getting knock from whatever gas station you get gas at, try another station and see if it goes away. You could even try the same brand but a different location. Just don't get fooled into thinking because you're getting gas from Station X, Brand X, or the pump has a TOP TIER sticker on it, that you're getting the best gas that you can get. Costco gas may be just fine in your car, but just test/check whatever you are running.
I guess one of the larger draws (at least at my somewhat local Costco) is that they carry 93 octane vs most/if not all other stations in the area only have 91. I know it's not a big enough difference where you should notice anything though. I still like to run what is best if possible.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I stick to BP and Shell. Both are plentiful around here and I’ve never had an issue with any of them, either here or other parts of the country. Bonus, if you use their credit cards you save $0.10-$0.15/gallon on every fill up. Not a ton, but over a year or two or five, it adds up. Been using those two exclusively in my almost 30 years of driving. Don’t care if it’s TT or not as long as it’s quality gas.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess one of the larger draws (at least at my somewhat local Costco) is that they carry 93 octane vs most/if not all other stations in the area only have 91. I know it's not a big enough difference where you should notice anything though. I still like to run what is best if possible.
That's weird. I remember a long time ago stations had 87, 89, 91, 93 (94 for Sunoco) here. But now they just have 87/89/93. Haven't seen 91 anywhere in years

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That's weird. I remember a long time ago stations had 87, 89, 91, 93 (94 for Sunoco) here. But now they just have 87/89/93. Haven't seen 91 anywhere in years
CA is 91 I believe. A few other states as well.

It’s been 87/89/93 here in IL as long as I can remember

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
Yup I pay attention anytime I'm with someone who gets fuel at another spot than where I typically do. I pretty much don't see 93 anywhere except Costco for the most part. I know there are a couple others that carry it but it's very rare to find it around here.

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
Ours is mostly 87, 91, and 93. Not all around here carry 93 though.

BenjiSayRuh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alaric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack

is knock the same thing as misfire?
since getting my mustang back, ive only ever used Cosco gas from the same gas station and it has been producing a misfire.
Sponsored