OP

Metz3020827

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Look at the PDF I posted. You want to move the purple bolt toward the shock.
I’m gonna take it to the alignment shop soon and see if they’ll adjust it: I’ll show them the pdf
Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I’m not sure if that’s really the problem though. I think it’s the too much negative camber. The passenger side is a lot worse and the passenger side is also tucked in far more than the driver side. Took both wheels off yesterday. I am probably due for an alignment though.
Post the specs after you get it aligned if you can, I am curious. We had one of the first Hunter 4 wheel alignment machines years ago and i liked fixing cars after places like Firestone and Goodyear messed them up.
Then one day I decided I was done getting dirty and sold my tools and ended up in IT.

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hi guys! I have been having vibration issues in my seat and the floorboard of my car so I thought my tires were out of balance. I took my 17 Gt to get the tires rebalanced at discount today abs they showed me that the rear tires are cupped quite a bit, probably resulting in the vibration I’m experiencing.
There appears to be a humming noise coming from the tires too.
What is the cause of it? My shocks aren’t leaking and it looks like the suspension is in decent shape.
They’re nitto g2 555s 305/35r19 on a 19x11 wheel. They’re directional so they’ve never been rotated and they’re down to the wear bars now after 16 months.
I have -2.7° of camber bc I don’t have camber arms and I’m lowered. Is it bc lack of rotation and my alignment ? Do I need to worry it might be something else?

I’m getting new set of nitto g2 555s tomorrow from discount so no issue there I just want to make sure I’m not going to have the same issue.

IMG_6020.jpeg
Bearings, bad bushings, balance and bad shocks. Toe does not normally cause cupping.

OP
OP

Metz3020827

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Bearings, bad bushings, balance and bad shocks. Toe does not normally cause cupping.
Can the tires never being rotated be a problem? I don’t have any squeaks or clunks or anything.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Everything in this thread is pretty good. The only thing I will add is that some tires are much more prone to cupping than others. I do not know about these specific tires, but I have seen some tire / car combinations that do not agree (Bridgestone Turanza EL42 Runflat on a BMW E90 as an example - cupping city!)

Sponsored

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
So me and my pops took my wheels off and checked everything. The tires are worn on the inside on both tires and both cupped on the inside on each side in the rear. The passenger side camber is a little worse and the cupping was also worse. I’m going to chalk it up to them not being rotated and being worn down where they are as the culprit for now. I am getting my new nitto g2s tomorrow.
I run the same tires I rotate
Hi guys! I have been having vibration issues in my seat and the floorboard of my car so I thought my tires were out of balance. I took my 17 Gt to get the tires rebalanced at discount today abs they showed me that the rear tires are cupped quite a bit, probably resulting in the vibration I’m experiencing.
There appears to be a humming noise coming from the tires too.
What is the cause of it? My shocks aren’t leaking and it looks like the suspension is in decent shape.
They’re nitto g2 555s 305/35r19 on a 19x11 wheel. They’re directional so they’ve never been rotated and they’re down to the wear bars now after 16 months.
I have -2.7° of camber bc I don’t have camber arms and I’m lowered. Is it bc lack of rotation and my alignment ? Do I need to worry it might be something else?

I’m getting new set of nitto g2 555s tomorrow from discount so no issue there I just want to make sure I’m not going to have the same issue.

IMG_6020.jpeg
I have the same tires I rotate every 6 months and check alignment

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Stand 20-30 feet behind your car looking down the right or left side. Your tires aren't standing straight up, the top is tilted in a little. That means the tires are riding with more weight on those inside edges and they'll wear faster. Get the alignment to straighten them up or get a size in tires/wheels that you can rotate them front to back to keep that extra wear in check.

But if you're lowered with some wide ass tires you might need the camber to keep the tires from rubbing the fender wells. This is what it's like owning a modified vehicle.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Everything in this thread is pretty good. The only thing I will add is that some tires are much more prone to cupping than others. I do not know about these specific tires, but I have seen some tire / car combinations that do not agree (Bridgestone Turanza EL42 Runflat on a BMW E90 as an example - cupping city!)
I have found the 555 G2's cup pretty bad after a few thousand miles even if alignment is spot on. Mine have, front and rear. Definitely not getting Nitto's next time, they are terrible in the rain. I had my alignment checked and the rear camber adjusted. My car is not lowered at all either. I told the tech I wanted to get max life I could since I can't rotate, he adjusted closer to zero camber, car still handles fine on the road for me.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did anybody look at the pictures? Those don't look like cupping to me at all, they simply just look worn on the inside. Yeah, you have too much rear camber, so they're gonna wear more on the side, and as much as the 555G2 spins everywhere, that's not great for tire wear either.

Vibration could easily be from a wheel being out of balance, due to a pothole or throwing a weight or just needing a rebalance. As mentioned, old shocks will do that. Shocks don't last forever, usually 30 to 60k miles. At 60k miles they're almost all worn out. How many miles on yours?

Road noise is just gonna be normal for a tire that worn.

Advice to check things (like alignment toe) is always good, but I they don't look cupped. Go look up some pictures of cupped tires. Yours just look worn to me. Maybe they are and the pic doesn't do it justice, but IDK man, I've seen a lot of worn tires, I've had like 10 sets on this car so far, and my eye can't see it.

OP
OP

Metz3020827

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Did anybody look at the pictures? Those don't look like cupping to me at all, they simply just look worn on the inside. Yeah, you have too much rear camber, so they're gonna wear more on the side, and as much as the 555G2 spins everywhere, that's not great for tire wear either.

Vibration could easily be from a wheel being out of balance, due to a pothole or throwing a weight or just needing a rebalance. As mentioned, old shocks will do that. Shocks don't last forever, usually 30 to 60k miles. At 60k miles they're almost all worn out. How many miles on yours?

Road noise is just gonna be normal for a tire that worn.

Advice to check things (like alignment toe) is always good, but I they don't look cupped. Go look up some pictures of cupped tires. Yours just look worn to me. Maybe they are and the pic doesn't do it justice, but IDK man, I've seen a lot of worn tires, I've had like 10 sets on this car so far, and my eye can't see it.
I wish I got pictures of the tires when they were taken off before I got new ones. They *were* certainly cupped. And they were cupped bad only on the inside edge. I couldn’t see it on the car and discount showed me the cupping once the tire was off for a rebalance. They were bad. Both sides.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I run the same tires I rotate

I have the same tires I rotate every 6 months and check alignment
The OP said he's running a staggered setup ant the tires are directional. They're not possible to rotate short of having them dismounted and remounted in the other side.
Unless you don't care that you're running directional tires backwards...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Unless you don't care that you're running directional tires backwards...
You can rotate directional square tires front to back as long as you keep them on the same side of the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Metz3020827

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You can rotate directional square tires front to back as long as you keep them on the same side of the car.
My tires aren’t squared, they’re staggered. I have 19x10 up front and 19x11 in the rear.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
My tires aren’t squared
I know, I was responding to a different post who said you can't rotate directional tires.

I suppose I should learn to quote better.
Sponsored