bolt stripped.

Braco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Gt
Hello, I recently bought a bar to install on my mustang (strut tower) I installed it myself... the problem is the bolts are stripped.
the bolts closest to the engine... I would like some guidance and information, where I can fix or change them. both sides of the car.

steeda.jpg
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Stud stripped, or nut stripped?

If itā€™s the nut, go to the hardware store and get a new one, if itā€™s the stud, you may have to tap it to smaller size and use a smaller nut.

OP
OP
Braco

Braco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Gt
is the stud... thanks for the suggestion

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Use a torque wrench. It may be that your arm has not been calibrated lately and is way off.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Youā€™re not the first to have that issue with those studs/nutsā€¦

See this thread for fix:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/information-needed-k-brace-bolt-sheared-thread.81846/

Thereā€™s other threads on here too from M6Gers who had issues with those strut bolts (as well as snapping the hood bolts too)ā€¦. Not sure what type of hardware is being used anymore in the newer vehicles where the hardware is susceptible to breakage and/or stripping so easilyā€¦. Junk hardware I guessā€¦

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
When that happened to me, on my 2016 GT they knocked out the old stud and replaced it with the same size from underneath. Lost the tac welds on the bolt though.

OP
OP
Braco

Braco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Gt
Youā€™re not the first to have that issue with those studs/nutsā€¦

See this thread for fix:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/information-needed-k-brace-bolt-sheared-thread.81846/

Thereā€™s other threads on here too from M6Gers who had issues with those strut bolts (as well as snapping the hood bolts too)ā€¦. Not sure what type of hardware is being used anymore in the newer vehicles where the hardware is susceptible to breakage and/or stripping so easilyā€¦. Junk hardware I guessā€¦
omg thankss!!! this website is awesome!

OP
OP
Braco

Braco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Gt
When that happened to me, on my 2016 GT they knocked out the old stud and replaced it with the same size from underneath. Lost the tac welds on the bolt though.
thanks... I will try to change it in a workshop

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
How bad are the threads messed up? Do they just need to be cleaned up a bit? If so, try a metric thread chaser kit that comes with various size nuts. You simply lubricate the stud and run the nut down onto it, remove the nut and youā€™re done.

This is the kit I have and Iā€˜ve used it a lot. Just make sure before you order a kit that it has the size nuts you need.

https://www.amazon.com/easchwork-Me...e45805232229cc75e049e680298&gad_source=1&th=1

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Buy some coupling nuts from McMaster so you can grab the threads that arenā€™t stripped.
I vote for this idea (so long as the OP didn't cross thread the nut, and then wind it down taking out all the threads) :like:

Alternatively and along the same lines, maybe a standoff spacer to position the OE nut on the undamaged threads ?

One side has shorter studs though - maybe not enough for either of the above suggestions ... ?

WD :like:
Sponsored