cheap grippy tires

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
looking for some "cheap" grippy tires to corner in. the car will be driven on the street as well. 700whp car. i know most people like the r888r but i just cant justify spending close to $800 for a rear set when theyll last 6k miles or less. i has ps4s tires and they corner good but they just cant keep the power down when your full throttle in lower gears. have 20 inch wheels so i know itll limit me on options butnim just looking for something thatll help my need and not spend a fortune on
What size?

What is "not a fortune" to you?

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Indy 500s for a cheap tire, they ain't bad, but I wouldn't say they're the grippiest, and they wouldn't be at the top of my list for a boosted car.

Tires are a balance between longevity and grip. Newer tires to a bit better at providing both with fewer compromises. Most street tires are too much on the longevity side of the balance to work well for 600+ horsepower on the street. On the street you also need cold grip, and that means extra soft compounds, which usually means extra fast wear.

R88R is pretty old tech for a 'grippy' tire, and its falling behind now compared to the newer 200TW tires. Its just not as fast, and hasn't been for a while. RE71RS, A052, even the Falken RT660 are stickier.

The OP was looking for a 20" tire. That limits the options. and a 20" tire which is grippy on a 3800lb car is, well, its going to be a pretty wide tire, and frankly, I think they're all pretty expensive. If I knew a grippy AND cheap one, we'd all be running it and singing it's praises from the mountain tops. Best option may be a drag racing tire designed for linear grip.

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
thank you all for the replies! i apologize things got escalated and out of control in the comments. i would be running a 305/35/20 tire and i have some nt555r2 tires already 305/45/17 with some drag wheels but they feel very spongy in the corners due to it being a drag tire i suppose. i was just going to run a track tire setup to get everything i want but i was told with track tires you want to wrap all 4 corners not just the rears which really drives up the cost. especially when you gotta replace em every 5k-7k miles. i figured it was too good to be true but i figured i would try just in case anybodies experiences led to a favorable option

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
I had to immediately replace my Firestone INDY 500 rear 325/30/19 after I installed all of my mods and were absolutely DANGEROUS. It was like driving on ice.
Are you boosted?

At 225/40/18 they hold my APR tuned GTI (~270hp at the crank with all it’s torque down low) together real well. They are getting hilariously bald as of late though.

Add another 100mm of width and good weather and I’d bet they could hold a 435 crank HP 5.0 together. Especially with our torque curve.

edit: this thread got spicy lol. I see you’re boosted. Budget summers should simply fall apart with that application.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Are you boosted?

At 225/40/18 they hold my APR tuned GTI (~270hp at the crank with all it’s torque down low) together real well. They are getting hilariously bald as of late though.

Add another 100mm of width and good weather and I’d bet they could hold a 435 crank HP 5.0 together. Especially with our torque curve.

edit: this thread got spicy lol. I see you’re boosted. Budget summers should simply fall apart with that application.
I have a whipple stage 2, 14ish lbs boost on E85. CF DS, LTH with high flow cats, GForce Outlaw axles. A10. I am now installing Steeda Dual rate springs, front camber plates and J&M Rear magneride shock mounts to give more clearance for the Toyo R888R 325/30/19 which I think are like an inch wider than my Indy 500 I removed. Full suspension mods except Diff bushings. Waiting to see if they start to fail like other people have had happen.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
was just going to run a track tire setup to get everything i want
You will never get "track tires" hot enough to actually work on the streets. There is no tire that can withstand just stomping on the gas.

So either put your day dream of fast and furious to bed, or spend money, or drive with more skill. There are no trophies in street driving. Just Darwin awards.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
thank you all for the replies! i apologize things got escalated and out of control in the comments. i would be running a 305/35/20 tire and i have some nt555r2 tires already 305/45/17 with some drag wheels but they feel very spongy in the corners due to it being a drag tire i suppose. i was just going to run a track tire setup to get everything i want but i was told with track tires you want to wrap all 4 corners not just the rears which really drives up the cost. especially when you gotta replace em every 5k-7k miles. i figured it was too good to be true but i figured i would try just in case anybodies experiences led to a favorable option
The spongy feeling is probably more because of the taller sidewalk. A 35 profile tire won’t have that same feeling.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
. I am now installing Steeda Dual rate springs,
Why? Your rear will hook even less.

Full suspension mods except Diff bushings.
So you're not allergic to spending money. You just spend it poorly. 😁
Diff mods should have gone in even before the Whipple.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
I have a whipple stage 2, 14ish lbs boost on E85. CF DS, LTH with high flow cats, GForce Outlaw axles. A10. I am now installing Steeda Dual rate springs, front camber plates and J&M Rear magneride shock mounts to give more clearance for the Toyo R888R 325/30/19 which I think are like an inch wider than my Indy 500 I removed. Full suspension mods except Diff bushings. Waiting to see if they start to fail like other people have had happen.
Yeah you’re blasting most summer tires to bits lol. Us N/A guys can probably hold it together pretty well with the Indy.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Yeah you’re blasting most summer tires to bits lol. Us N/A guys can probably hold it together pretty well with the Indy.
Well if you had 325/30/19 rear tires I would give my old ones with 1800 miles on them. But I cannot give tires to someone who plans to resale.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Why? Your rear will hook even less.

So you're not allergic to spending money. You just spend it poorly. 😁
Diff mods should have gone in even before the Whipple.
I'm not seeing issues created by the stock diff bushings. I am doing steeda dual rate springs to tighten up the sway/roll movvment during WOT throttle and hard braking. As far as.spending money, I spend accordingly to match my needs/mods. Plus the old saying goes, when you spend your money, do so on things you want, i will do the same. That's the freedom of choice

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
You will never get "track tires" hot enough to actually work on the streets. There is no tire that can withstand just stomping on the gas.

So either put your day dream of fast and furious to bed, or spend money, or drive with more skill. There are no trophies in street driving. Just Darwin awards.
first part of your reply totally valid and makes sense. second part, theres no reason why you have to be a fuckin dick about it; leave those comments to yourself. clearly im asking for peoples experiences and leave it at that. no need to stir the pot with drama thats not what i was asking nor looking for. thank you

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
Well if you had 325/30/19 rear tires I would give my old ones with 1800 miles on them. But I cannot give tires to someone who plans to resale.
I run those and would take them!