Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
There's something to be said for driving a slow car fast--if it's the right car. My father in law has an 84 911 Carrera and that thing is completely gutless and is just a downright chore to drive in all aspects. Loud, manual steering, terrible transmission. He paid over $90k for it and the only thing I will say about it is that it's comfortable to ride in. The IRS is really compliant and obviously every single person on the road looks at you. Can't say that for any Mustang made from 1974-present.
Interesting as the Midyear 911's are one of the most dynamic and authentic driving experiences out there. Gutless? 0-60 in the mid 5's in a N/A car in 1984 is no slouch.

I will say shifting takes finesse and skill (probably why I think the Getrag in the Mustang is fine), and the engine noise is loud, but is is one of the finest authentic driving experiences. Your FIL needs to take that car to a solid P car professional, get the suspension dialed in, check the shift rod bushings, and give a tuneup/set timing, etc.....

Not to poke you in the eye, but you lost me at 'Comfortable ride" lol. Stock 911's are very go cart like. I rebuilt my car and when I did the suspension swapped out the pressed rubber suspension pivot bushings that twist with suspension articulation, and replaced them with free moving stainless sleeves and deralin/poly pushings. The car is about as comfortable as my old M3, and lightyears from what it was before the swap. The IRS with torsion bars (front and rear) are impressive but compliant? not so much. lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my 135i Convertible. It was very quick, rode well and handled great... Very tossable.

IMG_0151.JPG

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a smidgen older than the OP but I'm looking to buy a 2018-ish M3 for track duty myself. Even though I swore off track driving last year. I just can't quit you!
If you don't plan to put stupid 700 hp or so hybrid turbos on it just don't bother with the M3. Stock M3's are slower than my modded Mustang on my local track. Only things faster are M2/M4's with a lot of mods. S550 is amazing track car.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
It's very likely that you have at least one local track within driving distance, no matter what state you're in.
I would have to look deeper, but the road course I know of, is a few states away. I have not researched this, but the only one I know of it the GLEN.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Interesting as the Midyear 911's are one of the most dynamic and authentic driving experiences out there. Gutless? 0-60 in the mid 5's in a N/A car in 1984 is no slouch.

I will say shifting takes finesse and skill (probably why I think the Getrag in the Mustang is fine), and the engine noise is loud, but is is one of the finest authentic driving experiences. Your FIL needs to take that car to a solid P car professional, get the suspension dialed in, check the shift rod bushings, and give a tuneup/set timing, etc.....

Not to poke you in the eye, but you lost me at 'Comfortable ride" lol. Stock 911's are very go cart like. I rebuilt my car and when I did the suspension swapped out the pressed rubber suspension pivot bushings that twist with suspension articulation, and replaced them with free moving stainless sleeves and deralin/poly pushings. The car is about as comfortable as my old M3, and lightyears from what it was before the swap. The IRS with torsion bars (front and rear) are impressive but compliant? not so much. lol
Problem with old 911's is unless you had come from owning a beetle that you hopped up, you did not have the seat time to have faith in driving the 911 hard with all that weight hanging past the rear axle center line. Only made worse now that collectors have made the value so high.
I have to go with Clarkson with this, they are squashed beetle.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I would have to look deeper, but the road course I know of, is a few states away. I have not researched this, but the only one I know of it the GLEN.
Which state are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
You might want to check out Lime Rock Raceway, Palmer Motorsports park, Club Motorsports. Across the border you have absolutely beautiful Circuit Mont-Tremblant and very technical Calabogie track. Oh and the Glen is just heaven on earth 🤪

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
I have a 2021 auto GT - I used to have a 2015 manual GT - I have had a few 4.6 Thunderbirds, a 2001 Focus with a five speed and a zetec....and I almost bought an ecoboost when I bought my 21 GT

I like the GT, I am glad I don't have an ecoboost, but then again, 460 HP is too much for the street, as in, you are at "get arrested" speeding levels very, very, very quickly. Ecoboost has more of a usable range of power - My 2001 Focus, my 18 and 19 1.5 Escape - all three of those were SLOW SLOW not fast at all, but you could total wring it out, and you were going ~70

So, yeah...

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Problem with old 911's is unless you had come from owning a beetle that you hopped up, you did not have the seat time to have faith in driving the 911 hard with all that weight hanging past the rear axle center line. Only made worse now that collectors have made the value so high.
I'm with you. I like the last air-cooled 911 from the 90s. But, the older ones were just expensive Beetles. Maybe it's because I'm old, but I love the 991 and 997.2 models... lots more creature comforts and much more refined driving dynamics and tons of power.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Rather than getting rid of the Bullet, I'd do some tasteful mods to enhance the driving experience.

Steeda IRS (Stop The Hop) and front G-trac stuff, the Ford Performance Magneride Handling Pack.

I'd bet you'll find new levels of appreciation on simple twisty roads, without having to do 153MPH.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Some of the first mods I did to my '15 were lowering springs (BMR SP080), BMR cradle lockout, and lightweight 19x10/19x11" wheels with MPSS tires.

I did it all in a weekend so I had a good taste of before and after, a night and day difference in handling.

Still, these things are tanks, and realistically overpowered at that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you. I like the last air-cooled 911 from the 90s. But, the older ones were just expensive Beetles. Maybe it's because I'm old, but I love the 991 and 997.2 models... lots more creature comforts and much more refined driving dynamics and tons of power.
:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:
Sponsored