XPEL, 3M, Other PPF, NO PPF, CQuartz???

How will you be protecting your GT350?

• XPEL PPF

Votes: 95 46.3%
  • 3M PPF

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other PPF

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • No PPF (Natural paint - protected with traditional wax or polymer)

Votes: 49 23.9%
  • CQuartz or other ceramic type paint sealants (please specify)

Votes: 49 23.9%

• Total voters

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
So,

Yes, there are topics on the forum, and I read a few of them, but lets make this fun with a poll.

I have a 2017 GT350R - Lightning Blue w/white OTT stripes coming soon and I'm contemplating this PPF (paint protection film) option.

I have never done it on my cars before, and I'm hesitant on the R for a few reasons, stripes cause complications, paint differences (if I only do the mirrors -- forward), if it ever needs to be replaced, it's most likely gonna rip the stripes clean off the car.

So we have this "original" paint left over which may or may not be a different shade than the rest of the car with no stripes left on the hood, cause they got ripped off with the film.

Now, I also obviously understand the benefits, and I just want to know what other users think about the PPF route vs no PPF. And I'm throwing C Quartz in there for fun.

Please answer the poll too, and if you say PPF or no PPF, it would be great if you could say why you went or are going that route :)

Thanks!

Rob
Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
i got hexis done on mine

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I had a particularly bad experience with wrap on my GT350R. I'm having it redone and plan on only the front clip ahead of the windshield, the rocker panels, and the rear quarters behind the wheels.

The better films have their own pros and cons. XPEL has more orange peel than Suntek, but it's more durable. 3M VentureShield is widely regarded as shit, but the Scotchguard Pro is supposed to be great.

Find a good installer. Talk to them. ASK IF THEY OUTSURCE, AND TO WHOM (this could get you, as it did me). Look at their work.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Sun Tek PPF-C with a ceramic coating on top.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I have never done it on my cars before, and I'm hesitant on the R for a few reasons, stripes cause complications, paint differences (if I only do the mirrors -- forward), if it ever needs to be replaced, it's most likely gonna rip the stripes clean off the car.

So we have this "original" paint left over which may or may not be a different shade than the rest of the car with no stripes left on the hood, cause they got ripped off with the film
That's why Xpel's patterns include one that goes around the stripes: http://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...cks/2016/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby_GT350R/.

I'd also suggest covering the door bottoms and the rear impact areas (in front of the wheels). Those areas take a lot of hits. Check the splash patterns on the LB car in the first post here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51567&highlight=Lightning+blue.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
XPel hands down. Looks invisible from 2 feet even on a black car. Protection is far better than ceramic coating.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
XPel hands down. Looks invisible from 2 feet even on a black car. Protection is far better than ceramic coating.
I agree that no coating will ever protect as well as a PPF.

Saying "XPel hands down" is a personal opinion. SunTek gets better reviews from what I have read. My installer would not make a recommendation. It's not really the film you chose, it's 95% the installer. The best film is horrible if installed badly. Most installers have also moved away from any 3M products.

Mine is invisible from 3" away with no orange peel. My car is not black though.:cheers:

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am so nervous about using the methods mentioned here. I know the factory paint is not great and of course I want to look after it but I don't really feel confident going to get any of them done as I am not familiar with any local companies and I also don't know if there are any long term negatives with any of the options?

I guess I have read horror stories from people that did research and even trusted in a local company and they still got a bad job. Am I stupid for just leaving the paint as normal apart from the weekly/bi-weekly wax???

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Just be aware when they remove the film in the future, it will most likely take off your stripes with it. I ended up just driving careful, staying a safe distance from the car ahead of me.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I've used both Xpel and Sunteck and in a nutshell Suntek looks better and would be fine for a road car. For track duty the heavier Xpel is the way to go. My Black no stripe GT350 will be getting Xpel.

Peter

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Am I stupid for just leaving the paint as normal apart from the weekly/bi-weekly wax???
Not if you can live with all the chips on the front and sides of your car. Go to the Xpel and Suntek websites and look for factory-authorized and trained companies in your area. Then visit those companies, take a tour of their work areas and ask for the names of customers you can call.

I was pretty apprehensive when I had my first car protected 7 or 8 years ago. Now I would never have a new car without the film. I've seen the financial benefits at trade-in time too.

DarkL1ghtn1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'm interested in this topic. I did PPF on my SHO and while it looks OK, I am concerned about doing this with stripes on the car I have coming.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I'm interested in this topic. I did PPF on my SHO and while it looks OK, I am concerned about doing this with stripes on the car I have coming.
My installer told me I would see a small line next to the stripes since the stripes are applied over the paint. I really only notice from about 3" away.

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
I've been in Calgary for the last 2 weeks, but while i was away i had the car done with Xpel ppf and 22ple sealant, as far as i can tell it turned out pretty good. The pic i took was to show a small imperfection on the sealant that's going to be corrected, but everywhere else on the car it looks great. There is a little dust on the surface which i have not washed off.
20160822_171640 (2).jpg

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I am so nervous about using the methods mentioned here. I know the factory paint is not great and of course I want to look after it but I don't really feel confident going to get any of them done as I am not familiar with any local companies and I also don't know if there are any long term negatives with any of the options?

I guess I have read horror stories from people that did research and even trusted in a local company and they still got a bad job. Am I stupid for just leaving the paint as normal apart from the weekly/bi-weekly wax???
Ya, exactly why I posted. I'm in the same boat as you. Seems like spending 4-5k on a film is a no brainer. But it will remove the original stripes and the paint under the film will look different over the years....so is it fine just to have normal wear and tear on the paint and like said above, just drive at a safe distance. ...I dunno, I'm still undecided. That said, XPEL is winning, by about double the votes.

QUESTION:
Ceramic stuff like C Quartz...will it make the clearcoat stronger than say something like Zaino? I don't mean stronger like a PPF. I guess the question is, do I get C Quartz so I don't have to apply Zaino once a year?? Zaino a car takes me like 30mins.

R
Sponsored