Sponsored

X Pipe Installed Incorrectly??

Steve44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP
I bought a FRPP X Pipe for my GT...went to a local exhaust shop yesterday to get it put on. The shop was super friendly, efficient, and they were highly rated on both Yelp and Angie's List. When I brought the car home, I took a look at their work and was surprised to see that they didn't use the supplied clamps for the Ford X Pipe. From what I understand, after the two cuts are made, the supplied clamps are to be used. Instead, they welded the x pipe to the exhaust and didn't use the clamps. The work looks really clean, the sound is awesome...but is there anything I should be concerned about? FWIW, I don't plan on putting an after market exhaust on my car, the X Pipe sound is perfect for my needs.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Nope, no reason to worry. Mine is welded in, too.

As long as it looks good and they did it correctly, you are good to go.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Welding will make for a better leak free connection but should you ever want to remove it for something makes it a PITA.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
Before the world of "bolt on" modifications, damn near all exhausts were welded, and most any car that is built by anyone who knows what the hell they are doing will be fully welded. the clamps are simple a way for people to do it in a garage with a sawzall and a socket set, larger customer base, more $ for manufacturers. you should be glad that its welded because it makes for far less potential issues down the road.

DrEverettScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP - Magnetic
I bought a FRPP X Pipe for my GT...went to a local exhaust shop yesterday to get it put on. The shop was super friendly, efficient, and they were highly rated on both Yelp and Angie's List. When I brought the car home, I took a look at their work and was surprised to see that they didn't use the supplied clamps for the Ford X Pipe. From what I understand, after the two cuts are made, the supplied clamps are to be used. Instead, they welded the x pipe to the exhaust and didn't use the clamps. The work looks really clean, the sound is awesome...but is there anything I should be concerned about? FWIW, I don't plan on putting an after market exhaust on my car, the X Pipe sound is perfect for my needs.
How much did they charge you to weld it in/install? I'm looking to do the same. Cheers

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Shoot I had some suspension stuff done in Pompano [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION]'s place and the the tech was nice enough to spot weld in my cat-back and trim the clamps just because it bugged him.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Shoot I had some suspension stuff done in Pompano [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION]'s place and the the tech was nice enough to spot weld in my cat-back and trim the clamps just because it bugged him.
That's Matt for ya! :cheers:

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
How much did they charge you to weld it in/install? I'm looking to do the same. Cheers
I had a H pipe made from scratch and then the guy welded it in. Out the door was just under $100.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
OP, just a friendly reminder to be on the lookout for possible cracking issues with your X pipe as others have had problems as posted by fellow forum members.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
With these types of mid pipe replacements, you want at least a tack weld backing up the clamps and keeping the mufflers from rotating and drooping on you.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Clamps are for DIY shadetree mechanics, a decent muffler shop will weld your pipes and never use a clamp.
Sponsored