Wrench Dash Light

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Today, an indicator/warning light popped up in the center display. It was shaped like a wrench. The Mustang owner manual and GT350 supplement did not refer to what this indicator was. Car ran fine and there were no odd sounds (just the typical chatty transmission sound). The light went away once I parked and restarted the car. Now I'm curious.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Found this online from a Ford Tech:

Thats a warning indicator to the driver that there is a fault in the power train control system and the vehicle has gone into limp home operation or a problem with the transmission has been detected and the shifting may be restricted.

That light comes on when the power train control module sees a sensor or component that is out of the set range that is programed into the module, the PCM is continuously monitoring the sensors on the engine, exhaust and the transmission and if it sees a sensor out of range for 1 drive cycle it will turn on the wrench light, if it sees it for 3 drive cycles it will turn on the check engine light, what may have happened is it seen something it didn't like and then on the next drive cycle it was within range and turned the wrench back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poisyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tree Fiddy
My '11 GT would go into limp mode if I was coasting too fast to a stop, too much air would get in through the grille and CAI and it'd confuse the MAF apparently

OP
OP
MastrHU

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I've read on a couple of forums about the indicator. Problems seems to range from TPS to transmission sensor issues. It hasn't come back, so I'm think a sensor didn't agree with an initial reading for whatever reason. The car never went into limp mode or atleast it didn't feel that way. Still think it's odd that this warning light is not in the manuals.

sher-bant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Got the car Saturday. My 2017 350 just rolled its 200th mile. Its brand new, zero mods.

I cant imagine anything is wrong with it...??? But I'm getting the dreaded, wrench light "SEE MANUAL". I did a search and there are quite a few threads on the topic, but I didn't see any answers other that "see a dealer".
Is that still the best answer?

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
scan the ecu and it will tell you all!

sher-bant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thx.

I don't know how to, lol.
I'm a "buy the car, pay for service" kind of guy.

I'm going to assume there's nothing too serious going on. I'll get it to a local Ford dealer within the next couple of days.

I appreciate the advise.

I am looking to do some upgrades soon. Would you recommend exhaust first? What exactly would you suggest? Max hp, top of the line stuff???

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
Not sure if it helps, but this just happened to me about 50 miles after an oil change on my Fiesta ST. The issue was the tech forgot to reset the oil life counter when he finished with the change. Maybe since it's brand new it is just diagnostic related and nothing serious.
Sponsored