Would you buy a GT350R again?

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I had my 2016 Tech Pack for two years. At the time of purchase, it was the only GT350 I could find in my area. From the beginning of my "GT350 awareness", I wanted an R because of the hype in magazines, TV and YouTube (remember, the R was R&T's 2016 Performance Car of the Year). The Tech Pack was a great car, but I immediately found myself adding R bits (steering wheel, front splitter, 6GR wheels, Forescan changing the display screen color to red, etc), but it still wasn't an R. Then I found a used R for a great deal and jumped all over the opportunity. I had to drive 6 hours to make the swap, so I had the oppportunity to compare the two back-to-back after a long drive. The R is a different animal. Tighter, crisper...more fun/challenging (I didn't like the tramlining of the Cup 2s, so they were immediately replaced with PS4Ss..tramlining gone). The R's rarity is a bonus.
Definitely wait for/seek out an R. If you really want an R, but get a non-R, you'll just keep looking for an R, or spend too much money to "modify" it. I did. I haven't regretted the exchange...not once.
If you have reservations about buying used/want the Track Attack opportunity, then you're gonna pay over sticker. It's the price of admission. If you don't care about buying a car someone else broke-in, make sure you look over it closely; especially make sure the CF wheels haven't been replace by aluminium look-a-likes. The warranty will cover everything else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
^Well said.

I'm a bit "deflated" after getting the news that the 2018 R allocation I paid a deposit on wasn't a real order in the system. Since then, I have found other deals (not msrp) so I am still not out of luck on the purchase.

The frustration of the buying process has me reconsidering/ cross shopping. I'm just not as enthusiastic as I was, and have fallen into a "paradox of choice." First world problems, for sure.

Did you seriously cross-shop with other models?

Would you buy another R again?

Thanks!

-Spencer
Cross shopping is fine... many of us non-Ford-only enthusiasts have done that. But honestly the R is special and I have owned/own many different brands... it's that unique & special. To sum it up, it's literally one of the few 100% totally FUN to drive street cars on & off the track. The stock sound alone is simply amazing and unparalleled... here's a short clip of me recording a friend's R yesterday from my GT3. Gotta love that R look & sound... don't give up that quick!

[ame]

VNMSNK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Only echoing the sentiment here, I purchased a 2016 tech pack car early after the Track Tour experience at Sebring in October 2015. I wanted an R and settled for what I could find(I don't have the patience to order a car and wait for it). I still wanted the elusive R model for whatever reason you can think of. I had the tech pack for 18 months before an opportunity to purchase an R finally materialized. I can't even remember how many cars I made offers on before buying mine. The small ADM I paid was worth it to me for the pleasure of having it in my garage to drive when I want. The R to non-R for me was a day/night comparison since I spent so much time with the 2016. This is a special car and I would definitely buy one again if something happened to mine. After 2020 arrives, a certain other model may attract my attention. Time will tell.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Would I buy a GT350 R again?

I would, 110%.

The only thing I would change is waiting/ being more patient for the color that I wanted AND not paying as large of an ADM (October 2016). At the time I bought mine, it was the best deal I could find and there was no confirmation of 2018's being built (or that 1k 2017's were coming). I didn't care about the collect-ability, but I didn't want to miss out on owning the car.

My R is used primarily for the track and doesn't get much street miles (even with aftermarket wheels / tires). For me, the looks and visual cues over the standard GT350 are worth the price of admission - CF wheels, spoiler, red calipers / badges, etc.

If the car spent more time on the street, I think I'd be okay with the base car (with some aftermarket wheels). I know myself, and if I purchased the base GT350, I would have been searching for a R anyway... buy once, cry once.

I do like the white and blue stripes, but I really want/ed Avalanche w/ white stripes.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Would I buy a GT350 R again?

I would, 110%.

The only thing I would change is waiting/ being more patient for the color that I wanted ... I really want/ed Avalanche w/ white stripes.
:amen: ... but black stripes for me

Sponsored

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I love mine but I wouldn't buy a second one. I'm sure it has to do w/ the giant ADM I paid on mine, but w/ a bigger budget and more cars out there to choose from, it just doesn't make sense.

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
I’ve had a regular 350 and an R. The R is worth the cost. I would do it again without hesitation

Skillman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
I bought my first R over a year ago and am still in love with the car. I prefer to drive it over 997.2 GT3 RS. It's an amazing car, an instant classic. I still want an Avalanche Gray and Grabber Blue cars.

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’ve had a regular 350 and an R. The R is worth the cost. I would do it again without hesitation
This is good info as I'm thinking about selling my normal 350 right now and going to an R....so even selling mine used and buying a slightly used R around market value, do we all think it's worth the $20-25k delta? I drive mine all the damn time and part of me just wants the craziest one (and put in the backseat)...but for people that had both...do you all still think its worth the difference?

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
This is good info as I'm thinking about selling my normal 350 right now and going to an R....so even selling mine used and buying a slightly used R around market value, do we all think it's worth the $20-25k delta? I drive mine all the damn time and part of me just wants the craziest one (and put in the backseat)...but for people that had both...do you all still think its worth the difference?
I had a track pack and now have an R. On paper the R may not seem much different, but once you drive it you'll notice a difference. If you can get one for MSRP or a slight ADM then it's definitely worth the price.

Sponsored

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had a track pack and now have an R. On paper the R may not seem much different, but once you drive it you'll notice a difference. If you can get one for MSRP or a slight ADM then it's definitely worth the price.
perfect...thanks.

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
I drove many standard 350's then the R. I would definetly buy the R again and choose the same base configuration.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I think you can find a new 17 or 18 R for $5K over sticker or less if you search and are willing to travel. I can't think of a better new car for the money for my purposes than the R.

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think you can find a new 17 or 18 R for $5K over sticker or less if you search and are willing to travel. I can't think of a better new car for the money for my purposes than the R.
Thanks again for all the input everyone. I'm only wanting avalanche, but there are a few out there.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I paid a $19,200 delta after "taking it in the shorts" with my '16 Tech Pack trade-in. Would do it again, and again, and again...it's only money. In my opinion, the investment-to-return ratio is heavy in the favor of return.
Sponsored