Sponsored

Will earlier Gen Coyote block work with Gen 3 heads ?

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Oh yea that makes sense. But yea that should work fine then.

My bad.
Sponsored

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Why ?
Won’t physically fit ?
Well I am going to see . Nothing to lose really .
Already have the short block and will need the heads for a long block build even if I end up with a Gen 3 short block

Did you ever put this together and see what head gasket to use?

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Did you ever put this together and see what head gasket to use?
No , I ended up getting brand new Gen 3 heads to build a long block with a 5.2 short block with the 6 knock sensor bosses .

I just scored a cheap used pair of Gen 3 heads to complete another predator(12:1) short block but will also see if they fit the sleeved Gen 2 short block(2 knock sensor bosses) I had originally considering using .

I used predator head gaskets in the 5.2 long block already built but may try the thicker Gen 3 head gaskets in the second one .
I will see if they will fit the sleeved Gen 2 block (also a 5.2) .

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
No , I ended up getting brand new Gen 3 heads to build a long block with a 5.2 short block with the 6 knock sensor bosses .
This is what I'd like to find the correct gasket for. Gen 3 Coyote heads on a Gen 3 5.2 block. I'm assuming that Gen 3 Coyote gaskets are needed but the bore space for those is 94.5mm where the 5.2 gaskets are 95mm. I worry that the the gaskets may me slightly mis-aligned and be in the combustion chamber if the bore is too small.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
This is what I'd like to find the correct gasket for. Gen 3 Coyote heads on a Gen 3 5.2 block. I'm assuming that Gen 3 Coyote gaskets are needed but the bore space for those is 94.5mm where the 5.2 gaskets are 95mm. I worry that the the gaskets may me slightly mis-aligned and be in the combustion chamber if the bore is too small.
You can use either the Voodoo or Predator gaskets.

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
A borescope would be handy here.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/Coyote Technical Reference2.pdf

Strange it says all the timing train is same but I thought the 2018 TG is now forged? Thought there might be some other chain tweaks and phaser stuff. hmmm

Also, regarding the knock sensor bosses/mounting points: the ECU may get confused if the DSP filter for Gen2 tries to function with a Gen3 that doesn't have provisions to mount Gen2 style locations? or vice versa.
Not sure, but had to be a reason for changing the sensor setup...

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost

Strange it says all the timing train is same but I thought the 2018 TG is now forged? Thought there might be some other chain tweaks and phaser stuff. hmmm

Also, regarding the knock sensor bosses/mounting points: the ECU may get confused if the DSP filter for Gen2 tries to function with a Gen3 that doesn't have provisions to mount Gen2 style locations? or vice versa.
The 2018 CS is forged, the exhaust phaser is different from gen2.
The gen3 block retains the gen2 knock sensor mounts in their gen2 locations.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

There are no issues using a Gen 3(5.0 or 5.2) block with Gen 2 heads in 2015-2017 ‘s . As said above just use the 2 knock sensors in the same position as a Gen 2 block .
just ask @80FoxCoupe . Lol

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
There are no issues using a Gen 3(5.0 or 5.2) block with Gen 2 heads in 2015-2017 ‘s . As said above just use the 2 knock sensors in the same position as a Gen 2 block .
just ask @80FoxCoupe . Lol
Yep all good
Sponsored