Sponsored

Why so few aftermarket wheel options?

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Title of the thread says it all....looking for perspective and options as I'm in the market to purchase a set of new wheels for my GT350. I was never a big fan of the look of the stock wheels. Don't get me wrong, they don't suck :), however I'm looking for a different look and running into walls. TireRack = nothing. DiscountTire = nothing. American Muscle = nothing. I'm leaning towards the PROJECT 6GR wheels but wanted to exhaust all options before pulling the trigger. Thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Sponsored

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
There are options, there are several manufacturers that will make wheels made to order with our wheel specs. they are pricey with the lowest I have found are in the $3k range, with a weight of approx. 22lbs. I will replace my wheels as soon as I can as I cant handle driving with 31lb boat anchors on my car.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Title of the thread says it all....looking for perspective and options as I'm in the market to purchase a set of new wheels for my GT350. I was never a big fan of the look of the stock wheels. Don't get me wrong, they don't suck :), however I'm looking for a different look and running into walls. TireRack = nothing. DiscountTire = nothing. American Muscle = nothing. I'm leaning towards the PROJECT 6GR wheels but wanted to exhaust all options before pulling the trigger. Thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all.
The offset are unusual for such a wide wheel. The rears are unusually high

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
You should check in w/DrumReaper, think he has gone through a lot of wheels and different stud/bolt configurations and still searching.

There are a lot of posts / other topics going over this, good luck! ;)

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
And what do you intend to do with the car is the first question you need to answer. Track the car or just a driver with some occasional autocross are two different answers on wheel selection.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
And what do you intend to do with the car is the first question you need to answer. Track the car or just a driver with some occasional autocross are two different answers on wheel selection.
Great question and I should have included this in my original post. I have zero intention of tracking the car. The change in wheels would be purely aesthetic.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The offset are unusual for such a wide wheel. The rears are unusually high
The fronts are worse than the rears. The rears are easy. The fronts? Who in their right mind makes a 24+ 10.5" or 11" wheel??? That's so derp. But I do like it. :D

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For any manufacturer that produces Forged, custom made to order wheels, this is an easy task as long as the company in question has all the data they require to make a set of wheels (for example we use 3D scanners to scan the vehicle's fender wells to get a proper fitment to the exact specifications we require). Once that information is taken it, it's just a matter of programming the fitment into our machines and we're done, pretty easy process.

For other manufacturing styles that are not custom made to order, it usually involves purchasing a new mold for the wheel in the proper size and offset, which is achieved AFTER receiving the fitment information from their data. Once the quite expensive mold is purchased, the mold has to be made. Once the mold is made, wheels need to be made, and production can take quite a while. Once you have the quantity of wheels you want, some companies may put them in a container, put them on a boat and send them to the US and that boat trip can take a while too. Once the boat arrives at customs, that's another process which COULD take quite a while depending on if the containers are physically searched at the port or not. Once it's cleared, then it's off and out in the world. The whole process can take a significant amount of time, so this is likely the reason why you're not seeing a ton of options.

With that said, for the GT350 and GT350 R, there are officially 50+ wheel styles that we produce which is applicable to the GT350 and GT350R (basically excludes any SUV/Truck wheel models).

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
They're more expensive than the brands you listed but I really like Forgeline wheels. They look great and were the wheel used in the GT350R-C and new Mustang GT4 racecars.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Consumers drive the market. All companies focus their efforts where the money is, or make fitments that will be able to fit the most cars. The GT350 has specific fitments given the brakes and fenders. If owners aren't out buying aftermarket wheels then companies won't produce them. They also need owners to provide them with the fitment data to make the wheel and a vehicle to test it on. Once manufacturers see there is a market, more GT350 specific fitments will be made.

Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
They're more expensive than the brands you listed but I really like Forgeline wheels. They look great and were the wheel used in the GT350R-C and new Mustang GT4 racecars.
I thought that the GT350R-C used BBS?

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There are options, there are several manufacturers that will make wheels made to order with our wheel specs. they are pricey with the lowest I have found are in the $3k range, with a weight of approx. 22lbs. I will replace my wheels as soon as I can as I cant handle driving with 31lb boat anchors on my car.
That's not pricey at all for 22 lbs. Can you give me the info please? The cheapest I found was 6k for 20.5 lbs.

Stock OEM BMW wheels that weigh 28 lbs cost $4000 a set. And this is a cheap-o "CAST" wheel not even forged.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That's not pricey at all for 22 lbs. Can you give me the info please? The cheapest I found was 6k for 20.5 lbs.

Stock OEM BMW wheels that weigh 28 lbs cost $4000 a set. And this is a cheap-o "CAST" wheel not even forged.
My 16 M3 20" comp pack wheels weighed 26lbs and I thought that was heavy. 31lbs is ridiculous.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Multimatic runs the BBS wheels but C360 racing running the GT350R-C utilizes the Forgeline GA1R's. The black/orange car was totaled at Road America.
They rebuilt the black/orange car. Yes Multimatic ran the BBS wheels but all of the new Multimatic-built Ford Mustang 2017 GT4-spec cars are using Forgelines:

29265aba4710a22f403018c588957007.jpg

...and if you go way back to the spy photos of the original GT350 running around Nurburgring, you can see them using 3-pc Forgelines on the test mules.
Sponsored