Sponsored

Why doesn't Ford use the 3.5l twin turbo in the Mustang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I have to agree. The death of the big(er) liter V8 is coming. We have likely the last generation of the V8 mustangs.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Well with all the people who talked crap about the v6 over the years, the v6 being discontinued should be good news for you. Just hope it doesnt disrupt revenue, your volume seller is now a 4cyl.
Honestly. Pre Cyclone, I can understand, but I never understand the 3.7 slander.

A 3.5TT puts the Mustang in a whole new performance market. If people thought flashing a Ecoboost 4 was "flip the switch" power, imagine what tuners can do to the 3.5TT in a lighter Mustang than the S550 with IRS.

I love the idea of companies sticking to their roots. I referenced Porsche in an earlier post. Slapping a turbo on the C2 and C2S is sacrilege to me. I agree that a Mustang should always have a V8 option. But the market and regulators wreck havoc for automakers when they plan out future product lines for such valuable models like the Mustang. It's quite the toss up imo.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
rather have a 4.0 V8 TT in a stang not a 3.5V V6TT

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
In regard to taking a V8 out of the lineup, the big three are watching each other and nobody has flinched yet. Whoever goes first is certainly going to take a hit in sales for a time, because there will be a segment of buyers who want the V8 no matter what. Maybe some day when millenials are buying all the cars it will happen, but for those of us older buyers we have certain expectations. Once you go V8 you never want to go back, lol.
This. It will happen eventually, but no one wants to be the first to do it.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Since I'm not saddled with "V8 only Mustang" baggage, I'll be the first in line to trade in my turbo 4 for the turbo 6.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
This. It will happen eventually, but no one wants to be the first to do it.
I think we will see Ford do it first. The GT motor is a great start to it all.

Sponsored

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
rather have a 4.0 V8 TT in a stang not a 3.5V V6TT
I'd be totally fine with the 3.5EB in the Mustang, but I think this is the long term answer.

Like BMW and Mercedes and McLaren, develop a small displacement TT V8 and put it in all the performance cars. This is probably what they should have done with the Ford GT and Raptor, then people wouldn't be bitching so much (although they are both selling out fast, soooo...)

I think it'd be killer to see a 4.0-4.4L TT V8 and Ford can put it in basically any high end Mustang or Truck or SUV, including the performance cars. Like BMW does with the X5 5.0 and 550/650 cars. Then jack up the boost and internals for the GT500/Raptor/GT like McLaren does with their 3.8L.

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Because it would rule to hard ! Haha. I know the V8 guys don't want to hear it, but lighter and turbo is way to go. Yes you can supercharge a 5.0 or twin turbo it and its very very fast in a straight line and on the freeway yes and at that point you have a really expensive car and then your adding 8-10k more just into the motor. Im talking about more balanced well rounded car 3.5 v6 or 4.0 v8 tt would be crazy just as shown in the ford race cars. Just a tune and the tq would be insane.

The 5.0 has been the staple of the mustang though and coyote is great engine, so we shall see.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I think we will see Ford do it first. The GT motor is a great start to it all.
Exactly- a halo car racing at LeMans with the "same" engine will remove about 90% of the resistance to move to the TT V6.

shadowsong6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang v6
Considering the 3.5TT is within ~10 lbs of the 5.0, weight is not a valid argument. imo
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.