Sponsored

Why doesn't Ford Put a catch can on DI motors?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Because people are dumb and or Forgetful like me and I am a Car Guy!

I changed my oil around 4 months and 5000 Kms ago. In that time I have been busy with a new project at work, new house and life in general. 3 months ago was still relatively warm too and after 1000 kms I emptied my catch can and there was barely anything in it.

My car has been Flawless, I have not needed to lift the bonnet a single time since the oil change, no lights, no strange noises, not a single hiccup on multiple full throttle, 24 psi of boost, trips to 250+ kph. It was too good.

Today at lunch I realized how long it has been and checked it out. :eyebulge:
20161221_135329.jpg
20161221_135353.jpg
20161221_135359.jpg
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So the oil that ends up in my catch can does NOT look like that - it's much darker.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Notice how much oil and water are in that and how high it was, It was over the baffle plate in the Mishimoto Can, I was problably a good sharp turn or bump from sucking in a nice glob of crap into the engine. I will be taking that to our local auto shop to dispose of properly with the waste oil. which brings me to the point, if ford did install one into all cars, some idiot who doesn't remember how long the oil light has been shining won't empty it and destroy the motor. The other idiot will just dump it down the sewer or drain. gunking up the valves is the lesser of the three evils.

At the bottom is that same nasty gunk I found last winter.
For those that don't think a catch can is necessary, all that crap has already gone into your engine and is coating your intake manifold and back of your valves:headbonk:
20161221_135506.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
So the oil that ends up in my catch can does NOT look like that - it's much darker.
I do alot of short trips, in very cold and very damp weather, so that's mostly water condensation which will mostly boil off if the engine is kept at operating temp for a longer period of time. In the Summer it is far less and darker with more of a fuel smell.
tmp_17656-20160828_151205-666022953.jpg

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't think its gonna destroy the engine for being too full. I mean after all, the oil is sucked into the intake anyway without it.
Would be nice to have a bypass mechanism or something but I guess that's what the filter is for so when it gets too full, it does not just get sucked back into the intake in large quantities.
On stock tune, the oil vapor won't really cause any effects.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I don't think its gonna destroy the engine for being too full. I mean after all, the oil is sucked into the intake anyway without it.
Would be nice to have a bypass mechanism or something but I guess that's what the filter is for so when it gets too full, it does not just get sucked back into the intake in large quantities.
On stock tune, the oil vapor won't really cause any effects.
Remember that withou a catch can the engine invests this a little a time as it's created. A full CC can lead to a solid slug of oil and water entering all at once. If a signifant amount goes into one cylinder? Look up hydrolock. No bueno.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Because it's not oil, its waste vapors condensing in a catch can that was meant to be burned off during the combustion phase.

Visual checks from some DMV's will actually fail you for it because people dump the waste product that collects in the can ill-properly. They will also assume that the system is no longer a closed system. Even though they are not vented, you cannot reason with the DMV/DEP/EPA on mechanics. Will they spot it under your hood? Probably not. But for a car manufacturer it would be illegal to provide.

This is why they do not add them to stock cars.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Colder climates get more of a milky/water mix because of the condensation that builds up in the engine and in the can itself. Darker oil is usually in warmer climates.

The reason there aren't catch cans from the factory is because it would violate many EPA regulations. Containing fuel, and oil outside of the engine/fuel tank is frowned upon. Plus if you collect it like this it can't be circulated back into the oil as it will create more h2o content in the oil and break it down faster.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Colder climates get more of a milky/water mix because of the condensation that builds up in the engine and in the can itself. Darker oil is usually in warmer climates.

The reason there aren't catch cans from the factory is because it would violate many EPA regulations. Containing fuel, and oil outside of the engine/fuel tank is frowned upon. Plus if you collect it like this it can't be circulated back into the oil as it will create more h2o content in the oil and break it down faster.
I always wondered, nice to know why.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Remember that withou a catch can the engine invests this a little a time as it's created. A full CC can lead to a solid slug of oil and water entering all at once. If a signifant amount goes into one cylinder? Look up hydrolock. No bueno.
I can't imagine any situation where your engine would ingest enough oil/sludge to hydro-lock, even if the can were filled to the brim and you took a super hard turn or emergency stopped. Having said that, I should probably check my CC so thanks for reminding me. I've got about 4,300 miles on my car and haven't checked the can since about 1,500. I'm curious how much is in there.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I change my oil every 5000 miles and drain the CC then and 1/2 way to next oil change so every 2500 miles. I've been doing that for about the last 20,000 miles and has worked well. I think worst case, I could probably go the full 5000 miles and only drain it at oil changes but that might be pushing it. Plus it's very easy to drain with the Mishimoto CC.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I change my oil every 5000 miles and drain the CC then and 1/2 way to next oil change so every 2500 miles. I've been doing that for about the last 20,000 miles and has worked well. I think worst case, I could probably go the full 5000 miles and only drain it at oil changes but that might be pushing it. Plus it's very easy to drain with the Mishimoto CC.
Yeah, I plan on checking it every thousand miles or so until the oil change (at which point I'll empty it) just because I'm curious how quickly it fills. Obviously it's easier to get a good read on it over longer periods of time and with a larger volume of oil. Also, I think the deposit rate seems to increase with time, as the first time I checked it at 500 miles there was almost no visible oil in the can.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

Aren't catch cans an option on the GT350? Also I seem to recall a car that had them stock but I cant remember what it was.
Sponsored