Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My favorite color combo is red/black. So since I have a Ruby Red with PP wheels I wanted everything feng-shui!

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
i like chrome on some cars, mostly old muscle cars and some older japanese imports. on the s550 depending on what color you got i hate the chrome. On magnetic, black, CO, both reds and yellow i think chrome looks awful. On the DIB i think the chrome gives it a nice touch and should stay.

I blacked out the front and rear pony on my magnetic eco and it looks a lot better to me, im sure it looks bad to some people and thats fine, but its mine so im not out to make them happy.

if i can ever get my hands on a 69 fastback mustang project car ill be putting chrome in all the original places it had chrome.

Sponsored

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
Yes, like those old-farts that placed that 289v-8 emblem on the original Mustang Ponies and started this "Generational Mustang Craze" that you young-bucks enjoy today. The chrome touches on Mustangs have been there from day-one. Chrome's appeal is the fact that it is a reflection of the beholder. Pun intended. Lol.:clap2:
It's not like chrome was something exclusive to Mustangs when they came out. Chrome was everywhere, on very car in those days. In my opinion, it was somewhat fitting back then to a degree, but on some cars there was definitely too much of it. But then again, I do prefer classic Mustangs sans chrome as well.

For newer cars, it just doesn't "go" as well. In the case of the Mustang especially, every bit of the trim is black on the car with the exception of the huge grille emblem, rear deck emblem and fender badges. Black just flows with the rest of the entire car better and has a more aggressive look. Of course, all of this is simply my opinion. Appearance of a vehicle is subjective and every owner has their own taste. If chrome is your thing, bling it up and enjoy. If black is your thing, black it out and enjoy. Either way, we are all car people at the end of the day.

You don't remember the old-timers' put-down that went something like "if it don't go, chrome it"? That's what this disdain and repulsion (as you put it) sounds like to me. Just that the newer crowd isn't familiar with the old saying.

My opinion - it's easy to overdo sparkly bright trim, and even bright emblems, to the point where your eye stops seeing much else. It's also quite possible to go overboard the other way (I believe the current term is "murdered out"), where nothing stands out and the car ends up with almost no definition at all.

Norm
Oh Lord, that's another debate altogether. Apparently, according to the die hards, "murdered out" is a satin or matte black paint finish only, not gloss. But all lenses and wheels can still be gloss black I think. Hell, I can't keep up and I have a Grand National with damn near every inch of it blacked out. :D

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
why did yall resurrect this thread lol

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Old Time solid Chrome

This!! Shiny plastic does not look good. It looks and feels cheap.
I agree that the new chrome accents feel cheap because the chrome accents on my first Mustang 50 years ago were on metal...had some heft in one's hand. A small bit of chrome looks good on the S550 IMHO, but just like breast enhancements on a beautiful women, they can be overdone.:eyebulge: Oh yea, it can be too much!:paddle:

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
I hate everything chrome that's why I have 2 Raptors with NO chrome. Unfortunately I wanted a 50th which has a ton of it but that's being fixed...

Sponsored

steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt black
not a fan of chrome trim all over the car, but the stock decals on the car are not over done in any way, and plasti dippin honestly looks cheap to me...especially on the wheels....now if I could get the decals done in a black chrome or anodized that would look awesome in my opinion....

Dungslinger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
I think the "GT" in the back of the was an after thought, the pony is fine but with that being said the car badges will be blacked soon and will remain that way for as long as I have the PP wheels. I think being that the car is Magnetic it would just look better with the black wheels.

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
not a fan of chrome trim all over the car, but the stock decals on the car are not over done in any way, and plasti dippin honestly looks cheap to me...especially on the wheels....now if I could get the decals done in a black chrome or anodized that would look awesome in my opinion....
The "black chrome" look can be done with the factory ponies, GT and 5.0 emblems. I have done it to a few vehicles over the years. By using the same material used to tint the lenses, it will also "candy coat" the emblems. My painter uses Dupont "Hot Hues" Charcoal Candy. Lay down coats until you get the desired color, then clear. Wet-sand and buff if needed, then reinstall.

Some of the vehicles I have done emblems, lenses or both on to show how you can vary the darkness of the candy...
1986 Grand National

2008 Jeep GC SRT8

2009 Escalade

2010 Camaro SS

2010 Charger SRT8

2011 GT500

2015 Mustang GT