Sponsored

Whipple gen3 locked up... discuss next options?

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I was driving normally to pick up my son when my car suddenly bogged stalled wouldn't start. Towed home.

A month later I finally had time to diagnose thinking I had some engine issue. Pulled plugs, pulled belt off and car turned over just fine.

Turns out whipple won't spin. It only has about 2k miles on it but I've had it a few years so no warranty. Pulled head off and there are some metal shavings on top of the heat exchanger. Have not pulled that off yet.

I contacted whipple and they say it will be between 2k to 5k to fix.

Now I'm debating what to do. I have a fully built/ sleeved motor but my car is a convertible and bad recipe for high horsepower (was making 970 wheel). Car is a manual and has a 6060 swap. Not the easiest thing to launch at the track.

I'm debating. Pull motor try to sell it return car to stock and sell/ trade for a tesla model s? I don't drag race much but be nice to have power for small hits. I like acceleration.

Should I roll the dice have whipple fix head unit?

Should I buy a turbo kit mix things up?

Another thought is buy another mustang that is an auto coupe swap everything over, then sell the convertible as near stock.

Not looking to spend boat loads out of pocket so at a cross which way to go. Would love to have a discussion and share opinions.
Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
90% of your answer is going to be "What do YOU want to do?"

If it was me, I'd go turbo. But I've also never had an FI Coyote, so take that for what it's worth lol

Good luck with whichever direction you take, hate to hear that it happened!

Any idea what caused the failure?

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, no idea what caused the failure.

I realize it's my decision but looking for advice on what others have done. For example say I go turbo or return car to stock... where would I sell my built motor. What would I do with the whipple parts? Junk it? Is there somewhere cheaper/equally as reliable as whipple to repair the head unit?

Just curious what others have done in this boat.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Thanks, no idea what caused the failure.

I realize it's my decision but looking for advice on what others have done. For example say I go turbo or return car to stock... where would I sell my built motor. What would I do with the whipple parts? Junk it? Is there somewhere cheaper/equally as reliable as whipple to repair the head unit?

Just curious what others have done in this boat.
I gotcha. I didn't pick all that up from the 1st post. Wish I had some insight to share!

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'd focus on what caused it. If you didn't do anything abnormal and the unit seized or the rotors binded with the housing, and whipple won't cover it under warranty, then me personally, I wouldn't give them MORE money just to roll the dice with it happening again.

I'm saying this without perfect information. Nothing from your post indicates you did something to cause the failure (but that remains to be seen). Bad installation? (did you do it yourself or have a shop do it). Did you put bags of ice on the housing to cool it down then run it (I'm guessing no, but that's a surefire way to get rotor strike/bind).

If it's truly nothing you did, I wouldn't spend MORE money on a product that's just as likely to do the same thing to you again. Furthermore, if it IS something you did, I'd want to identify that before dropping more coin and having it happen again.

If you decide to cut your losses and move on, then I think it's truly up to you and your financial circumstances.

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Weird that you've had this on the car for a few years with a few thousand miles, with no issues. I have heard some Gen 5's have eaten material on initial startup, but it is strange that this happened out of the blue.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! I did do the install myself but it's fairly straight forward. I did not put bags of ice or anything on it. I was simply driving in the city when it locked up on me.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weird that you've had this on the car for a few years with a few thousand miles, with no issues. I have heard some Gen 5's have eaten material on initial startup, but it is strange that this happened out of the blue.
Agreed. It's odd. My car only has 16k miles total on it. I started with roush vmp supercharger swapped to whipple gen 2 then whipple gen 3. Haven't driven car much, decided needed to take it out. Drove to pick up my son and whipple took a dump.

Last edited:

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Agreed. It's odd. My car only has 16k miles total on it. I started with rough vmp supercharger swapped to whipple gen 2 then whipple gen 3. Haven't driven car much, decided needed to take it out. Drove to pick up my son and whipple took a dump.
My $0.02, Whipple would not get one more penny from me.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Man whipple don’t want to cover nothing. I agree that I’d take a financial hit before giving them 2-5k to fix what is supposed to be covered and a known issue.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
What do you mean by known issue?

And what do you mean by fix what's supposed to be covered? Time wise I'm sure I'm out of warranty.
Nvm. I thought you meant gen 3 coyote. Idk off the top of my head the gen 3 2.9 whipple history. I know the 3.0s have been known to lock up quite often. I’d still hoped whipple would help. 2-5k is a kick to the nuts on a low mile unit.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'd recommend talking to Jon Bond Performance about a rebuild or trade-in. I gave them a call when my gen 2 started making noise. Jon ended up buying my gen 2 from me and I bought a gen 4 to replace it. His rebuild quote was half what Whipple quoted.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I’ve seen some jokes about failures on the trackhawk unit, but I’m not up on my whipples so no idea which model. I’d also want to know a cause
Sponsored

Last edited: