Sponsored

when I'm not working...

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm working.
here is a little of what i do when I'm not at my everyday job. I do powder coating out of my barn. I do a lot of motorcycle tire changes and suspension work in the spring/summer, but last year i decided to start doing this as well so i could fill my fall/winter time with some side work as well. this helps with modding the car faster lol, and its just fun to have a powder coating setup at my disposal. i built my own oven, and run a spectra coat powder coating system. I built a sandblasting booth as well, so that helps out a bit.

Im no pro by any means, but i do alright

Sponsored

Sponsored

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
Wow that's an awesome side gig. I would love to do something like that. What are the basics for the oven build? Bunch of fire brick and gas heat? Sorta on par with a kiln for ceramics or?

I have the space, and a huge local market to fufill, time to do some homework.

OP
OP

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That's how I built mine with the steel studs and sheet metal. The large cost is elements, heat resistant wiring, a good pdi controller, door seal, and I didn't have an extra 220 outlet so I had to run another. My cost on building mine.. Which is internally 6'x4.5'x4.5'. Was around $1200

OP
OP

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just make sure you get a good powder coating system, and build a decent booth. I order all my powder through Prismaticpowder.com. Usually get my powder in 2 days

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
Thanks for the info, my major concern is basically as you mentioned, being sure I get a good system/powder coat for a finished product that I can sell with confidence. After some practice runs on smaller stuff, I'm sure I can come up with great results assuming I do an accurate bid on jobs to include sufficient prep time. I assume the prep is critical just like with painting, and I'll be riding a fine line with getting it clean enough while still keeping the time down to a realistic number of hours to where it's still worth my time.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I am not a bike guy at all, but that is really cool and well done. I can appreciate the work that you do, great side business!

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that is sweet! Great work man!

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'm working.
here is a little of what i do when I'm not at my everyday job. I do powder coating out of my barn. I do a lot of motorcycle tire changes and suspension work in the spring/summer, but last year i decided to start doing this as well so i could fill my fall/winter time with some side work as well. this helps with modding the car faster lol, and its just fun to have a powder coating setup at my disposal. i built my own oven, and run a spectra coat powder coating system. I built a sandblasting booth as well, so that helps out a bit.

Im no pro by any means, but i do alright
Great work!

Do you have any pics of your oven that you built? I'm not building one, just wondering how you built it and what it looks like. It must be huge to fit those parts.

OP
OP

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
ill see if i have any i took, if not ill take some pics and post them when i get time