Sponsored

When can we expect info on the 2021 Mustang GT?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So now that the Mach 1 has been revealed, I'm wondering if anything can be inferred about the '21 GT from it? I really like the new front style, and I'm really hoping it either becomes standard for all V8s as a sort of last facelift for the generation, or at least becomes an option.
I'm not as enamored with the new facia, but I doubt it'll be applied to the EB/GT because they lack any of the coolers.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
A timely bump.

It's now worth highlighting here that the '20MY has been extended to the end of the calendar year (thanks Ace):

2020MY Mustang "Balance Out" date is 12/23/2020.
2021MY Mustang Job #1 Date is 01/04/2021

So, I wouldn't expect any previews/order guides or the like for another 3 months or so (circa Sept/Oct).

As for the Mach 1's fascia becoming standard across the range. I'm not so sure. Personally I'd like it to be unique to the Mach 1, but only time will tell. I know we've seen what appear to be stock GTs with hacked up front fascias, but these could have just been very early Mach 1 mules.

Perhaps we'll see more prototypes soon, which might give us clues.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I'm pretty sure Mach 1 frontend is the MY2021 bumper and all cars get the GT500 diffusor (!). Building a completely new bumper just for a limited edition model? I don't think this would make sense from a business standpoint when they just went with new grille for the Bullitt. Also getting two frontends homologated in EU is throwing away a huge amount of money.

Also this Bullitt was spied with the new frontend. Of course with the Bullitt engines in the Mach 1 they are perfect prototypes. But this one here has no rear spoiler and the base EU GT wheels.

But in the end, we don't know what this frontend was which also had the GT500 diffusor. Since this frontend was also on the first spied Mach 1 prototype I really think Ford just put all the fake camo and moved the turn signals to throw off spyshots.

Guess in the upcoming months we will see first prototypes that gives us the answer how the base EB/GT will look like.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Also.....if there are no changes planned for the EB/GT, why would they bother pushing the model year out to the end of December? Surely if it were just new colors, they would/could have just continued with the usual October-ish date for the model change over.

So, as usual, more questions that answers! Hopefully new spyshots of camo'd prototypes might give us some clues in the coming months :)

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Can't imagine Ford investing much more in this platform, isn't a refresh due in 2022 models or at least rumored to be?

Sponsored

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Can't imagine Ford investing much more in this platform, isn't a refresh due in 2022 models or at least rumored to be?
With the way rapid prototyping with 3d printed materials has exponentially advanced in recent years, model changeover/refresh isn't nearly as costly as it once was, so long as the same tooling can be carried over into the refresh. I think KIA is refreshing every 1.5 to 2 years... or at least that was their plan.

Ford is currently refreshing every 3-4 years as it is now, so refreshing for 21-22 for a model line that needs to evolve quickly isn't unreasonable or out of the question.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
As for the Mach 1's fascia becoming standard across the range. I'm not so sure. Personally I'd like it to be unique to the Mach 1, but only time will tell.

I really hope so but Ford's track with styling lately hasn't been good since 2018 the EB, GT and Bullitt have all used the same front bumper and hood. The only reason the GT350 didn't change the parts where already in production and Ford made the decision not to change the styling. If the front bumper is Mach1 that will take some of the sting out of not really looking like a Mach1.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Mach1 grille with 'wannabe' fog ligthts is just awful IMO. Either put freaking fog lights, or nothing at all. They're MUCH worse than the fake gas cap on our Bullitts :D.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mach1 grille with 'wannabe' fog ligthts is just awful IMO. Either put freaking fog lights, or nothing at all. They're MUCH worse than the fake gas cap on our Bullitts :D.
I'll bet many of the other 49 countries prohibit fog lights being placed there. So Ford will rely on the aftermarket or post-sale branded accessories to provide marker lights (like Dodge Challenger) or other useful purpose. I'll bet an innocent looking wiring harness and plug are sitting right there conveniently tucked into a hollow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EgoBoost

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
As a former Boss 302 owner, I can see why they did it (removable deletes) for extra air flow. Just wish they saved that as a Boss feature. Hopefully the new Boss doesn’t have a shaker hood.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I like it, and plenty of ppl will buy the grille aftermarket and pop lights in em like the last generation. It's def gonna be exclusive to the Mach 1, as the front bumper

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I also have a gut feeling Ford isnt going to do squat with the '21 or '22 mustang. New generation is supposedly the '23 (due out in the latter part of '22?), so nothing but colors rims & options shuffling until then. Camaro selling like crap, car sales in general not doing well, Hackett doesn't have an ounce of love for ICE's or investing in lower volume models, the writing is on the wall.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if even the '23 'redesign' was nothing but styling and content, no real tangible upgrades to the powertrain. Just incremental improvements to the engine/trans/suspension, and even then the power wont even be Mach 1 or Bullitt level bumps...that would be sacrilegious. So maybe ten HP lol. NOTHING significant. I would keep an eye on emerging technologies on other cars getting major refreshes (F150, Mach-E, etc. ) and see if they are 'corporate' upgrades that can find their way to the Mustang (ex. Sync system, autopilot, etc.)

I doubt even more that the Tremec will make its way to any regular GT, ever. They've stuck by the Getrag box for a thousand years and they will continue to do so. Cant step on the Mach 1 by putting in the Tremec (which will run right up until the '23 refresh). Even the Mach 1 is offering an automated transmission. More people are getting the A10 these days, its much cheaper to upgrade the Getrag and improve the A10. Tremec is more expensive per unit, no point wasting the money with less people opting for manuals. This is not a high volume segment. I read somewhere else people were hoping for the 500's trans in the regular cars, and that is highly unlikely as well with the A10 being so young.

my 2 cents

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
bet 10 bucks the tremec will be an option on the standard 2021 2022 gt.
Sponsored