Sponsored

What's involved in replacing the differential bushings?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
The rear end clunk had me cussing yesterday. It's worse when the car is cold, but yesterday I just couldn't get smooth on the clutch either and I've had about enough. I'm putting a new spring in this weekend.

How much work is involved in putting the differential bushings in? Is it like... drain the differential, take off the cover and do some internal stuff or what? I'm mechanically proficient, but most things generally take me 2-3x as long as projected so sometimes I let a pro handle it.
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
There aren't any bushings inside the differential or axle assembly, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Unless you mean the bushings for mounting the carrier to the subframe, or perhaps the subframe to the chassis. But neither of those actually involve the differential itself, or removing the cover and draining the carrier. Unless I'm missing something, but I'm quite certain about the internal bushing part since I know the differential assembly pretty well...

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The rear end clunk had me cussing yesterday. It's worse when the car is cold, but yesterday I just couldn't get smooth on the clutch either and I've had about enough. I'm putting a new spring in this weekend.

How much work is involved in putting the differential bushings in? Is it like... drain the differential, take off the cover and do some internal stuff or what? I'm mechanically proficient, but most things generally take me 2-3x as long as projected so sometimes I let a pro handle it.
http://www.steeda.com/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=483

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
thanks! sounds like it's not too bad.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Pay attention to the tools you'll need. Half-drive ratchet with a long handle (or a breaker bar) and a torque wrench. I honsetly used an impact wrench wherever I could fit it. It's really quite easy, jack it from the rear, put the stands under it. Jack it as high as you can (assuming your not using a lift). I did mine in about an hour.
Fully consider some other things, like the alignment kit, and the IRS bushing supports as if you decide to do them later, you'll just have to take it all apart again. Very easy to do things like those two all together.

Sponsored

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
There's a C.J. Pony parts youtube video on the install that should help greatly

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
the rear bushing or the one closest to the front of the car were a bit tricky. If you can, remove the axle back exhaust and use a jack to lower the differential down enough to get the screw and bushing in there. When I installed mine I had factory exhaust and had my diff touching the exhaust and barely got them in. The ones in the rear of the car are quick.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
the rear bushing or the one closest to the front of the car were a bit tricky. If you can, remove the axle back exhaust and use a jack to lower the differential down enough to get the screw and bushing in there. When I installed mine I had factory exhaust and had my diff touching the exhaust and barely got them in. The ones in the rear of the car are quick.
Pulling the exhaust absolutely helps, almost have to, do the front bushings and the cradle HAS to be lowered to do them. (I tried).
Sponsored