Sponsored

What would happen if I put a small spacer on the upstream O2 sensors?

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just brainstorming a cheap way to use E85 without spending +$150 on re-locating my front (upstream) O2 sensors in my SW headers, the sensors that read air/fuel.

Would using a single spacer on these O2 sensors have adverse effects and make the car run poorly? My thought process is that the sensors would be pulled out of the exhaust stream slightly where they won’t get damaged from E85 moisture, but not pulled out far enough where the sensor won’t give the computer a proper reading.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Where did you hear exhaust moisture from e85 damages o2 sensors?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
It's a known problem. Cars on e85 that don't have angled o2 sensors will eat sensor pretty fast. By angling them slightly, it gives the chance for the extra condensation from the e85 to drain off and not sit on the sensor.

I would think that spacers on the front (upstream) o2 sensors would interfere with them getting the correct reading.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I have to say that’s the first I’ve heard of it. The main products of gasoline (or any HC) is water vapor and co2. I can’t see how e85 would be any different in that regard. Do factory flex fuel vehicles have angled o2 sensors?

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Like @Bluelightning said, those with aftermarket headers have issues when running E85. Angling the sensors allows the condensation to drip off of the sensor instead of remaining on it. It's a common problem, and it costs roughly $150-$250 to have the sensors angled.

It's a known problem. Cars on e85 that don't have angled o2 sensors will eat sensor pretty fast. By angling them slightly, it gives the chance for the extra condensation from the e85 to drain off and not sit on the sensor.

I would think that spacers on the front (upstream) o2 sensors would interfere with them getting the correct reading.
Dang.
Sponsored