Sponsored

What impact will it have on 6-speed sales that PP is no longer exclusive to manuals?

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I have a feeling 2019 will be the last year of the Manual Transmission for the Mustang.
If so, I'm grabbing a 2018-19 GT w/ Manual and keeping that forever.

Sad because it was always cool to say that your car was a stick shift and knowing that the other person most likely couldn't operate it lol. But technology is favoring the lazy so I can see why Auto is going to take over.
I wouldn't call F1 technology lazy. :cheers:
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I have a feeling 2019 will be the last year of the Manual Transmission for the Mustang.
If so, I'm grabbing a 2018-19 GT w/ Manual and keeping that forever.

Sad because it was always cool to say that your car was a stick shift and knowing that the other person most likely couldn't operate it lol. But technology is favoring the lazy so I can see why Auto is going to take over.
Nah, the S650 will still have manual. The demand will still there.

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
The resale value thing is not a matter of opinion or conjecture. It's a fact. Manuals almost always have better resale value. Presumably because among the people who want a stick shift, a higher percentage of them want to buy used cars instead of new.
Also due to the fact autos no matter the brand are way more expensive to repair.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
if terminators came with a fast shifting 10 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. id be interested to know what the sales figures would. be anything pre 2011 auto was almost junk.. like said already the only people still wanting manuals are the ones that just like the novelty or think it makes them more manly. its like a "shaker hood" it does almost nothing just gets in the way of boost.

manual sales will fall which means more money as autos cost more.. i drive a manual but would be fine with a fast shifting 10 speed auto with decent paddles.
Well again, I think on the lot the Auto is more attractive. The manual by nature is a burden to purchase. BUT when you want a manual car, you want a manual car. That's just it. It'll be easier for auto PP cars to sell I believe. The manual cars will retain value later on though as they'll be less common.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Well again, I think on the lot the Auto is more attractive. The manual by nature is a burden to purchase. BUT when you want a manual car, you want a manual car. That's just it. It'll be easier for auto PP cars to sell I believe. The manual cars will retain value later on though as they'll be less common.
not sure what you mean by retain their value.. they wont be worth more than an auto. the demand is higher.. but yes there are people that will just want a manual.. they usual are priced so close to each other there is no noticeable difference.. like factory the auto is what 1200 more? when dealing with cars 25-40k thats not much difference. i dont believe they will be discontinued just wont sell as much.. i enjoy both auto and manual.

Sponsored

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
I don't think it'll have anything to do with the PP Auto option. It has everything to do with the new 10 speed.

I put 400 miles on a rental auto 5.0 convertible last weekend and was not a fan of the shift strategy of the A6, even in sport or sport+. It either shifted too quickly into a high gear, or held a low gear way too long when I didn't need it. I ended up using the paddles most of the time so I could keep it in the RPM range I wanted.

I hear good things about the A10 in the Camaro and hopefully with so many gears, the trans will always be able to find the perfect gear for the situation.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
not sure what you mean by retain their value.. they wont be worth more than an auto. the demand is higher.. but yes there are people that will just want a manual.. they usual are priced so close to each other there is no noticeable difference.. like factory the auto is what 1200 more? when dealing with cars 25-40k thats not much difference. i dont believe they will be discontinued just wont sell as much.. i enjoy both auto and manual.
Go look at used 5.0 GT's, Camaros, Vettes etc. The manual cars are more expensive in a comparable mileage/shape. Automatic cars fester on the lots. These aren't cars your grandmother drives. It's an enthusiast car.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Automatic cars are so boring. They are meant to be only for daily drivers. Prefer a manual over an auto anyday especially on a sports car.

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
My last car was a 2012 Boss 302.

My current is a 2015 GT auto. I love a manual with a torque happy V8 as much as anyone but the reality is that automatics are just getting better and better. The newer programming and paddles make them way more engaging. And now overall, autos are just the faster transmission. This is the reason you will see some sort of auto in the GT350 and the forthcoming GT500.

But manuals aren't going anywhere anytime soon. At least not in this segment.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Go look at used 5.0 GT's, Camaros, Vettes etc. The manual cars are more expensive in a comparable mileage/shape. Automatic cars fester on the lots. These aren't cars your grandmother drives. It's an enthusiast car.
plenty of non enthusiasts drive mustangs, camaros and corvettes.. people that leave the cars all stock and drive it around in base form just cuz they like the looks of a sports car.. if there is a price difference between a manual and an auto i bet its not enough that if you offered them 1000 less they wouldnt take it.. when the autos are getting better and better its not like the old 4 and speed autos that were garbage boxes

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
We've reached the point in time where the automatic has surpassed the manual transmission in shifting and speed. Drag or circuit, it's still better.

Fun factor is pretty much the only determining factor left between the two. Personally, I feel like I have a lot more control over the car with a manual and love how it sounds versus an auto. Exhaust sounds really nice with manual shifts.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I don't think the mustang will abandon the manual for another 5-10 years. It's a low tier car after all and dual clutches and better alternatives will gradually trickle down just like the 10 spd or even 6spd auto

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
They aren't more expensive. There are just more auto equipped cars produced hence the 'festering' on the lots

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
Maybe the result will simply be more PP sales. Were there really that many people who don't really like manuals but bought one anyway JUST to get a few PP goodies? If the situation were reversed I can tell you there's no way I would order a PP if it only came in Auto. Here we are in year 2 and the GT350's still typically sell with a mark-up and it's manual only. If they offered an auto option I'm sure they'd sell more. I will tell you that a friend who owns one (among 5 other cars) would NEVER have even looked at it if it only came in auto.

I certainly don't disagree with any of the pro-auto comments made, but I think as long as they offer them, there will always be people who simply prefer manuals. To me, I've never seen the appeal of a pressing buttons/paddles to shift. Seems like an awkward, disconnected, outgrowth of a video game.

For myself, most of the joy of driving a manual does NOT come when driving 9/10ths or higher, it's when you're driving at 5/10th - which is most of the time!

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
like said already the only people still wanting manuals are the ones that just like the novelty or think it makes them more manly.
Really, this is the only reason people buy manuals? Can't be because a lot of us truly feel happier to row through the gears. Also can't be the fact that on a race track or auto cross course, sometimes it's better to hold a gear than to shift at certain times.

I think it's fine if you like your auto. I also think it's crap to throw out a blanket statement like you did above. That would be like me saying people that like autos must not know how to drive or don't like that they can't apply makeup when working a stick.
Sponsored