Water pump? failed. Is the engine OK?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Hello; No opinion on engine condition as that all depends how hot and for how long. My comment is more about warning signs. I do not know if Ford factory antifreeze smells different that all other types of antifreeze, but I seriously doubt such. It seems very likely you were smelling hot antifreeze for some time before the catastrophic failure.
When the squealing started my guess is the smell had to be strong as hot antifreeze was released onto a hot engine. Should have been plenty of steam as well. I have had hoses rupture and the smell and cloud of steam is hard to miss.

Anyway, regardless of the outcome for the engine, you have a life lesson at hand. Remember that hot antifreeze smell. When you smell it check under the hood right way. Try not to panic if the smell shows up in a crowded parking lot as it may be another car. I often catch that smell in lots.

Good luck anaway
Also, this is why you should always periodically look at your gauges; long before it got really hot you would've seen the temp gauge slowly climbing up higher and higher.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Also, this is why you should always periodically look at your gauges; long before it got really hot you would've seen the temp gauge slowly climbing up higher and higher.
Hello; Lots of signs when a car runs hot. You add another. I have replaced bad water pumps. Sometimes the bearings have been particularly bad. When the bearings get lose then the seals begin to leak. I look for the weep hole to see if antifreeze if present.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I feel like this failed quickly. I check my gauges often and didn't notice any signs of it overheating and did not smell any coolant. On my last drive, about 30min before it, failed I started hearing a squealing as the fluid hit the belt, but I was in traffic and just assumed it was one of the cars around me. About 20min later I started smelling a bad smell, not a coolant smell, at least not the coolant smell I'm use to, and then about 5min later the warning flashed on my dash. When I pulled over the coolant was all over my engine bay and pouring out from under the car.

Is it common for sudden failures when the bearings on these fail?

Anyway, I got the car back and now it's good to go (I think). Last night when I went to take it on a drive for the first time since I got it back I started hearing a weird noise, but I think it's the coolant residue on the pulleys and belt. I washed it down so I'll see if thats the case tonight. I'd rather not have to put it in the dealer again. I feel like my cars been in the dealer more than my driveway, lately.
Sponsored