Sponsored

Was it the 5.0 or the 3.73s?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Went on my second test drive of the 2015 GT yesterday. The first time a few weeks ago I tried the automatic; yesterday I tried the manual. When I tried the automatic I was quite impressed by the pull of it; first time in a 5.0. It was a big upgrade from my 4.6. But yesterday I felt like I was strapped into a rocket with that GT w/PP. Honestly, the car punched me in the gut. :headbang:

I was expecting the 3.73s to have more aggressive acceleration but I didn't expect the difference to be that huge. Am I just imagining things or do 3.73s have that large of an impact on performance? Given that I have only driven in a 5.0 twice maybe there were other variables at play that made the auto not feel as quick.

Would love thoughts from you guys as I am still debating on whether to go with PP or not - although leaning towards it now as I had a blast yesterday despite still trying to figure out the clutch.
Sponsored

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
Depends on how you plan on using the car, or if that even matters to you. Ours is primarily a weekend car and may get driven once or twice during the week so the 3.73 gearing effect on fuel economy isn't really a factor. BUT, after driving the PP car with 3.73s then driving the other optioned cars- there was no way i couldn't NOT buy the car with PP. Honestly even on road trips it doesn't bother me a bit and i enjoy the extra punch!

I remember when we traded in our 2004 convertible GT for our 2011 GT w Brembo/3.73s after the 5.0 was reintroduced back to the Mustang and it scared the crap out of me the first time i really got into it so i can relate to where your coming from- HUGE difference.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes the 3.73s make a huge difference in performance. In first gear with my base GT I'm going at least 30 before the engine seems to wake up. The 3.73s let you get into the power band at street legal speeds.

I had 3.73s in my 2011, the mpg during my daily commute is about 1-2 better with the crappy stock gears in my base model GT. All my driving is mixed (on the highway but in bumper to bumper traffic often). I was getting 19-20 and now I'm getting 21.

I used the 2011 as a daily driver. I learned to skip shift when not in a hurry. With 3.73s you don't need to shift 5 times to get to 60 and 6th gear. Two is enough.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I like my 3.55's with the auto. I believe the ratio of first gear in the automatic with 3.55s is numerically higher than that of the manual with 3.73s. Whatever the case lower gears get you that little bit extra acceleration. :) Enjoy. :D

Travbedaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB Prem
Was the first test drive with stock gears or 3.55's? There wasnt a big difference between the 3.55 and 3.73 when I drove both, but I never test drove the 5.0 with stock gears.

Sponsored

StangIt #1

POWERED BY Coffee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550/SN95 GT's
I would be curious to know if the auto you test drove had the adjustable drive modes? Depending on the setting, you will also experience a notable difference in throttle response and smoothness. I haven't used "Track" mode, yet, but there is a significant difference in seat-of-the-pants feel between Rain/Snow, Normal, and Sport+ modes.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I should be receiving my gt premium manual 3.31 next week so I can't really compare but in my opinion unless you're going to the track to race your car the PP is overkill. For everyday driving you must shift more often, the gas mileage is worse, winter cold requires another set of tires, and the lower profile wheels make you very susceptible to bent or damaged wheels. Don't get me wrong , the car looks a lot tougher and I'm sure handles much better at highspeed slalom, and it's a great deal for $2500 but just not practical for everyday in my opinion. I think if you know how to drive the manual, you can get the same power out of the 3.31. Again just my opinion, and why I went with no PP.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
lol @ PP not being practical

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
^^Meh, really isn't impractical to get the PP. Our 2011 with pretty much the same options was a DD and we averaged 21mpg around town. Never had any issues with bent or damaged wheels either, not like were riding in a Donk with 26's and rubberband tires lol. If you go with the PP, you won't regret it- honestly think it's how all Mustangs should come from the factory, in my opinion, anything else is just to docile for my tastes. I buy Mustangs to DRIVE them and enjoy them how they were intended to be.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It's not like the Car is a dog without the PP! LOL
When I had my 01 GT, I changed the gears, Did Cold air intakes, exhaust and tune and short throw shifter, EB springs, 275 Summer tires, etc and the car handled great on a hot day but just wasn't comfortable anymore.
I'm 36 and live in Chicago, just have to be more practical now I guess. Believe me I went back and forth for a few months before ordering and I was on a $35k budget so I had to pick what I thought was more important.
I will say this, last fall ford came to a mall parking lot with a pro driver and PP 15 Stang, he made that thing stick through a course like I've never seen, I was totally white knuckled!

Sponsored

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
It's not like the Car is a dog without the PP! LOL
When I had my 01 GT, I changed the gears, Did Cold air intakes, exhaust and tune and short throw shifter, EB springs, 275 Summer tires, etc and the car handled great on a hot day but just wasn't comfortable anymore.
I'm 36 and live in Chicago, just have to be more practical now I guess. Believe me I went back and forth for a few months before ordering and I was on a $35k budget so I had to pick what I thought was more important.
I will say this, last fall ford came to a mall parking lot with a pro driver and PP 15 Stang, he made that thing stick through a course like I've never seen, I was totally white knuckled!
Oh i agree, it's not a dog at all- but until i'm old and achy and have to resort to 35pmh on the interstate, like you see most Corvette owners lol, i want the most beastly factory optioned car i can afford!! For the cost of a base model 2015 with the added PP option and Recaros, it's just hard to beat!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I totally know what you're saying! The PP is awesome bang for the buck!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I drove both a Mustang GT Premium with and without the PP around town. I couldn't really tell a difference. The MT82 transmission in these cars is a close ratio 5 speed (5th gear is 1:1). So with the 3.31 rear end it seems this car is somewhat "lower geared" than other 6-speed manuals out there that still have a 1:1 4th gear. For what I do with the car, the non-PP is plenty good for the street. If someone was going to track the car, then obviously having the PP would be a must.

altieryikes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Did you also consider the 3.55 rear? In all the discussions I've read in various threads, I'm pretty sure I understand the difference between the different ratios.

I'm not getting the performance package, so it's just stock or upgrade to 3.55 for me. 95% of my daily drive are streets, but I'd like to get a decent pull when I want it. I hope between 3.31 and 3.55 isn't that significant of a difference as it would be going from 3.31 and 3.73.

I'll be test driving in a couple weeks, so hopefully I'll feel the difference to make the right choice.

I drove both a Mustang GT Premium with and without the PP around town. I couldn't really tell a difference. The MT82 transmission in these cars is a close ratio 5 speed (5th gear is 1:1). So with the 3.31 rear end it seems this car is somewhat "lower geared" than other 6-speed manuals out there that still have a 1:1 4th gear. For what I do with the car, the non-PP is plenty good for the street. If someone was going to track the car, then obviously having the PP would be a must.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ For someone who doesn't plan on taking it out on a race course, the 3.55 rear end is probably the best option if you want a little more "pull" on the street. And you can option the 3.55 differential without getting the Performance Package (3.73 diff is the only way the PP comes). It's all personal choice of course.
Sponsored