Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Update

Well not much of an update. It's 8 business days later since the "event". The dealer tells me that all they know is that the engine is on back order with no ETA. I was told my order/claim is an "emergency" claim which I guess creates some sort of urgency around it.

On a side note, I'm trying to get the dealer to do the cooled seats TSB and fix my rear bumper fitment while the car is sitting there.

I've missed 4 days of beautiful weather to go for drives so far while my car sits with an oil pump that failed during just street driving for 3200 miles.
Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
hate to say it but just more evidence Ford was not ready to roll out this car. Zero engines, really. Pretty scary. Hopefully for most it is a second or third vehicle.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What is the TSB for?
It's unrelated to my engine failure: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42146

Basically the cooled seats were designed about as well as the oil pump in our engines. In that the heat exchanger vents heat into the sealed seat back, relying on the seat back to ventilate the heat to the cabin air. If the cabin is warm and/or if you have heat coming into the rear of the vehicle (i.e. the sun) then the seat back gets hotter and hotter and hotter (convection oven). You get a cooled bottom of the seat and very hot shoulders/back.

Last edited:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
[MENTION=24548]kairojya[/MENTION], so you're driving a rental the whole time?

Reminds me of when the seatbelt broke on my 01 Corvette and the dealer put me in an Impala for two months because the part was on back order and they weren't allowed to release the car with a non-functioning safety belt.

So for two months I paid $525 a month to drive an 01 Impala.

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I sure hope they provided you with a free loaner, that's the least they can do.
Hope this gets resolved in a timely manner.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The dealer has provided me with a rental. I can't fault the dealership at this time, they've done as best as they can so far from what I've seen. We'll see how it goes once they actually start working on my car, I'll hold off on commenting until after my review of the car.

The dealer is actually out of loaner cars so they (or Ford?) are paying for a rental for me. So yea, I'm making payments on some portion of a $65k car, and paying insurance on it, while driving a 38,000 mile Toyota Corolla that smells like children threw up in it.

I've actually been driving around my nearly 26 year old Mazda Miata with it's original engine and 155k miles on it, until I can get a better rental. The Enterprise I rented from was actually out of cars too except for a minivan that I believe is too expensive for what Ford/warranty will pay. I love the fact that my 25+ year old car is more reliable than my 2016 car. :clap2:

I've been thinking a lot about getting rid of the GT350 when I can, and putting an LS in my Miata, in spite of all this!

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
That's pretty shitty, can you appeal to ford to make your payments until your car is returned? Possibly extending your warranty?

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That's pretty shitty, can you appeal to ford to make your payments until your car is returned? Possibly extending your warranty?
I've reached out to my regional Ford Service rep. Nothing has come of it yet, though I believe their work hours were impacted by Hurricane Matthew as I was told they are located in SE Florida.

I'm going to start calling Ford's main customer service number today and see what happens.

As far as them making payments, I doubt they'd do that. It's not their fault that the customer financed the car, you know? I have heard of a new (aluminum body) F150 owner having Ford pay their financing interest while their car sat waiting on back ordered body panels. If that's all I get out of this, I'd not be very happy!

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
It's unrelated to my engine failure: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42146

Basically the cooled seats were designed about as well as the oil pump in our engines. In that the heat exchanger vents heat into the sealed seat back, relying on the seat back to ventilate the heat to the cabin air. If the cabin is warm and/or if you have heat coming into the rear of the vehicle (i.e. the sun) then the seat back gets hotter and hotter and hotter (convection oven). You get a cooled bottom of the seat and very hot shoulders/back.
Does anyone know if this was resolved in the '17 model, or does it apply to them also? I think mine are fine but I'm going to check them to be sure.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I've reached out to my regional Ford Service rep. Nothing has come of it yet, though I believe their work hours were impacted by Hurricane Matthew as I was told they are located in SE Florida.

I'm going to start calling Ford's main customer service number today and see what happens.

As far as them making payments, I doubt they'd do that. It's not their fault that the customer financed the car, you know? I have heard of a new (aluminum body) F150 owner having Ford pay their financing interest while their car sat waiting on back ordered body panels. If that's all I get out of this, I'd not be very happy!
Ford offered me a rental when my f150 vacuum booster pump failed and they were on nationwide back order. Fun fact, I called my insurance provider at the time and I had limited rental coverage on my policy. Calling was almost an afterthought however something told me to be safe. When I went back and asked about all or part of the added insurance they of course denied. I ended up just driving one of my own vehicles as I didn't want to waste more money on a 2 month policy booster or paying 14 dollars a day to Enterprise. So my F150 less than a year old sat, and sat. Parked in the rain, and snow, at the dealer for 49 days, meanwhile other Ford dealers had the part in stock and were gouging on Ebay. The 2 days I actually had the rental before I realized it had different policy parameters they were nice enough to cover me for 24 dollars a day, which got me a Chrysler 200 with bad alignment, a cracked window, and a smell that I can only imagine came from blunts.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Ford offered me a rental when my f150 vacuum booster pump failed and they were on nationwide back order. Fun fact, I called my insurance provider at the time and I had limited rental coverage on my policy. Calling was almost an afterthought however something told me to be safe. When I went back and asked about all or part of the added insurance they of course denied. I ended up just driving one of my own vehicles as I didn't want to waste more money on a 2 month policy booster or paying 14 dollars a day to Enterprise. So my F150 less than a year old sat, and sat. Parked in the rain, and snow, at the dealer for 49 days, meanwhile other Ford dealers had the part in stock and were gouging on Ebay. The 2 days I actually had the rental before I realized it had different policy parameters they were nice enough to cover me for 24 dollars a day, which got me a Chrysler 200 with bad alignment, a cracked window, and a smell that I can only imagine came from blunts.
Damn, well at least I'm not alone. Good point about insurance coverage, apparently my state farm coverage extends to any rental car, though with my comp/collision deductibles.

Speaking of your truck sitting on the lot, it makes me wonder what would happen if we have another hail storm here (unlikely this time of year) while my car is sitting there on their lot. Not much I can do about it other than bother with towing it home then back once an engine comes in.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Here is what happened to my motor when then OPG failed, like you I turned motor off and pulled over right away. The heads cams and most of the crank was fine. The damage was on 2 rod bearings that spun on the crank.
IMG_0686.JPG

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Here is what happened to my motor when then OPG failed, like you I turned motor off and pulled over right away. The heads cams and most of the crank was fine. The damage was on 2 rod bearings that spun on the crank.
Thanks for sharing. I wish I could afford to tear down my engine and figure out what went wrong and what damage it caused. I'll likely never know :(. Additionally, I never realized there were 2 rods per those sections of the crank (I don't even know what they're called). I guess it makes sense, otherwise a V8 crank would be way longer. I wondered this when I got the little FPC model from Ford Performance in my supplement kit. I assumed they only sent half of a crank due to size/cost lol.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Update

I've spoken with a representative from Ford. My car doesn't meet lemon law or guidelines in my state for buy back. So Ford is doing only what they're obligated to do, which is to make a fair attempt at fixing my car's problem and to provide me with a loaner (of arguably vastly different value and performance of the vehicle I purchased).

Ford doesn't care about my concern over depreciation. They won't get me a replacement car or buy mine back. They can't even offer me any extended warranty because I already have the max 100k mile coverage they offer.

Speaking of extended warranty: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66930
I recently read my contract/T&Cs and it explicitly states the Shelby GT350 is not covered. So in addition to paying a markup for this fucking car, the extended warranty the dealer sold me doesn't even cover my car. I'm to spend more of my time contacting Ford and trying to get an answer OR refund for this. GREAT

Also, 12 days after leaving my broken car at the dealer, I'm finally given an ETA of 10/28 for my engine to be "shipped" by. Then I get to wait around to see if/what the dealer fucks up on the car. My car has been sitting outside on their lot the entire time (except for the minimal amount of time they spent verifying I have no oil pressure). It has a huge bird shit on the hood that looks like it's already eaten into the clear. Needless to say, I hope I get the car back working and in short order, so I can hurry up and list the fucking thing for sale.

As enjoyable as this car was [when it worked], there's no way this car has been worth the hassle and $5-10k depreciation after only 3 months (not counting ADM!). Of course, I won't know the full extent of my depreciation until I find a buyer willing to buy this thing. I greatly look forward to dealing with this, after returning to normal life after my wedding next week!
Sponsored